"Four terms that make dietitians cringe" - Why we say what we do on these boards

13»

Replies

• OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    I didn't get to read the entire article because I hit a pay wall, but I'm curious as to whether hydrogenated oil would be a "bad" food. Not saying all calories aren't equal, but I do consider foods with hydrogenated oil bad, but maybe I've been misinformed.

Here in the UK, hydrogenated fat is considered bad in any quantity.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited June 2019
    OooohToast wrote: »
    I didn't get to read the entire article because I hit a pay wall, but I'm curious as to whether hydrogenated oil would be a "bad" food. Not saying all calories aren't equal, but I do consider foods with hydrogenated oil bad, but maybe I've been misinformed.

Here in the UK, hydrogenated fat is considered bad in any quantity.

Has the UK banned trans fats yet? I know it hadn't even by the time the US did: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/climate-and-people/countries-urged-wipe-killer-trans-fats-foods/

I mention this just because I suspect you may be trying to suggest that the UK has a different view on trans fats than the US.

Of course, partially hydrogenated oils are distinct from fully hydrogenated oils, and there are also naturally occurring trans fats which are not believed to pose the same problems as the artificial ones. (As I understand it, fully hydrogenated oils do not result in trans fats, but sat fat.)

I suspect most people would agree that there are some things that can be actively harmful in but the tracest of doses, which is why there are various ingredients that are banned, but I think this is different from the claim that is being discussed in the original post here, that foods in general can be divided into "good" and "bad." That's an overly simplistic and not all that helpful way to approach nutrition.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    Years ago I stopped going to WW because of the whole good/bad food thing.

I should make clear it wasn't anything official to do with the program, but the general chat in the weigh in queue at the start. These people going on about how awful they were because they ate a kit-kat on Tuesday....had a moment of clarity when I realized I was having a can of diet coke and a packet of low cal crisps for lunch, and quit. It was not helpful to me, and in many ways made me worse.
    (I'm not knocking it for others, I know some find it very helpful)

These days it's much more about the nutrition, and reasonable, balanced choices.

Yes, I didn't like that about WW either. Plus what they considered good foods were bad foods for me. ("Bad" meaning I had bad reactions, didn't like the taste, etc.)
  • mojavemtbr
    mojavemtbr Posts: 65 Member
    Number #4 is a biggie to me. So many people think Carbohydrates are the Boogey Man.
    Carbs are mainly the macros built the Great Pyramids, fueled Roman Legions to conquer what was most of the known world, allowed Native American messengers to run 40, 50, 60...miles to deliver important information to other distant tribes, and what got winners of the Tour de France to the podium.
    Yet in the last couple decades carbs have somehow magically become bad.
    Weird how none of those past groups I mentioned in the above examples ever were known for having weight problems huh ?