Is step tracking beneficial?

13»

Replies

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Tracking steps was really helpful for me in the early days of my new life, when I was still exceedingly sedentary. It gave me a challenge, and when I was feeling tired-and-lazy knowing that I hadn't reached my target and would lose my streak got me up and out (and I felt better for it).

Nowadays I'm a lot more active and don't really care. I reach over 13,000 steps most days just from my commute and a lunchtime walk. I still wear the step counter, but I only check it on occasion (for example, after hiking 18 miles I was kind of curious as to how many steps that worked out to!) and I don't care about my streak, because on days I don't walk much I'm either doing something else (helloooo, BodyPump class) or badly in need of the rest.
  • trbp72
    trbp72 Posts: 33 Member
    edited May 2019
    glassyo wrote: »
    trbp72 wrote: »
    I mean you walk generally somewhere every day...and just walking to the shop and back isn't necessarily doing you any good (it depends what you are going to the shop for...).

On a personal level, I tried it...it didn't work for me...so I haven't bothered to track how many steps I take for a year or so and I'm losing weight without it...so it's not an essential item for weight loss...

Are you sure about that? I mean, I don't count my steps but I still lost 120 lbs and all my exercise was walking. Just because you're walking doesn't mean you're not expending energy.

I'm not saying you don't expend energy...I wrote about walking generally every day...the point is if you're walking to the shop to buy snacks for later...it's not necessarily beneficial...I mean I could walk from my house to the local Fish and Chip shop every day...well not at the moment because it's recently had a fryer fire...but the point being I doubt that the mile walk would counteract the portion of Fish and Chips...

I reiterate...It's about what works for YOU...personally...and yes as other people have stated it's a good place to start...but I do know people that obsess about it and that isn't healthy! I have a friend that last year ran 5K every day for charity...again where he found the time for that I don't know...my life doesn't allow that...but he did it and got to the end of the year...and then he stopped running for about 4 months! Didn't even bother with the weekly Park Run...he did it...and then needed to not do it...

I've already said...if it helps you great! Keep it up...but for me like I said in my original post...it didn't float my boat...and I actually found the sleep analysis more useful for me as I am a somewhat light sleeper and seeing the visual representation of the periods of deep sleep was interesting. Good sleep is as important as walking for a healthy, happy body!

• thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    well now i want fish & chips.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    thanos5 wrote: »
    well now i want fish & chips.

Well just snap your fingers... lol
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    I have had a pedometer (Now a Fitbit) for years. It does help me be more active, but I don't obsess over getting my 10,000 steps. It is a goal, but if I don't..oh well..I usually have been doing something else that I wanted to do. I do know people, tho, that really obsess over their steps..and feel like they have failed if they don't make their goal. That is not healthy. I also find the sleep analysis interesting...I don't get enough deep sleep!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited May 2019
    I keep an eye on it, but don't really obsess about it. I find it really cool to see what i nail on my long-run days, but that's about it...

I worry more about total exercise calorie burn in a day (and yes, I know, most trackers aren't accurate -- but TDEE/weight loss tracking with my Watch shows it to be very accurate for me). I swim and spin and lift, none of which involve *steps*, but do compose a lot of my exercise -- so I may rarely hit 10,000 steps -- which is really a pulled-out-of-thin-air number to begin with, from a scientific perspective -- but I'm certainly not inactive. My regular walking mileage during the week is about 3 miles a day, so...
  • trbp72
    trbp72 Posts: 33 Member
    But if that's the argument surely walking 1 mile (there and back) would be better for someone than getting it delivered? No it's not going to counteract it, but it could be the difference between someone being over their TDEE for the day, or not.

Fish & Chips is typically around 1200 -1500 calories, my TDEE for an inactive day is around 2200-2400 calories, depending on how fidgety I am around the house. If I have a normal sized breakfast/lunch that's probably 800-900 calories so I'd be around Maintenance if I had the fish & chips without the walk. If I go for the walk I'm in a small deficit. So yes it would be beneficial and lead to weight loss instead of maintenance.

