your mistakes made

Replies

• BrettNS
    BrettNS Posts: 41 Member
    Jams29 wrote: »
    Thinking I could guesstimate calories in food and not bothering to log it....ended up gaining back all the weight I had lost 😭

The same for me, also not logging caused me to slip back into old habits.
  • derbygraham
    derbygraham Posts: 47 Member
    I find that I can go for two weeks before I begin to fail.
  • janvcooper
    janvcooper Posts: 86 Member
    not giving up cognac for breakfast after night shift
  • derbygraham
    janvcooper wrote: »
    I wouldn't call that a mistake although I do find beer is a more pleasant breakfast drink. :-)

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    I wouldn't call that a mistake although I do find beer is a more pleasant breakfast drink. :-)

Good on cornflakes?
  • derbygraham

Good on cornflakes?

Ohh. I have never tried Beer with Cornflakes. ...Cornflakes with Vodka? The best. :)
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member

Good on cornflakes?

Ohh. I have never tried Beer with Cornflakes. ...Cornflakes with Vodka? The best. :)

:laugh:
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member
    Estimating by eyeballing. Also mistaking a piece of protein as one serving. For example my salmon fillets I assumed was one serving actually need to have 1/3 removed or I'm overeating my serving (not that I care if I have the calories but it's way more than I originally thought). With toppings it adds up. A chicken breast from Costco is two servings at least. Trusting calories from a recipe was a mistake too, they're rarely correct when entering in recipe builder. On that note trusting calories in packaged products as well.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Not logging, not pre logging or looking up a food or serving before eating, not weighing foods, not prelogging my day. Not knowing what correct portions were. Exercising too much. Things I learned along the way. I didn’t preplan meals for my week or even food prep in the beginning, but I learned for me it’s important bc then I’ll tend to eat without borders. Learning correctly to portion and what a serving is and weighing my food and counting my calories changed my weight loss dramatically. I didn’t want to be one of those people but then I learned I had to be if I wanted success. Pre logging and then meal prep came later and helped get my eating under control and attain my calorie goals daily or within range. I stopped doing my diet and forgot all my tricks and things and gained weight of course. But I’m back to make it work bc I have to. Also learned to take off bread to omit fries or other things to cut calories when out or to have half a portion to cut Calories
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    The only real mistake was once I reached my goal, and was able to maintain for awhile I stopped logging and weighing myself. This led to some yo-yo behaviour and wasted time as I had to get re-focused. I am always able to reel it back in, but for a few months at a time, I am pretty mad at myself for ruining a good portion of my hard work.
  • spacetreemonkey
    spacetreemonkey Posts: 171 Member
    Eating too many dates and not tracking. Also eating back all my exercise calories from fitbit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Not eating exercise calories / using TDEE - deficit.

I lost 120 pounds by selecting not active and adding exercise and eating those calories back. I used to literally log cleaning as exercise and I’d eat them back. I lost weight at the expected rate.

At my smallest I’d eat back 75% and again lost at the expected rate.

My day is very sedentary and as it turns out if I never moved from the couch I would be fine. Having the motivation of earning calories back really got me active for the first time ever and it felt amazing.

This was like a decade ago but there was a big shift in fitness places from earning back food to using tdee. I know they are basically the same but it was really my undoing. Without earning calories I had less motivation to exercise. I got stressed out over activity level. Was I picking the right one? Was I exercising enough to be lightly active?

I have been struggling with losing weight ever since I moved to tdee Vs neat + exercise. The second I decide that idgaf and move back to logging exercise calories I start losing again and am so much happier.

Maybe the opposite is true for you. But for me the worst thing I ever did was stop logging exercise calories .

I totally relate. I exercise for health and I like to exercise, but logging my exercise to earn calories that day is a big incentive for me to do it.
  • Flo131LB
    Flo131LB Posts: 9 Member
    My mistake, was believing packaged food nutritionally, they write on - ie shop sells a burger and says it’s so many calories, for its weight of 150grams, so you add the calories, to your diary, but i actually weigh, everything now, as many a time, that burger, that is supposed to weigh 150 grams, is nearer to 300 grams, which then, adds more calories to my diary ! Weigh everything yourself.
  • tfirman
    tfirman Posts: 6 Member
    Eating something that I shouldn’t or eating too much and thinking this won’t hurt me. Then, not getting on the scales due to being afraid of what the number is going to be.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 880 Member
    Eating too much, go for longer than one day before getting back on track.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,408 Member
    Wasting time worrying about being mad at myself, or suffering guilt over a few days off track.

I have the knowledge and ability and will to get right back on track, so even now, still need to learn to give those feelings up.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Early in my lifting days, sacrificing form for weight resistance. Which led to a couple of injuries. I preach now, it's not about the weight but about the movement and execution.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png