Keto

Maryjackmom
Maryjackmom Posts: 1 Member
Hello! Do I have to meet my fat goals? Hard to wrap my head around eating that much fat. Staying under carbs is attainable. Protein too. It’s just the fat that I struggle with.

Replies

• marky1965
    marky1965 Posts: 220 Member
    Fat is what you are using for fuel so you should get close to it. Eating fat doesn’t make you fat..... just chose the fats from the good list 😀
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,931 Member
    With keto you are substituting fat for carbs. If you don't eat enough fat you will not be eating enough food in general.

If you don't like this way of eating, why did you choose it?

Weight loss is about calories. Full stop.

Eating the foods you like in the portions that are appropriate is the way to lose weight. Unless you enjoy a high fat diet, there is no advantage to it. But you do need to eat enough to keep your body functioning properly - so if you're choosing keto, eat the fat.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    I have been lower carb recently, not keto, so maybe I shouldn't be responding, but I have been doing it with generous amounts of olive and avocado oil, olive oil mayo, avocados, and lots of nuts.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2019
    In theory it's (1) stay at or under the carb goal (net carbs); (2) hit the protein goal (or exceeding is fine, protein is not going to be an issue unless it's way high); and (3) eat fat to satiety/to meet your calories. But as others have said, if you are reluctant to eat the fat you will be underfueling on keto and it's not a good choice for you.

Fat adds up if you eat eggs, don't choose the lowest fat cuts of meat, include full fat greek yogurt/cottage cheese, eat cheese, cook vegetables in olive oil or coconut oil, eat avocados, eat nuts and seeds (or add them to a salad), use full fat dressings (or make a vinaigrette with the normal amount of olive oil).