Intermittent fasting

1235»

Replies

• LegendaryOrange
    LegendaryOrange Posts: 2,864 Member
    mmapags, that's my point.
  • LegendaryOrange
    And I'm not trying to play God with gluconeogenesis. I just know that I've experienced known side effects of gluconeogenesis after a protein-heavy breakfast when doing intense cardio later. I've tried fasted cardio to see if it results in the same side effects and I've had mixed results. Overall I'm just not sold on fasted cardio and I feel better off doing cardio after my typical breakfast. As we all know the calories burned matter above all else. Fasted cardio just hasn't been for me.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    And I'm not trying to play God with gluconeogenesis. I just know that I've experienced known side effects of gluconeogenesis after a protein-heavy breakfast when doing intense cardio later. I've tried fasted cardio to see if it results in the same side effects and I've had mixed results. Overall I'm just not sold on fasted cardio and I feel better off doing cardio after my typical breakfast. As we all know the calories burned matter above all else. Fasted cardio just hasn't been for me.

What side effects are there to GNG?

Also, what kind of diet do you follow? Are you high carb, low carb, or in the middle?

And to point out, unless you are eating carbrs literally all day, you are not in a "anabolic state" all day long. Many carbs will metabolize, especially when consumed in small amounts, withing an hour. If anything, evenly spreading protein would be more ideal due to mTOR activation. But even so, in a deficit, it won't be significantly different and your lifting protein would have much greater impacts on muscle building.
  • LegendaryOrange
    psuLemon wrote: »

What side effects are there to GNG?

Also, what kind of diet do you follow? Are you high carb, low carb, or in the middle?

And to point out, unless you are eating carbrs literally all day, you are not in a "anabolic state" all day long. Many carbs will metabolize, especially when consumed in small amounts, withing an hour. If anything, evenly spreading protein would be more ideal due to mTOR activation. But even so, in a deficit, it won't be significantly different and your lifting protein would have much greater impacts on muscle building.

An ammonia smell to my sweat is a dead giveaway that I've strayed off into gluconeogenesis and am no longer burning immediately available glycogen. This begins about 30 minutes into my cardio, after muscle and liver glycogen stores have been depleted, and particularly if I have not fasted.

When I am trying to lose weight I am strict low carb, low fat, high protein. When I reach my goal I bring up (healthy) fat but still tend to keep carbs relatively low (though I do work them in more frequently).
  • LegendaryOrange
    I've lost 50 pounds eating 6 times a day, sooo....
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

Same here, 8 years ago and kept it off. I did that with high carb, moderate protein and fat.
  • LegendaryOrange
    NovusDies wrote: »

You have lost 50 pounds because of a calorie deficit everything else has been essentially majoring in the minors. Once you have your hunger under control and you have energy when you need it the rest is not really worth thinking about that much except as an intellectual curiosity.

I agree. Net calorie deficit. That's how 6 meals a day helps me, because I never get so hungry that I go overboard. And I also agree that this conversation is more about 'intellectual curiosity' than major result drivers.