Less Alcohol - June 2019 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    @forestdweller1 my thoughts go out to you. Your a strong one 💜
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,551 Member
    I am going to set my June goals for 4-5 AF days per week. I tried 5 AF days per week in May, but didn't quite get there.
    May was 18 AF days for me, would have been more, but the warm weather and sweating it out in the garden led to some rum punches, as did being away. It might be challenging during the summer months, but I am going to try to have some discipline.

June 01 - AF - going out of town in the morning, kind of expect to have a few drinks Sunday.
    June 02 - 1/2 bottle of red wine
    June 03 - 3 drinks - 2 days in a row, such a no-no. Definitely don't want to drift back into daily drinks, I will have to get a handle on it.
    June 04 - AF - It was a bit of a struggle to do AF after 2 days in a row of drinks.
    June 05 - AF - sort of reluctantly, but I know that the scale won't move unless I do AF days.
    June 06 - 3 drinks. I really need to get back on track, my weight is starting to creep up. So glad to have this forum, it really does help with accountability. I have a show at a bar that I have tickets to on Saturday night, but I am going to try to save money and calories and not order any alcohol. I have to be AF today (the 7th) so I can at least make it to 4AF days for the week.
    June 07 - AF - Just squeaked out 4AF days for the week. Yesterday I had a tooth extraction and was told no alcohol, but had 3 drinks!
    June 08 - 3 drinks - I need to rack up some more AF days.
    June 09 - AF
    June 10 - AF
    June 11 - 3 drinks - Game 7 of the NHL playoffs tonight, but can't have drinks 2 days in a row so will resist.
    June 12 - AF - Yahoo St. Louis Blues after waiting 52 years : - )
    June 13 - 3 drinks and the NBA championship came to Canada for the first time : - )
    June 14 - AF - If I didn't need this day to get to 4AF for the week...well, doesn't matter, glad that I have given myself the challenge. Big weekend ahead in my town. We usually have Bailey's and coffee and watch the parade from my porch. Might or might not. Hit my 4 AF for the second week - just.
    June 15 - 3 drinks - I was pouring the Bailey's and coffee in the morning, but had coffee cream in mine instead. Small victory, the first year that I didn't have it on the morning of the parade. I did have a few drinks later though. Looks like I am almost having drinks every second day this month. Need to rack up more AF days for sure.
    June 16 - AF
    June 17 - AF
    June 18 - AF
    June 19 - 3 drinks
    June 20 - 3 drinks, broke the 2 days in a row rule again.
    June 21 - 3 drinks
    June 22 - 3 drinks - Apparently my willpower went out the window! I will get back on track. That 2 days in a row thing sets me up. Definitely need to avoid that.
    June 23 - AF
    June 24 - AF
    June 25 - AF
    June 26 - AF

Running tally - 15 AF days out of 26 days so far. Striving for minimum 16 AF days in the month, so 1 or more need to be accomplished for sure.
  • MissMay
    Hey everyone the JULY 2019 thread is up on the community board under challenges. Let's wrap up June and head over to take on July ONE DAY AT A TIME.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10751694/less-alcohol-july-2019-one-day-at-a-time#latest
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    AbandondedKSCharger Posts: 562 Member
    @forestdweller1 Great message! I am going to try NA beer this weekend. It's been a long time since I've tried it. Last time I did I liked the Bush NA. My friend likes the Coors.

Had dinner with my friend last night. I had two glasses of wine. She was very proud of me when I told her that was the first wine I'd had in at least 2 weeks. It really has gotten much easier to not drink it/want it/ crave it. That will come in time also with the beer.
    It was hard not going to buy whiskey to drink a couple shots in honor of David. That was an automatic when getting together with him. I did refrain though and it is best.

I have one beer left in the fridge. That is all I need for tonight. Kids are gone and our household is back to normal. Time to get back on track and get focused again.
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    @DCRunnerGirl78 Sounds like your at a perfect time to make some great changes. Less alcohol will also help to make that new job transition go smoother. Sounds like a good plan through the 4th.
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    Good Morning,
    Well as you can see I abandoned the daily sheet....but I can go back to review my previous posts to get accountability. That does help.

