1200 calories and 10,000 steps: does it work for you?

2»

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I have only started logging my food and walking/steps on this site and notice at despite rarely eating 1200 calories and walking over 10,000 steps a day, I have not really lost any weight. I did lose weight about 2 months ago, 4lbs but then gained it again. I work on a ward, so my job can be very active but gained weight whilst taking steroids for bells palsy on 2 occasions. I want to lose weight steadily but safely. I do not deliberately eat below 12000 but do not feel hungry most of the time. Any help would be appreciated.

Are you weighing ALL of your food using a food scale?
  • tiffany80802017
    tiffany80802017 Posts: 92 Member
    I have a lot of weight to lose (100+ lbs) and 1200 kcal/10k steps keeps me stable. I didn’t lose weight until I moved more and exercised. Now I exercise 60-120 mins/day, eat between 1200-1800kcal (most days closer to 1200), and average about 17k steps per day, and am losing weight slowly.

I log/weigh everything except 2 or so times a month when eating away from home.

Not saying this is the correct ratio for you by any means, rather, I don’t think the calculations add up for everyone.

Kcal in/out is not always correct because it doesn’t take into account metabolic factors that vary. My Apple Watch shows a combined Active and Resting kcal per day of about 4000, meaning I should lose about 5 lbs per week, but in actuality it’s more like 1 lb per week.
  • stephie_nyc
    stephie_nyc Posts: 96 Member
    1200 cals and 10k steps is the sweet spot for me to lose fat at a more aggressive pace. I’m 5’4” and I usually cut once I get up to 148. I can’t keep up 1200 calories for more than 2 weeks though.
  • quemalosuerte
    quemalosuerte Posts: 234 Member
    My “base” goal calories right now is 1300 and i get between 1100 and 1400 added back when i reach 10k steps. I eat back about half of them most days. Without eating back calories, it would just be too low to be sustainable.