One piece tried suit - comfort?

NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
I have a friend who loves running, and does triathlons. We don't ride together (she hates cycling, basically only does it in races) but talk a bunch about athletic life. She was telling me that single piece tri suits are exquisitely comfortable, except while you're peeing. And faster than what I'm wearing.

Any thoughts on comfort?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i've worn both during races - i wore a one piece for my first ironman and a 2 pice for my second - personally, i find them relatively interchangable - 2 piece is easier for peeing, but a 1 piece you don't deal with having to pull down the kit that has crept up

will likely do a 2 piece for my ironman this year because that is what was the kit design for the team i'm repping
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    If it’s a wetsuit swim and a half-iron race then I’ll go 2-piece in case I need to stop to pee (I’m too chicken to do it whilst cycling) but if it’s non-wetsuit then I prefer 1piece as my top from the 2-piece set gathers in the water a bit.
    I have to say I’ve never yet actually needed to stop for a pee mid-race but hey, piece of mind huh!

Comfort of a 1-piece just like a 2-piece comes down to the padding I find. Too little and you’ll be hurting on the bike, too big and you’ll be waddling on the run. One tri-suit I had basically had no pad at all which just wouldn’t really work for me long distance but of course was great for short distance or aquathons.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I have no first hand experience with this, but I could see them being more comfortable in the same way that I consider bibshorts to be more comfortable. I suspect they're also more aero than what you're wearing now because there's likely less fabric. Now a skin suit, on the other hand, would probably definitely be faster than a tri suit.
  • NorthCascades
    I don't do triathlons, I'm only considering one for on the bike. People look at me like I have three heads when I say this, but I can be comfortable for hours without padding.

I've been riding in a lower position, and my shirt or jersey had started riding up. I don't like it, and a one piece seems like it would solve the problem.
  • sarabushby
    Oh. In that case you should look at Bib shorts or tights if you don’t already use them and for speed, it’s not a tri suit you need but like @aokoye says, a speed suit. There’s a difference in product as well as price tag! People mainly just use speed suits for racing though. Do you race or you’re looking at just general long distance training rides?
    You’ll want to consider if you need pockets depending on the above and whether you want sleeves for aerodynamics/warmth/sun protection too.
  • NorthCascades
    Thanks, you've all given me some honestly to think about. I'm not racing, I just enjoy going fast; some of the best workouts I get on the bike have been times when I felt good, and seemed to be going fast, which I take as feedback that I'm doing good and should keep it up.

I've always had an aversion to bibs, but for a pretty dumb reason. I had a roommate when I was younger who loved WWF wrestling, and every time I look at a pair it brings memories back!
  • sarabushby
    Lol. That’s pretty funny. Bibs have never appealed to me - to much faff when you need the loo - but I got club kit this season and bibs were the only bottoms available, oh my goodness I wouldn’t look back. They’re lovely.
    There’s lots of different shapes bad styles of bibs these days, check out Rapha ( then buy only when on sale or eBay or Sports Pursuit A’s otherwise you need a second mortgage) and Assos for some higher end comfort and different styles of ‘bib’
  • aokoye
    Seriously, try bibs. Just do it. You will thank us :wink:
  • NorthCascades
    Ok, I'll give them a try. Thanks for the push, sometimes I need it. :smile:
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I agree. It's like bibs vs shorts on the bike.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    If you like a good chamois , be aware that tri suits and bibs have a thinner chamois than cycling gear, so they absorb less water during the swim and are less bulky for the run. Aren’t there one piece suits and bibs made specific for cycling?
  • jjpptt2
    edited May 2019
    lorrpb wrote: »
    If you like a good chamois , be aware that tri suits and bibs have a thinner chamois than cycling gear, so they absorb less water during the swim and are less bulky for the run. Aren’t there one piece suits and bibs made specific for cycling?

That's a good point.

OP - if you are accustomed to riding sans-chamois, a tri suit (or tri bibs) might be a good first step for you.
  • NorthCascades
    @jjpptt2 that's a great point.

A local shop has a pair of Pearl Izumi bibs on sale in my size, I was planning to go check them out, and then I lost my debit card. Shop didn't take checks, so it'll be a couple days.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    I think cycling bibs are the way to go. I rarely wear shorts anymore.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    After seeing my imitation of a plumber at a race last year ( I hate race photographers, they always capture the worst moments!) I'm considering either bib shorts with a triathlon weigh chamois or a one piece tri suit.
  • NorthCascades
    Pearl Izumi, where do they rank? Is it worth going to a shop if all of their stuff is PI?
  • jjpptt2
    Their entry level stuff is pretty average. Their good stuff is pretty good. Keep in mind, you're coming for a baseline of zero...
  • NorthCascades
    Haven't been able to find one locally, or even bibs without padding. :disappointed:

Rapha says they do free repairs, I wonder if I can cut the padding out a then have them repaired without it.

There's a no name speed suit on Amazon that says it can be made without padding, but it's vague *kitten* how to get one.

I didn't realize this would be so difficult. I assumed the ones people run and swim in would be normal.
  • aokoye
    Haven't been able to find one locally, or even bibs without padding. :disappointed:

Rapha says they do free repairs, I wonder if I can cut the padding out a then have them repaired without it.

There's a no name speed suit on Amazon that says it can be made without padding, but it's vague *kitten* how to get one.

I didn't realize this would be so difficult. I assumed the ones people run and swim in would be normal.

Is there a reason why you don't want the chamois? I mean I know you can ride without it, but do you actively prefer not to have shorts without one? If so then I would just cut it out of any existing bibshort - though I wouldn't count on Rapha repairing any damage in that case if you ended up getting a Rapha bib.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I’ve been very happy with all my PI cycling clothes, but I would not pay full price for them. Check out REI, Sierra Trading Post, and the PI website for sales.