I am feeling a bit of a struggle right now. I was so motivated before about doing the actual AF days, and more... however, since this past week I am not feeling it anymore. Actually this morning as I was waking up …. like most mornings after drinking I do the evaluation....but I had the thought this morning that I am missing/craving/wanting the black-out drunk feeling......I want to be the stay at home, lay in the sun enjoy my beer and just not be responsible for anything.
    Well by just typing that I can hear how stupid that sounds. I do want better for my life. I think I just found my motivation again.
    I can handle this margarita/pampered chef party tonight (yes your all invited ;) with low cal, virgin margaritas for me and this weekend make smart smart choices.

Have a great day ya'all.
  • MissMay
    @everydaywechoose welcome to our thread.
    I am sure what you need is right here. We have all been there in one way or another. It is your pace and your rules for yourself. We are here for your support and to give any advice and even hugs when necessary.
    Biggest part is over...YOU COMMITTED to drink LESS. *first hug*
  • MissMay
    Good Morning,
    Well as you can see I abandoned the daily sheet....but I can go back to review my previous posts to get accountability. That does help.

I am feeling a bit of a struggle right now. I was so motivated before about doing the actual AF days, and more... however, since this past week I am not feeling it anymore. Actually this morning as I was waking up …. like most mornings after drinking I do the evaluation....but I had the thought this morning that I am missing/craving/wanting the black-out drunk feeling......I want to be the stay at home, lay in the sun enjoy my beer and just not be responsible for anything.
    Well by just typing that I can hear how stupid that sounds. I do want better for my life. I think I just found my motivation again.
    I can handle this margarita/pampered chef party tonight (yes your all invited ;) with low cal, virgin margaritas for me and this weekend make smart smart choices.

Have a great day ya'all.

The pampered chef party is tonight?? AWESOME. You will be fine YOU GOT THIS!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    I am going to set my June goals for 4-5 AF days per week. I tried 5 AF days per week in May, but didn't quite get there.
    May was 18 AF days for me, would have been more, but the warm weather and sweating it out in the garden led to some rum punches, as did being away. It might be challenging during the summer months, but I am going to try to have some discipline.

June 01 - AF - going out of town in the morning, kind of expect to have a few drinks Sunday.
    June 03 - 3 drinks - 2 days in a row, such a no-no. Definitely don't want to drift back into daily drinks, I will have to get a handle on it.
    June 04 - AF - It was a bit of a struggle to do AF after 2 days in a row of drinks.
    June 05 - AF - sort of reluctantly, but I know that the scale won't move unless I do AF days.
    June 06 - 3 drinks. I really need to get back on track, my weight is starting to creep up. So glad to have this forum, it really does help with accountability. I have a show at a bar that I have tickets to on Saturday night, but I am going to try to save money and calories and not order any alcohol. I have to be AF today (the 7th) so I can at least make it to 4AF days for the week.
    June 07 - AF - Just squeaked out 4AF days for the week. Yesterday I had a tooth extraction and was told no alcohol, but had 3 drinks!
    June 09 - AF
    June 10 - AF
    June 11 - 3 drinks - Game 7 of the NHL playoffs tonight, but can't have drinks 2 days in a row so will resist.
    June 13 - 3 drinks and the NBA championship came to Canada for the first time : - )
    June 14 - AF - If I didn't need this day to get to 4AF for the week...well, doesn't matter, glad that I have given myself the challenge. Big weekend ahead in my town. We usually have Bailey's and coffee and watch the parade from my porch. Might or might not. Hit my 4 AF for the second week - just.
    June 15 - 3 drinks - I was pouring the Bailey's and coffee in the morning, but had coffee cream in mine instead. Small victory, the first year that I didn't have it on the morning of the parade. I did have a few drinks later though. Looks like I am almost having drinks every second day this month. Need to rack up more AF days for sure.
    June 16 - AF
    June 17 - AF
    June 18 - AF
    June 19 - 3 drinks
    June 21 - 3 drinks
    June 22 - 3 drinks - Apparently my willpower went out the window! I will get back on track. That 2 days in a row thing sets me up. Definitely need to avoid that.
    June 23 - AF
    June 24 - AF
    June 25 - AF
    June 26 - AF
    June 27 - 3 drinks - and a cheat day food-wise also
    June 28 - AF

