WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2019

Replies

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Love the new do Rori💖
  • cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Pip-that is so scary!! I remember choking as a child on a piece of candy. It is the worst sense of helplessness. I’m so glad somebody knew what to do. One of the requirements in high school here is to get CPR certified and learn the Heimlich. My daughter certified last year.

Have to admit I was bad this evening. We had a rare night without commitments so we went to Texas Roadhouse. Yes, I ate the rolls!! It was yummy, and I can start over tomorrow!!

Connie in KY
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Heather, I’m so glad you had your time with Ros while she was still able to be conversant and able to appreciate the love you held for each other.

Pip, i know what a “plank holder” is in the Navy. I presume it means something similar with an Amazon Building? Your pictures of your dogs, past and present, show me just how much you enjoy their company! What merry, well-groomed dogs! I meant to ask if you ever ride out around Issaquah. There are so many great trails out here, as well as the paths along Lake Sammamish. I see troops of bikes, and individuals all the time.

Linda in Far North Ontario, hope you get used to the insulin protocol quickly and remain stable. Glad you’re feeling so much better.

I’ll post more later. I’m late going home from a quick dinner out.

Sharon Near Seattle
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Rori Lovely photo! Nice hair.

________

Thanks for all the turtle memories, they were fun & interesting!

_______

Hoping now that SOLs are over, Grandson can finish his i-Ready tests online...maybe today?...then he will be done for the year (except I still have to log attendance. Silliness.)

Made gazpacho yesterday. OMG it's so good.

Karen in Virginia
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Rori love your new "do" :)

Happy Friday everyone, looking forward to a restful 3-day weekend. I need some time and space to sleep, read, walk and garden.

NYKAREN
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,636 Member
    morning ladies~I am up and had 1/2 cup of tea.. my gout is acting up a bit so I am not hoofing around alot and have light shoes on..I made the mistake of having a quest bar, and now have an upset stomach... so am having some peppermint tea..
    my brother wants to borrow money, im torn between giving it to him,or not.. he borrowed 1000.00 that I didnt get back as he has no paying job, and he has taken money out of his wifes account.. so she has barred him from that.. If I give him money it will be a gift, because I know I wont get it back.. and that is that..
    no huge plans for the weekend..
    Lisa glad your feeling a bit better.. Pip thank God someone saved you and you are here to enjoy that awesome vacation..
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2019
    Allie Only you can decide about giving your brother money, and you are right to make it a gift if you decide to. I have been where you are with my own brothers, and finally had to say "no more money". Since then, one of my brothers is in almost daily contact & never mentions money, and the other is snarky even when I send him birthday and Christmas gift cards from Amazon. That brother also asked for, & got, a lot of money from Mom when she was alive. He is 70 this summer but has never figured out how to provide properly for himself. We (his family) subsidized him for many years. I assume he is getting some kind of aid from the government at this point. My taxes at work. :D:D:D

Beth Ooooohh! Good luck at the endodontist's. Ugh. Sorry you have to do that.

Kelly I can hardly wait until Joaquin is with his (insert your grandma name here)! And if I feel this excited, I can only imagine how you feel!!!

Karen in Virginia
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    It's so hard to figure out how to be compassionate without enabling my deceased friend's caregiver. For now, I'm determined never to send any $$ or gift cards, but willing to arrange for delivery of groceries and pay for a bus pass, if he'll go to health services and apply for assistance. But he seems unwilling, unable to stand in line or fill out forms. Catch 22.

Yesterday roofer didn't come, nor let us know when he will. Played "foot" with Tumble, made brown rice, sent trip info to Denise and spent a lot of time texting with friend's caregiver.
    Today I will order groceries for the caregiver, go to T'ai Chi and line dancing, squeeze in a call to widowed friend.

pip that amazon biz card IS cool and so is the story. Choking on taste of Costco potato salad? You're right, we all, but especially hostess of tasting tables, should know how to do the tummy thrusts. Safe travels!
    Machka Thanks for the HowTo search all threads for posts by specific someone, containing string, within date range. Answers all my objections to the quick search by page. You and Lisa are my heroes!
    I love that you're featured in a film about TBI, but even more I love your hint about the expert team team waiting in the wings. Bravissima!
    Rori hubba hubba hair!
    Margaret "...keep the circling birds away ... but let... become strong enough to do their own swimming" Wise words! Thanks!
    allie glad you understand any $$ you give your brother will be a gift, not a loan. Hard as it may be, ask yourself if the $$ will help or enable. Starting to ask myself things like "so when these (groceries, funds, gifts) are gone, then what?" Realizing that misplaced kindness actually postpones the consequences that can help bring the person around.
    KJ never thought to snip the plasting cap rings, thanks! Have been a six-pack snipper since the sixties ;) Fingers Xd for a restful Monday.
    Beth Hard to guide hubs to accept baby steps. Sending safe calm energy.
    Karen in VA your taxes and mine ;}

Unkh. Just got a letter from the IRS saying we owe over $7K in underpaid taxes from 2017. Don't know yet how I made THAT mistake nor how we'll pay. Makes the decision not to help the caregiver for me. We'll both have to take care of our own business. Will work on this today too.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    walk one more step 12/31, 60 g protein 19/31, rx/vits 19/31, meditate 1/31, knee exercises 5/31, SWSY 0/9, play with Tumble 11/31, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 16/31.
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD! Word for May "pause" Thank you Barbie!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,431 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    Did Kathy Smith Ultimate Sculpt DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Reebok Cardio Tone DVD

Mary – tell me how hard maintenance is. I wish I had some pearls of wisdom for you but, alas, I don’t. I usually watch what I eat.

