Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Is age "just a number"?

Replies

• michael1976_camichael1976_ca Posts: 3,234Member Member Posts: 3,234Member Member
    My cousin still likes clubbing and meeting girls of course he lies and say he 25 when he really 43 years old. Me i can care less and i won't lie
  • MotorsheenMotorsheen Posts: 13,691Member Member Posts: 13,691Member Member
    The creepiest is when older men say this to hesitant young women they are attempting to pick up.

Ha... that's pretty funn....

wait.

what exactly is 'older' ??
  • k8eekinsk8eekins Posts: 1,738Member Member Posts: 1,738Member Member
    Age when looked at as a litmus, is a friendly. Free of ego, there's clarity; No facades, no stigmas, full of resilience. What most fail to grasp is, balanced, conscious and quality living at any age, are advantageous to one's beauty and one's vitality. Over the years, at seeing my seniors, my peers and my juniors, I have been further encouraged to not drop the ball, seeing that a good majority accommodate the excuse that letting go is a natural progression to getting older, what is appropriate. Now that I'm older, I embrace my age, enjoying my maturity. My youth, however, not so much. I loathed being terribly young.

Youth Vs Maturity and how it affects perception to bait and hook anything and everything, encourages me to take care of myself, to the best of my ability, for what is ideal is never in favour of maturity. At any stage of life, there's good medicine - R(ecovery) & R(egeneration) and there's bad medicine - D(egeneration) & D(eath). Attitude and approach - What is your modus operandi? Since turning 21 with the quality sister and BFF that I have, I was influenced to reconsider my choices, learning that I'd aged-out of the sweet spot and that despite what the popularised notions behind campaigns were, my reset read otherwise. Assuming years ago, that I wouldn't be in as good a stead as I am today, I am inspired to become a centenarian like members of my maternal side of the family; Why I do not fear getting older.

How do I feel about others of various ages? For those who are older - Usually couples, quality friendships for real talks - Love, respect and learning. Sadly, most of them live too far from where I am. With those who are a decade younger, I feel they're at risk of increasing disconnections, often distracted with what's unimportant, performing to impress and to out-do each other, too self-involved. Amongst the 2 decades younger sets - they're entertaining, are open-book, sociable and inclusive.
  • SugaSugaNoooSugaSugaNooo Posts: 35Member Member Posts: 35Member Member
    I am 46 and it's only until very recent that I'm fine with that.
    I absolutely hated turning 40 and it took me a long, long time to get over that (as in, at least 5 years!).

The ageing process really bothered me for a long time and I had a lot of regret that I didn't appreciate and look after myself better when I was in my 20s and 30s.
    It's only now that I'm starting to see I'm fine the way I am. I'm healthy, I'm confident but I'm also embracing the 100 skincare products I own and I will keep dying those greys - not ready to roll over just yet. :p
  • DjproulxDjproulx Posts: 1,331Member Member Posts: 1,331Member Member
    Djproulx wrote: »
    I think those statements are simplistic responses to stereo typing related to aging. Another one that comes to mind is " You don't look xx years old" .

I'm very active, so I often have people commenting on my fitness level and/or activities. When they do, I"m very happy to tell them that I'm 61. :)

That 5K I mentioned? The winner overall (1st out of 500) was a 61-year-old, too. ;)

ikiyt720j8ps.png

Putting down a 19:11 time at the 5k distance is an impressive result no matter what your age is!
  • PhirrgusPhirrgus Posts: 1,425Member Member Posts: 1,425Member Member
    I am 46 and it's only until very recent that I'm fine with that.
    I absolutely hated turning 40 and it took me a long, long time to get over that (as in, at least 5 years!).

The ageing process really bothered me for a long time and I had a lot of regret that I didn't appreciate and look after myself better when I was in my 20s and 30s.
    It's only now that I'm starting to see I'm fine the way I am. I'm healthy, I'm confident but I'm also embracing the 100 skincare products I own and I will keep dying those greys - not ready to roll over just yet. :p

My oldest is 36, and she is already hung up on the fact that 40 isn't far away. My 40s and 50s have (so far) been some of the best years of my life, and it literally started with a major attitude adjustment. Once I got past the mental hurdle and the commonly accepted misconceptions about age, everything changed. Enjoy :)
    edited June 6
  • hesn92hesn92 Posts: 5,446Member Member Posts: 5,446Member Member
    I'm only 30 so I'm pretty young and don't really have experience. I can say, that when I look at people older than me, I don't view that as being a bad thing, other than obviously being closer to death. But you could die any moment no matter how old you are. I never understand women in particular, who are in their 40's, 50's, being all depressed because they are "old" and not as youthful looking etc. I just don't see how there's any less in life to be enjoyed when you're 50, 60 etc. vs. when you're 25? Are they upset because they have some fine lines and wrinkles? So what? If anything life should be better because I won't have young kids to spend all my money on. But like I said, I'm only 30, so I guess I don't really know what it's like.
    edited June 6
  • pierinifitnesspierinifitness Posts: 1,860Member, Premium Member Posts: 1,860Member, Premium Member
    For folks closer to my age, you'll enjoy this humorous video, for the younger folks, heads up what's one day coming your way, God willing.

• RetiredAndLovingItRetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 514Member Member Posts: 514Member Member
    My baby turns 40 this year! That seems to define my age (to me) more than the 70 that I will be at the end of the year. But overall, I am happy with this stage of my life...I am within 10-15# that I would like to be (& have been forever it seems!), I try to keep active, & I have almost all my original parts (minus gallbladder). It does make me think a little more about mortality when I see people my age or younger passing on. I hope I will be like my mother who was 93 when she passed.
  • kimny72kimny72 Posts: 12,438Member Member Posts: 12,438Member Member
    I think it just means that you don't have to fall into the prevailing stereotype for a given age group. I think a big chunk of the reason I gained weight in my 40's was that I started 'acting my age'... gave up a lot of the activities I enjoyed and fell into the mindset of 'this is the part of life where I start sitting on the couch and get fat'... it's what you're supposed to do in your 40's... except it's not - or at least it doesn't have to be.

I agree with this. People tend to get stuck in stereotypes about what a person a certain age "should" be like. How many people do we see post here wondering if it's worth it to try because they are over 35 or in their 50s or whatever. I generally have no problem with a cliche reminding people not to resign themselves to less just because of their age.

Having said that, it's true you can't ignore it entirely, a 50 yr old body may not bounce back or react the way your 25 yr old body did. When you're trying to tell your dad that he's 75 and shouldn't be climbing that tree with a power saw, him saying "age is just a number" is REALLY annoying :lol:

When I was younger, I had a lot of preconceived ideas about what I would look like/feel like/act like when I was 46 and I'm not any of those things now, so I don't "feel my age". But I don't feel like any other age either! I think it's just generally finding it hard to believe I'm this old, this many years past high school, now as old as my parents when I was in school, that sort of thing!
    edited June 6
  • PhirrgusPhirrgus Posts: 1,425Member Member Posts: 1,425Member Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    hard to believe I'm this old

:D I almost gave you a woo :D

j/k :) It does sneak up on you.
  • beckyrplbeckyrpl Posts: 12Member Member Posts: 12Member Member
    Anyone get the back-handed compliment 'you look great for your age'?! Sigh......I'm 53 - most of the time, I feel great - sometimes after a tough workout I feel like I'm 103. Often I'll pass by a mirror and think 'Who IS this wrinkled woman'?! My attitude is - yes, I'm going to age - but if I can stay healthy and fit - I'm okay with it!