Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Is age "just a number"?

lorrpblorrpb Posts: 10,252Member Member Posts: 10,252Member Member
I get so tired of hearing this cliche "age is just a number" or "I don't feel age X." Do you agree with these statements? Why are they necessary?

I agree that one's age is not a stereo type or limitation, but age is NOT just a random number. Your age identifies how long you've been on this earth, how long you've been working at life and "trying". It represents some amount of life experience that you have. So I don't know why people insist that age means nothing. To me, it's something to be PROUD of and honor and respect in others.

As for "I don't feel X age," what does that mean? How do you know what X age feels like, or is "supposed" to feel like. It's all based on preconceived notions that much little basis in fact. If i am age X and I feel how I feel, then I feel what I feel at age X. Who is to say it's right or wrong? Who is to say that someone at a young age is supposed to feel energetic and boundless and that someone at an older age must feel weak and decrepit?

Are you proud of your age, trying to hide from it, embarassed by it? How do you feel towards others of various ages?

Hoping for an interesting discussion, otherwise Rant OFF. :D

Replies

• NorthCascadesNorthCascades Posts: 8,595Member Member Posts: 8,595Member Member
    I "don't feel 41" based on how my colleagues describe feeling, and their lifestyles, compared to mine. I'm spry, and I didn't my weeks looking forward to climbing mountains.

Of course you're right that age is a measurement of time, this logic is flawless. Can't argue against it.
  • flippy1234flippy1234 Posts: 672Member Member Posts: 672Member Member
    I am 55. Some days I feel like I could be 25 again. Other days older...sore, achy and tired. Not sure what that age is though. I don't care about age at all. I care about how I look and feel. I don't let anything stop me unless I physically can't do something. Health and happiness is key in my opinion. Age means nothing.
  • vanityy99vanityy99 Posts: 601Member Member Posts: 601Member Member
    Azdak wrote: »
    For whatever reason, society values being “young” and so it tends to promote the idea that we should all aspire to figuratively remain in a younger age group forever.
    Being strong, active, and healthy are my goals—I don’t need to pretend I am 20 years younger.

I actually work with a bunch of kids in their 20s. They were more than a little envious today when I showed them my application for Social Security benefits. They may have the hot young bodies, but I only have about 78 days left to work, and they have about 10,000.

Do you really consider people in their 20s kids still?
  • vanityy99vanityy99 Posts: 601Member Member Posts: 601Member Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I get so tired of hearing this cliche "age is just a number" or "I don't feel age X." Do you agree with these statements? Why are they necessary?

I agree that one's age is not a stereo type or limitation, but age is NOT just a random number. Your age identifies how long you've been on this earth, how long you've been working at life and "trying". It represents some amount of life experience that you have. So I don't know why people insist that age means nothing. To me, it's something to be PROUD of and honor and respect in others.

As for "I don't feel X age," what does that mean? How do you know what X age feels like, or is "supposed" to feel like. It's all based on preconceived notions that much little basis in fact. If i am age X and I feel how I feel, then I feel what I feel at age X. Who is to say it's right or wrong? Who is to say that someone at a young age is supposed to feel energetic and boundless and that someone at an older age must feel weak and decrepit?

Are you proud of your age, trying to hide from it, embarassed by it? How do you feel towards others of various ages?

I think when people say cliches like age is just a number some people just might mean that they are still the same person as they were when they were young adults personality wise and hobbies.
  • PhirrgusPhirrgus Posts: 1,492Member Member Posts: 1,492Member Member
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »

I think when people say cliches like age is just a number some people just might mean that they are still the same person as they were when they were young adults personality wise and hobbies.

I agree. Then there are those who say it as a way of "consoling me.." I've had people literally say that to me. "Don't feel bad, age is just a number.."

What the heck get outta here with that crap :D I feel bad about nothing these days lol.
  • DjproulxDjproulx Posts: 1,333Member Member Posts: 1,333Member Member
    I think those statements are simplistic responses to stereo typing related to aging. Another one that comes to mind is " You don't look xx years old" .

I'm very active, so I often have people commenting on my fitness level and/or activities. When they do, I"m very happy to tell them that I'm 61. :)