M – Michele LeGrand is a famous pianist. I’m not sure if he has an “e” at the end of his name, tho

Pip – any special plans for your vacation? Have a great time. I don’t like potato salad. Sure was great that stranger was there for you

KJ – love the book

Connie in KY – so sorry for your loss

Linda – always so great to see you. Come by more often

Drkatie – great news on those tests. Regardless of what the doc says, you are doing great

Went in the pool, now working on Denise’s Diamond Dotz. It’s going pretty quick. Went in the spa a bit. Need to take a shower.

Michele in NC where it’s expected to get in the 90’s

Not really. Just relax and enjoy each other’s company, eat new food and drink!
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,283 Member
    It's Friday! I am trying to catch up here...

Margaret
    - I always enjoy seeing your flowers.... the ones in the gardens you visit and the ones you paint. <3B) What a super cute little house.

Pip - you are probably on your way? Holy smokes regarding the choking on the potato salad. I have to constantly remind myself to slow down and chew my food. One of my vitamins wanted to go down sideways after supper last night and I thought of you. Managed to cough it up and redirect it, lol. Sorry if TMI! Anyhow, Pip & Kirby, have a great trip. We wanna see pictures!!

Barbara AHMOD - good luck with the IRS and hopefully it's just a clerical or bank error. I got a similar letter last year when our bank decided to call an IRA roll-over a distribution. I knew I was in the right and would work out, but getting the bank to dig out the paperwork and set it right with the IRS made me a little crazy. They didn't seem to be in a hurry then discovered the gal who made the error no longer worked there and they couldn't find the paperwork sent to the IRS in the first place .... lame excuse. I was pretty straightforward with them and asked if any other customers might be in jeopardy. The ENTJ/INTJ just comes out sometimes, lol. Oh, and took our money out of that institution.

Rori
    - love the haircut. Glad you are only a couple weeks away from giving your boot the boot. Sorry to hear your Morton's Neuroma is kicking up.

Speaking of feet, I'm getting my new orthotics broken in. Put them in my old Keen sturdy shoes. The orthotics guy told me they were a half size too short. I told him before this happened they were the most comfortable shoes I had ever worn and what they recommended - big toe box, sole not real flexible, etc.

He told me I needed to wear cushioned socks - I had some already and with the orthotics, I do need larger shoes. But in the meantime I ordered some Injinji "Toe" socks. My marathon running friend said she wears them all the time in her house.... they look like Pip's running shoes. Anyhow, they look silly but fit just fine in my Keens and seem to be the perfect solution. Next step is probably getting some lighter running type shoes, they recommend the "Hoka One One" with the roller sole.... when the budget allows, maybe next month.

Also, I discovered something to rub on my feet after I've worn my shoes for a long time and my feet/toes are hot and tired. It's called "Frankincense & Myrrh Neuropathy Rubbing Oil". Seems to work well at night too before bed when my feet sometimes burn. I've never been diagnosed with neuropathy but the symptoms sound familiar. This stuff works.

Heather - is there a funeral or memorial service planned for Ros? Maybe you said and I missed it. Your dinner and celebration of life was a fitting thing. So glad you are now near the grands and can enjoy them more often. And glad your brother's kidney stone adventure worked out OK.

Beth - glad you are doing well with the endodontist experience. I'm afraid when I have my checkup in a couple weeks they are going to refer me for a root canal. I do dread it.

I am now ending week#2 of low sugar/intermittent fasting (going 12 or more hours between meals) and a kind of 5:2 - on my Fast days, I cut back to 1/3 to 1/2 of what I'm eating on the other days. Also doing morning stretches and following 10 minute Tai Chi videos on YouTube - there are lots of easy ones.

What made me decide to finally do this was my blood pressure started climbing, balance seemed to be getting worse, fat pants getting tight. All of that sugar and salt binging I've been letting myself get into since last October HAD to stop. Just had to.

So, after 2 weeks, blood pressure is back down in the good/normal range, balance getting better, fat pants getting loose. Scale says about 4 lbs down. Maybe three more to go - I don't mind being at the higher end of the normal BMI range. I am learning to eat when hungry again.

OK time to get moving. Going to be cool today and I have a few more flowers to plant and onion sets to get into the dirt. Now or never, lol.

Have a great day!

Lanette
    SW WA State

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,431 Member
    trucker743 wrote: »
    Heather, I’m so glad you had your time with Ros while she was still able to be conversant and able to appreciate the love you held for each other.

Pip, i know what a “plank holder” is in the Navy. I presume it means something similar with an Amazon Building? Your pictures of your dogs, past and present, show me just how much you enjoy their company! What merry, well-groomed dogs! I meant to ask if you ever ride out around Issaquah. There are so many great trails out here, as well as the paths along Lake Sammamish. I see troops of bikes, and individuals all the time.

Linda in Far North Ontario, hope you get used to the insulin protocol quickly and remain stable. Glad you’re feeling so much better.

I’ll post more later. I’m late going home from a quick dinner out.

Sharon Near Seattle

No, I never get out that way
  • lcharpentier2
    lcharpentier2 Posts: 331 Member
    Trucker and Michele I should of went on insulin years ago when they wanted me to. Feel so much better. Having a great day today. I have close to 3,000 steps on fit bit and that's before dinner. And now to make me a big salad.
    Went to Legion this morning and cooked 1/2 case of bacon and a case of sausage for Sundays breakfast. Going to go get the rest of the bacon and my homefries done this afternoon. Trying to keep out of my kitchen
    Linda in northern Ontario
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Lannette I love my Keen walking boots, they are terrific and my orthotics fit beautifully.

NYKAREN