Why am I not losing weight on the scales even though I'm overweight

I'm 5"7.5 (172cm) and weigh 164 pounds (74.6kg). According to my BMI I'm 2 pounds overweight. These past 3 weeks I haven't been losing any weight on the scales. People tell me that I've lost loads of weight. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week doing cardio and weights and plus I have an active job running around with kids. I watch what I eat and make sure I don't go over 1800 cals. My diet is so much healthier and for these past 6 weeks I haven't binged at all. My hip and waist measurements have gone down. My waist is around 29 inches and my hips are around 40.5 inches. Why am I not losing weight on the scales. I'm still a bit overweight and 74.6kg is a lot. I measured my body fat percentage at boots pharmacy but my body fat doesn't seem to have gone down. I don't know how accurate the body fat machines are.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    The body fat machines in boots are not accurate at all.

If you are only a couple of pounds overweight per BMI healthy range any weight loss is going to be extremely slow and will be easily masked by water retention and you do not have a lot to lose contrary to your belief.

If you have increased the intensity of your work outs you may just be retaining water as a result. Also review your logging accuracy - are you guessing portion sizes or weighing stuff? You may just be unintentionally re-comping if you're eating more than you think and closer to maintenance.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    if you are doing new/increased exercise your muscles may well be retaining water masking weight loss.

have you lost ANY weight or is the scale stable at 74.6 for three weeks.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Is it possible that your scale is broken?
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    You don't seem overweight to me? How much more are you trying to lose?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,525 Member
    Further to that if your weigh ins (and not just your body composition) are at the pharmacy that by itself introduces a bigger source of error than for most people who weigh at home
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    So you've been losing steadily since the beginning of the year but haven't lost in the last few weeks and you just need to lose 2 more pounds? I just want to make sure I completely understand the situation.

Those last pounds are a *kitten* to lose and your diet has to be completely on point and tightened up toward the end.

You have to make sure you are measuring and weighing on a food scale, not using measuring cups and spoons. No cheating by sneaking in bites from the kids' plates (I think we're all guilty of that :D )
  • fitnessqueen91
    fitnessqueen91 Posts: 166 Member
    whitpauly wrote: »
    You don't seem overweight to me? How much more are you trying to lose?

I want to lose another 15 pounds
  • fitnessqueen91
    Panini911 wrote: »
    if you are doing new/increased exercise your muscles may well be retaining water masking weight loss.

have you lost ANY weight or is the scale stable at 74.6 for three weeks.

It's been pretty much stable at 74.6
  • fitnessqueen91
    Is it possible that your scale is broken?

Nope as I have 2 scales and I changed the battery on one of them. Both scales give me pretty much the same reading bar a tiny difference. On one I'm 74.6 And the other 74.5 so not much of a difference. Both are digital. I weight in boots sometimes though later during the day so I weigh a bit more on them as I'm fully clothed and have eaten.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    You are very slightly above the "optimal" BMI range for your height. Your weight loss at this point is going to be very, very slow and require meticulous logging. Weigh ALL solid food. Make sure your exercise calories are not exaggerated. Even a few errors in logging will take you out of a deficit.

Adjust your expectations about the pace of weight loss. You should not be expecting to lose more than 0.25 kg/week, and you may lose more slowly than that. That loss will likely show up as a 1-2 kg decrease on the scale every 4-6 weeks, rather than a consistent loss each week.
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    edited May 2019
    When I started exercising, I lost two pounds and went from a size 14 to a 12. I got multiple compliments on my weight loss, too.
    You are losing inches so something is definitely happening. Give it some time.
    I am also 5'7" with a small frame. I look very overweight at 160 but fit at 140. I'm still a ways away from either one but I get what you are saying.