Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Mental health

FeelinFooFooFeelinFooFoo Posts: 2,691Member Member Posts: 2,691Member Member
We all have it and sadly there can still be some stigma around this. Which is a real shame and can have some devastating consequences for some people and their families. Let's all get talking about it and get rid of the shame/guilt/fear.

This week in the UK is mental health awareness week and as I work for a mental health charity I manned a stall in a factory today, full of men! Men are notorious for not talking about their feelings or seeking help but it was so amazing today as it was mainly men that came over and got chatting. So refreshing to see the tide changing and mental health being something that isn't swept under a carpet.

So, if you need help or know someone who does, talking and reaching out really does help. You are not alone and we all experience mental health.

Let's end the stigma !! 🙂 💗

Replies

• JustReadTheInstructionsJustReadTheInstructions Posts: 1,360Member Member Posts: 1,360Member Member
    We all have it and sadly there can still be some stigma around this. Which is a real shame and can have some devastating consequences for some people and their families. Let's all get talking about it and get rid of the shame/guilt/fear.

This week in the UK is mental health awareness week and as I work for a mental health charity I manned a stall in a factory today, full of men! Men are notorious for not talking about their feelings or seeking help but it was so amazing today as it was mainly men that came over and got chatting. So refreshing to see the tide changing and mental health being something that isn't swept under a carpet.

So, if you need help or know someone who does, talking and reaching out really does help. You are not alone and we all experience mental health.

I :heart: you
  • Reckoner67Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344Member Member Posts: 3,344Member Member

• newmeadownewmeadow Posts: 1,328Member Member Posts: 1,328Member Member
    As long as psychologically atypical aren't posing a danger to the people they come in contact with, I'm fine with it.

But if they threaten others with violence, act out violently toward others or otherwise make the people they come in contact with miserable as a result of their behavior, I'm not okay with it.
  • FeelinFooFooFeelinFooFoo Posts: 2,691Member Member Posts: 2,691Member Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    As long as psychologically atypical aren't posing a danger to the people they come in contact with, I'm fine with it.

But if they threaten others with violence, act out violently toward others or otherwise make the people they come in contact with miserable as a result of their behavior, I'm not okay with it.

I think if someone has paranoid delusions they might act out violently but because they are scared. Their delusions are frightening. Most violent crimes are not committed by people with mental health issues. They are more likely to harm themselves or to be harmed.

There is no excuse for violence. It is never right. Mental health cannot be used as an excuse to get away with it. I do think that some people may lash out if they are under severe stress and strain but that would be under extreme circumstances. I think so anyway.
    my mental health suffers due to my increasing deteriorating health and my inability to work at the job i loved or even volunteer for that matter. my immunity is so weak that the more people i come into contact, the higher probability of getting dangerously ill increases. today is especially bad... i don't know how much more i can handle

I am going to PM you. I think how mfp works, you can't send a message unless your friends....dunno why so I might add you if that's ok. 🙂
  • bannock_and_bicepsbannock_and_biceps Posts: 82Member Member Posts: 82Member Member
    @FeelinFooFoo - thank you for your kindness. i am not accepting any new friendships as i`m close to deleting my profile *yet again* i have stage four cancer and severe cold urticaria *not a great thing here in canada* and am quite sick right now. i have a family so i have no other alternative but to carry on.

@Cowsfan1 - thank you so much.
    @FeelinFooFoo - thank you for your kindness. i am not accepting any new friendships as i`m close to deleting my profile *yet again* i have stage four cancer and severe cold urticaria *not a great thing here in canada* and am quite sick right now. i have a family so i have no other alternative but to carry on.

@Cowsfan1 - thank you so much.

I can't imagine what your going through but you will be in my thoughts and prayers. ❤ I do hope that you get some relief and some peace.
  • Vikka_VVikka_V Posts: 7,724Member Member Posts: 7,724Member Member
    I was talking with the father of someone I knew who passed away suddenly due to mental health issues today about how "we" as a culture or just normal human whatever don't tell people how much we like, admire, appreciate, enjoy them. It's just not what we do, usually.

Then after they die, people all talk about the deceased and appreciate them (it's kinda like "behind their backs" I was thinking).

I wonder if it would have made a difference in their life to have said "I like you for *whatever*"?

I feel bad that I didn't notice or recognize their struggle, and severity of it.
  • Cowsfan1Cowsfan1 Posts: 5,369Member Member Posts: 5,369Member Member
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    I was talking with the father of someone I knew who passed away suddenly due to mental health issues today about how "we" as a culture or just normal human whatever don't tell people how much we like, admire, appreciate, enjoy them. It's just not what we do, usually.

Then after they die, people all talk about the deceased and appreciate them (it's kinda like "behind their backs" I was thinking).

I wonder if it would have made a difference in their life to have said "I like you for *whatever*"?

I feel bad that I didn't notice or recognize their struggle, and severity of it.

Dallas Green said it best "it’s like a man’s best party only happens when he dies” .. it is a shame
  • isalsayourface123isalsayourface123 Posts: 500Member Member Posts: 500Member Member
    OMG I was hoping this thread would be somewhere. My mental health has deteriorated since weightloss. Very low self worth and self esteem. Seeking the approving of others and feel like I've lost not only wirght but control of my mind. Hope everyone is doing well in their journeys.

This struck a cord with me...because we should be kind and receptive to others always...I know grown adults who can pick and look down on others...you should always ...no matter if you know their mental health status...always...just be kind.
    Cowsfan1 wrote: »

Dallas Green said it best "it’s like a man’s best party only happens when he dies” .. it is a shame

Love Dallas Green's songs, Alexis on Fire and City and Colour...don't know that quote from what song...but so true
    And for me brought to attention twice so far in 2019

which song are you referencing? Just curious...want to listen to it...and notice
    edited May 18
  • Cowsfan1Cowsfan1 Posts: 5,369Member Member Posts: 5,369Member Member

Love Dallas Green's songs, Alexis on Fire and City and Colour...don't know that quote from what song...but so true

which song are you referencing? Just curious...want to listen to it...and notice

One of my favourites ( see what I did there )
    Body in a box

One of my favourites ( see what I did there )
    Body in a box

You added that extra, redundant "u" that some (basically all) non 'Merican countries add? And it makes a lot of words look more awkward?

Nicely played!

And thanks for the link! Will listen