Hunger Question

2»

Replies

• liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Macros matter incredibly. The % of what you put in your body will have a large degree of say over the result. You can't have muscle build without protein. You have energy without carbs. You need healthy fats to make it all work. There are things you can tinker with. But protein, carbs, fats need the right mix for an individual, and should be measured. That's why I live this app!!!!! Go myfitnesspal (:

That is what works for you and that's great. If I eat lower carb and higher fat, I end up with precancer on my esophagus that takes over two years to heal, major depression, high cholesterol, insomnia, and a host of other health issues. The point is that there is a wide variety of macros that work for a wide variety of people. Everybody needs to figure out what works for them.

I said what I said originally because one of the earlier posters said that carbs make you hungry. That's not true for everyone. My body prefers carbs to fat.

So, I agree with you that macros matter and I was wrong to word it otherwise.

What I meant and should have said was that macros are individual.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Macros matter incredibly. The % of what you put in your body will have a large degree of say over the result. You can't have muscle build without protein. You have energy without carbs. You need healthy fats to make it all work. There are things you can tinker with. But protein, carbs, fats need the right mix for an individual, and should be measured. That's why I live this app!!!!! Go myfitnesspal (:

Yes, to a point macros matter in the context on your goals. If you JUST want to lose weight, calories are all that matter. For body composition aspects, yes! At least in most meta's and research i have read.
  • David7881
    David7881 Posts: 34 Member
    Hey, you look pretty lean to me. From my point of view based on my experience is, my greatest enemy is patience. I'll say it again...patience. Understand that what we're really doing is "body transformation". The body is very complex and needs time to adjust to the changes we are forcing on it. What you're doing is great. Increase your calorie intake to 1900. Just make sure its the right food and that at least 150 of it is protein. You may plateau for 2 or 3 weeks. Hell, maybe even a month. But all a sudden you'll drop from say 190 to 189, then 187. Its just a matter of science. It will happen. The worst thing you can do, is give up on something that WILL work, without giving it its proper respect. Imagine this: staying at the same weight, but adding a quarter inch to your arms, while losing a half inch on your waist. That Is where you're headed. Stay with the 1900, and have patience.
    One thing I have done is decreased my rest between sets. I rested 2 minutes between heavy sets. Now I rest only 1 minute between sets, all exercises. This is adding a cardio affect, as well as forcing a major change on my body. Its adding size, but I've lost weight.

Thank you. I'm trying to push through it and see how 1900 calories makes a change in my body. Just think its odd my appetite went up. So far im on 2 weeks and after your comment I may extend it so I can give my body time to adjust or like you said transform. I try and keep it 30 second rest for isolated muscle exercise and 1 min for things like squats and dead lifts.

Thanks for the information all... This is what i love about this community. If i dont know something I can get a few different opinions and I can research from there.
  • earlandrew48
    earlandrew48 Posts: 18 Member
    Thanks liz0269 and phycod787. Yes you're absolutely right. At the end of the day I would take calories over everything else in the "matter" department. There are different roads to travel. You need to determine yours as an individual. For sure.
    Liz, I don't know you, but I've helped my father get through cancer. I'm proud that you were able to overcome your challenges, and sound like its now going right. You are strong. They wear pink for you. I have battled depression. If it wasn't for the gym, I wouldn't be here. That was where I was happiest. #keepgoing
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2019
    psychod787 wrote: »

Yes, to a point macros matter in the context on your goals. If you JUST want to lose weight, calories are all that matter. For body composition aspects, yes! At least in most meta's and research i have read.

I agree re protein, but will qualify. For optimal muscle building having protein above a certain gram number (depending on lean body mass) is important. For health or any muscle building/protecting muscle, the same is true, but the numbers will be lower (for health most are easily going to be above, for protecting muscle or gaining some, I think the number is higher).

Re:

I disagree that it's important (for everyone, or even most) to measure macros beyond perhaps making sure you get a certain level of protein if your goals require higher levels than just health (or if you are someone who has a very low protein diet for some reason). Macros as in carbs vs. fat or specific macro percentages likely only matter depending on individual preferences (or for people quite serious about sports that require anaerobic levels of effort or other specific training considerations). (Yes, it's true fats can be too low, but that would be very uncommon unless someone were specifically restricting them, even without counting macros.)

For satiety, I think there's no evidence that any specific macros work for all or are better for all (and I know you didn't claiming that, but this all started since a poster upthread did). Also, for many people (maybe even most), I suspect that other things matter much more than specific macro ratios.

Adding to this, from what I've seen of the studies, there's no evidence that merely eating higher fat, lower carb (protein staying the same) ON AVERAGE leads to lower appetite/higher satiety. There is some evidence ON AVERAGE that increasing protein causes lower appetite/higher satiety. There is also some evidence that independent of changes to protein that changing the diet in other ways (higher fiber, more nutrient dense foods) also may ON AVERAGE lead to lower appetite/higher satiety. This is why I think it can both be true for an individual person that a higher protein diet increases satiety and that a lower protein WFPB diet (or some similar kind of diet) might. And for others, of course, neither could be true, or increasing fat or even lower fiber carbs could help in some cases. Or macros could be irrelevant to satiety compared with something else, like meal timing.
  • earlandrew48
    earlandrew48 Posts: 18 Member
    Thanks David. Yes, 2 weeks isn't nearly enough time to give it a chance. I guarantee, if you stay with the 1900 calories, with 150 of it being protein, you'll see results. You will get bigger, but leaner (if possible. You're pretty lean). I used to take the scales word over what I saw in the mirror. I learned to believe my own eyes over the scales. If you gain a pound of lean muscle over the next 2 months. That's a win. You'll see that in the mirror. Good luck
  • David7881
    Thanks David. Yes, 2 weeks isn't nearly enough time to give it a chance. I guarantee, if you stay with the 1900 calories, with 150 of it being protein, you'll see results. You will get bigger, but leaner (if possible. You're pretty lean). I used to take the scales word over what I saw in the mirror. I learned to believe my own eyes over the scales. If you gain a pound of lean muscle over the next 2 months. That's a win. You'll see that in the mirror. Good luck

Yea I've learned to not give the scale much mind and compare my process in pictures. My protein is up to 45% which is a lil over 1g per lb. Thanks again, appreciate it.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    David7881 wrote: »

Yea I've learned to not give the scale much mind and compare my process in pictures. My protein is up to 45% which is a lil over 1g per lb. Thanks again, appreciate it.

Holy *kitten* balls Batman! That's a high percent protein. I run 30% and people think I eat a lot!
  • David7881

Holy *kitten* balls Batman! That's a high percent protein. I run 30% and people think I eat a lot!

Haha yea it is pretty high. Havent seen any negative side effects to high protein besides getting tired of eating.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

OP also has a lower calorie goal, so 45% of a lower calorie goal looks a lot different than say 45% of 4K calories for example.