Favorite Salad ideas? they can't all be lettuce based right?

Options
2»

Replies

• jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I like shredded cabbage or broccoli slaw. I eat a lot before I add any dressing... But just some simple egg-free mayo or gloppy tahini can do it for me.

Also if not in the mood for lettuce, just cut up other veggies and enjoy by themselves, such as English cucumbers, radishes, sweet bell peppers (or green if you like), celery, mushrooms, etc.
  • stephaniek511
    stephaniek511 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    We love any kind of vegetable salads. We have also noticed, that constantly changing salad dressings makes a big difference. We always mix our own and use lots of different herbs which we grow ourselves.

This is a big key for me as well - it's the dressing that keeps it exciting. I'm slowly learning to do my own so I can switch it up more often than I can with an entire bottle of dressing.

I've also adopted throwing on grains, beans, and roasted veggies as others have suggested. Makes me feel like I'm having a "real" meal instead of just greens.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I stopped using lettuce in my salads and have been substituting shredded cabbage.
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I made this a few months ago for the first time and it has become one of my favorites:

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/guides/the-complete-mediterranean-cookbook/egyptian-barley-salad