Slim Fast

2»

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »

nocgirl72 wrote: »
    There is absolutely nothing appealing about slim fast when you can buy a cheaper, healthier meal replacement protein shake that will do the same thing even better.

All you need to lose weight is to consume less calories and try to eat lean healthier choices.

Btw my ex father in law’s ex wife was in a print ad for slim fast after losing 30 lbs on it. She has gained it all back. I’ve lost more than 20 lbs just by eating clean, cutting calories and excercising.

First I will say that I don't use slimfast nor any meal replacement not even a protein shake...they just don't fill me up. I have tried a few different brands and none of them worked for me.

Will some people regain weight after using meal replacements...yes but so will many people that use calorie counting. Every day on this site you will see..."I am back", "Trying again" etc etc.

Calorie counting does not work for everyone...nor do points, portion control etc etc. No one diet plan will work for the masses.

People who regain after using meal replacements do so because they learned nothing about proper portions, calories or maintenance.

People who regain after calorie counting do so because they got complacent, lazy or life happened.

People who regain after fad diets do so for the same reason as people who use meal replacements.

Bottom line it's not that these methods don't work, it's that people don't transition to long-term maintenance or stop their maintenance to stay where they got to.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I'm on week 2, day 1. I buy the SlimFast Advanced Nutrition Powder, which is like $10 on Amazon. I don't think that is very expensive for 6 days worth of breakfasts and lunches. So, I don't really get the "it's expensive" argument. I would spend way more than that on groceries at the store unless I was eating oatmeal for breakfast and ramen for lunch every day. Secondly, I have not been hungry on the diet. I know lots of people do go hungry on SlimFast, but this has been my experience. I follow the 100 calorie snack guidelines and eat a sensible dinner under 500 calories. On Sunday, (since the powder mix only has 6 days worth in the container) I do not do slimfast, but I stay under 1,200 calories. I call it my "practice day" since I will transition back to eating meals for breakfast and lunch after 4 months.

PROS: A lot less meal planning, shopping, and prepping, and WAY less cleanup. I just have to wash my shaker bottle. I don't have as many dishes to deal with. Advanced Nutrition does not have a lot of sugar, and there is a energy version which has the caffeine equivalent of a cup of coffee. It travels well. I plan on bringing the bars with me next week when I go on an airplane. I can spend my time thinking about and doing things besides planning what I am going to eat. I REALLY look forward to dinner, even though it is only 500 calories. You can have anything you want as long as you stay under the calorie allotment. That includes pizza, mac n' cheese, whatever. Just have a normal portion and make a nice salad on the side to fill you up, along with some water or herbal tea. I say again, I have not been hungry. Some days I didn't even want the last 100 calorie snack and had some herbal tea instead.

CONS: None for me, so far!

Hopefully you will continue to be successful. When I tried it in the past I usually made it to 5 or 6 weeks before I started going a little nuts. It was never the hunger. It was always the monotony and wanting food to chew. I only mention this so you can keep an eye on yourself. When hunger is being controlled losing weight becomes more about mental management which is something that took me way too long to learn.
  • Cinder333
    Cinder333 Posts: 39 Member
    I am using Slimfast with my calorie counting. I want to lose about 15 pounds, and I wasn't having much luck with just calorie counting as I kept going over. Slimfast so far has made it easy and I don't have to think much about it. I am also making a plan for when I am at or close to my goal. I am making lists of healthy breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack ideas for maintenance. I also have some equal calorie foods that I can sub for my Slimfast shakes and snack if I need a break from the Slimfast. I am also increasing my exercise by walking and bike riding.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    moonwaif65 wrote: »
    Trying slim fast for a bit. Anyone had success with it?

Zero success. Any diet that is not sustainable hasn't worked for me. At some point, you'll want to eat actual food.
  • cloob9
    cloob9 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm doing slimfast and calorie counting to lose weight and it's working so well. For the first 2 days I was so hungry because I wasnt used to eating/drinking 6 times in small portions but once I got used to it I have found it easy and have even found the 3rd snack I dont have anymore. It's especially easy as I have a busy job so often dont have time for breakfast or lunch so a shake is so easy. The powders are really cheap and I also have a stash of the ready to drink ones incase I'm running late and dont have time.

I do however give myself 1 day a week to eat drink whatever I want as a cheat day. Mostly because I love pizza and I love a pint and neither are remotely good for you in a diet but without the small pleasures in life what is the point!