Down 92 lbs: Lo-cal vs Lo-carb—my experience

2»

Replies

• LRLemon
    LRLemon Posts: 51 Member
    Hi Sugar... How did I manage vacations? A few things come to mind: first, it helps that cravings go away when eating very low carb. When I was eating a low-calorie diet (averaged about 120g carbs/day) I gained about 8 lbs in 10 days. On keto, I gained 1.5 lbs in 3 weeks (I lost 3 lbs within a few days of being back). I basically ate protein and veggies and stayed away from starches and sweets. Coffee with cream was a great afternoon treat.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,228 Member
    @LRLemon Congrats on your success and a very thoughtful post. I think you clearly described why keto works for many people.

I am not a KETO person, finding it relatively easy to lose 50 pounds in 6 mo on CICO, focusing on a balanced diet with minimal processed food. I experimented with KETO, found it effective, but realized that I was never going to be able to sustain it in the long term.

What our two circumstances point out is that there is not one "right" way. Each person needs to explore options, learn what works for them, and then be consistent. The diet that is right for you is the one that gets you to your goal and that you can sustain forever.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    edited June 2019
    So, in other words, Keto helped you regulate your hunger better and stay within a calorie deficit.
    Because CICO is the basis of ALL weightloss.
    Its not "Keto worked better than CICO" its "Keto helped me with CICO" :smile:
  • LRLemon
    edited June 2019
    Hi Brittany... not exactly. For a damaged system like mine (insulin resistant, or Pre-diabetic) it is not the calories that effect my fat storage, it is the insulin in my body. Carbs trigger insulin, too much protein triggers insulin. Insulin cuts triglycerides (long-chain fatty acids) into smaller chains which allow them to enter the liver where they reform and have to be cut again in order to escape. Unfortunately, insulin also turns off the hormone needed to do that. Lowering the insulin in my system (aka not eating foods that trigger insulin) is why my triglycerides have lowered significantly (189 —> 116) and why I have lost more weight on keto than on CICO in the same amount of time (both diets I ate 1100-1200 calories/day). So, it’s not as simple for someone with a system like mine that is pumping too much insulin into circulation to make up for their insulin resistance (which also causes an endless feeling of hunger and cravings). As I found out, a calorie is not a calorie for my system.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    LRLemon wrote: »
    Hi Brittany... not exactly. For a damaged system like mine (insulin resistant, or Pre-diabetic) it is not the calories that effect my fat storage, it is the insulin in my body. Carbs trigger insulin, too much protein triggers insulin. Insulin cuts triglycerides (long-chain fatty acids) into smaller chains which allow them to enter the liver where they reform and have to be cut again in order to escape. Unfortunately, insulin also turns off the hormone needed to do that. Lowering the insulin in my system (aka not eating foods that trigger insulin) is why my triglycerides have lowered significantly (189 —> 116) and why I have lost more weight on keto than on CICO in the same amount of time (both diets I ate 1100-1200 calories/day). So, it’s not as simple for someone with a system like mine that is pumping too much insulin into circulation to make up for their insulin resistance (which also causes an endless feeling of hunger and cravings). As I found out, a calorie is not a calorie for my system.

I guess I've never dealt with diabetes so I never understood how that works. I'm glad you found something that gets you results!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    @neugebauer52..you said 30/35/35 for macros..which is which?
  • LRLemon
    edited June 2019
    Hi Retired... My macro goals are </= 25g carbs, 79g protein, and the remaining in Fat. Once my goal of a healthy weight is reached I will increase my fat intake.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!