People can obsess about anything and everything, that doesn't make it a bad thing to do for the majority of people.

People do obsess about anything and everything...it depends on the level of obsession...and some of my friends and myself included over the years have taken things to unhealthy levels...so my concern is real...I have my own issues that are my cross to bear...years ago I became obsessed with building muscle before thinking about the consequences of transference from it being fat for example...I have since come to the decision that I need to hit a target weight before I put some back on in muscle form...and when I first got my step tracker, I did get pissed off in the early days that I wasn't anywhere near the 'Holy Grail'...but then I read a wider variety of literature and realised it's not just about stepping 1000's of steps per day that is necessarily important (for everyone)...but the whole picture that requires work...and it is the danger of getting caught up in the "exceeding the goal" game that causes me concern...for myself and others

I mean on another fitness app I dipped into...you are awarded 'achievement' medals for reaching so many steps, reps, miles, calories burned...it gets a bit silly...again for me that trivializes the process...but others may take it as motivation...it just depends where you're at in your development...and yes recently I'd taken a few dives into uncertainty myself...but decided to venture into this community to open up to the possibilities...and a few people who responded to my initial posts inspired me to be and do better...and here I was only offering my take on things...and I seem to have caused a ruckus with the pedometer users...I meant no harm!

Let's take a walk down the Chippy!

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    trbp72 wrote: »
    But if that's the argument surely walking 1 mile (there and back) would be better for someone than getting it delivered? No it's not going to counteract it, but it could be the difference between someone being over their TDEE for the day, or not.

Fish & Chips is typically around 1200 -1500 calories, my TDEE for an inactive day is around 2200-2400 calories, depending on how fidgety I am around the house. If I have a normal sized breakfast/lunch that's probably 800-900 calories so I'd be around Maintenance if I had the fish & chips without the walk. If I go for the walk I'm in a small deficit. So yes it would be beneficial and lead to weight loss instead of maintenance.

People can obsess about anything and everything, that doesn't make it a bad thing to do for the majority of people.

People do obsess about anything and everything...it depends on the level of obsession...and some of my friends and myself included over the years have taken things to unhealthy levels...so my concern is real...I have my own issues that are my cross to bear...years ago I became obsessed with building muscle before thinking about the consequences of transference from it being fat for example...I have since come to the decision that I need to hit a target weight before I put some back on in muscle form...and when I first got my step tracker, I did get pissed off in the early days that I wasn't anywhere near the 'Holy Grail'...but then I read a wider variety of literature and realised it's not just about stepping 1000's of steps per day that is necessarily important (for everyone)...but the whole picture that requires work...and it is the danger of getting caught up in the "exceeding the goal" game that causes me concern...for myself and others

I mean on another fitness app I dipped into...you are awarded 'achievement' medals for reaching so many steps, reps, miles, calories burned...it gets a bit silly...again for me that trivializes the process...but others may take it as motivation...it just depends where you're at in your development...and yes recently I'd taken a few dives into uncertainty myself...but decided to venture into this community to open up to the possibilities...and a few people who responded to my initial posts inspired me to be and do better...and here I was only offering my take on things...and I seem to have caused a ruckus with the pedometer users...I meant no harm!

Let's take a walk down the Chippy!

No ruckus caused at all, the joy of the interwebs is that it can be hard to articulate exactly what you mean and equally hard for others to discern your meaning without the benefit of body language, tone, etc.

The world is becoming more and more sedentary, kids spend more time in front of a computer/phone/tablet than they do outside. Adults get into routines of work/couch/sleep. So I'm for anything that will encourage people to be more active.

People who become unhealthily obsessed with step tracking would likey become obsessed with something else if it wasn't stepcounts. It's like Calorie Counting - fine and helpful for the majority but it can trigger eating disorders in a few. That's no fault of the tool and shouldn't render it dangerous to the majority.

Make mine a chip butty!