Running tally - 16 AF days out of 28 days so far.
  • MissMay
    Nice job @dawnbgethealthy hitting your 16 AF days for June! 👍👍👍
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Hi all. Checking in at end of June though I have been reading along all month. I had a crazy month with two work trips including one to India, I just got home last night after 40 hours of traveling! Work trips always involve drinking days, I mean, they don’t have to but they typically do for me. Kept it in control on all of them, that used to be one of my big motivators for change, that I would wake up and rack my brain thinking “omg what did I do, what did I say, did I say something to someone I shouldn’t, etc.”. None of those nights have happened in quite a long time since I started really participating in these threads here, so I don’t feel so bad about the week day indulgence on work trips.

Funnily enough one night this week a colleague and I stayed up at the hotel bar for “just one more” which we always say and then laugh that it’s never just one... only this time for me it was. And while I was buzzed I was more tired than anything so I finished my wine quickly and went to my room, packed, and woke up next day ready to go. When I saw my colleague at breakfast he said “I’m not feeling well” and I said “oh no stomach? Head? Do you need anything?” And he said “well a little of both but I must confess I mostly don’t feel well because I woke up with anxiety over how much I drank and what did I say and I think I shared too much and, well, I don’t know if you’ve ever felt that but can you just please forget anything I said last night”. I laughed and told him of course I’ve felt that, many times, and not to worry because I honestly can’t remember anything he said that was sensitive which means either I drank more than I realized and forgot.... or I’m just an over sharer and nothing he said I would consider sensitive. Probably a little of both as I have a reputation of being a little too direct with my feelings and this guy is a staunch German. Anyway just thought it was funny.

I didn’t have any specific goals this month but I wasn’t as good about racking up AF days as usual, I’m not sure I even made it to double digits with those work trips thrown in and the summer months are really hard to abstain. July likely won’t be much higher on the AF count but honestly (hope this doesn’t sound like I’m making excuses) I’m ok with it. My issue was daily drinking and in particular drinking to the point of loss of control and feelings of regret like my colleague described. I have had maybe 1 of those nights in the last 6 months (since we are halfway through 2019 people!) compared to having them weekly in 2017 and prior. So if I finish with 2-3 AF days each week, and have no “oh crap what did I do” mornings, I feel like my plan of mindful moderation is still a success.

See you on the July thread!
  • MissMay
    @everydaywechoose this is such a spot on realization you made, " ....now I realize this is my journey and my challenge, not anyone else's." Or as we call it that aha moment. It is true, you can not hide and live inside a box. You also need quality of life. I am sure you will find your happy balance.
  • MissMay
    Hello there @WinoGelato. Reading your posts after this past year or more makes me feel I have traveled the globe with you. Lol . Awesome to hear your doing well and still have the upper hand in all this. Your poor friend though....yikes....been there done that, don't like the repercussions the next day or so. Maybe you had a wee bit of encouraging words he could be thinking about? See you on July thread.😄
  • dawnbgethealthy

June 09 - AF
    June 10 - AF
    June 16 - AF
    June 17 - AF
    June 18 - AF
    June 19 - 3 drinks
    June 21 - 3 drinks
    June 23 - AF
    June 24 - AF
    June 25 - AF
    June 26 - AF
    June 27 - 3 drinks - and a cheat day food-wise also
    June 28 - AF
    June 27 - 3 drinks

Running tally - 16 AF days out of 29 days so far.