Summer 2019 fitness goals - the measurable ones

Options
Tomorrow is the first day of summer, finally got it right.

I've set a half-dozen fitness goals I'll be tackling during summer with an achievement date of the first day of Fall 2019 or sooner. I did a similar drill for Spring 2019 and recently finished my "executive briefing" (to myself). I achieved most of them but missed a couple.

What about you? Do you have a short list of measurable fitness goals for this summer?

I'll share mine tomorrow, the first day of summer. Anyone here want to share their Summer 2019 fitness goals?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Rehabbing running injuries I got during my spring training :(
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

Yup, I'll be rehabbing some broken fingers and regaining upper body strength.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I would like to get my 5K pace under 7 min/mile, but I am currently trying to keep a nagging hamstring issue from becoming a full blown injury, so I may have to revisit that. At some point I will probably have to accept that aging and PRing are no longer compatible things. But I'm not ready to accept it just yet ;)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

Yup, I'll be rehabbing some broken fingers and regaining upper body strength.

Good to know I'm not alone! I'm having an ITBS flare up on one side and some hip discomfort on the other. Neither is severe, but I've been itching to run again and so I haven't been very good about increasing mileage slowly. It's annoying.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I've had to shelve my spring training plan due to a chronic achilles issue. I finally surrendered to it at MD's urging and withdrew from this year's two key races, the NYC triathlon and Ironman Mont Tremblant, to focus on injury rehab. I've done no running or cycling since March.

My goal for the summer is to continue swimming and reintroduce some easy cycling in July. Longer term goal is to be able to resume running by September. It's been as big a mental challenge as a physical one.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Here are my “official” Summer 2019 fitness goals. Just so you’re not underwhelmed by some of them, remember I’m age 64.

Summer 2019 Goals to be accomplished by first day of Fall 2019:

1.       Complete 10k fun run and run at a 9:00 mile pace.

2.       Run 1-mile on high school all-weather track in 7:30.

3.       Complete 100 alternating pull-ups and chin-ups in 20 minutes.

4.       Maintain body weight of 172-177 lbs. 98 percent of summer days.

5.       Achieve 16 percent body fat.

6.       Trim waist to 32 inches.

7.       Bump VO2 Max to 46.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Here are my “official” Summer 2019 fitness goals. Just so you’re not underwhelmed by some of them, remember I’m age 64.

That's a solid list of challenges. Don't know that I'd get the pullups/chin ups done even if I were healthy. :)
  • pierinifitness
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    That's a solid list of challenges. Don't know that I'd get the pullups/chin ups done even if I were healthy. :)

Actually, that's the one I'm closest to conquering, my latest time is 20:03. I omitted some of the details one of which I want to have 5 rep round minimums so I need 20 rounds of 5 reps to get the 100 rep total. That will take a little more training.

Noticing a lot of injuries from the runner types. Hmmm.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Stand on the summit of Sahale Peak.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Train appropriately first my first full marathon.

Lower my 5k (perhaps simultaneously to marathon prep?) To 26:59.

Actually DO yoga...
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I still consider myself a beginner runner having started in February. So I’ll focus on continuing to build my weekly running mileage. My pace is already going down a little bit, but I think it’s too early for me to focus on speedwork.
  • Samantharavenclaw84
    Samantharavenclaw84 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    1. Run 1+ miles at a steady pace.
    2. Lose 10 pounds
    3. I would like to be able to chaturange- plank, mid plank, upward dog and then into downward dog. 5 months of yoga and I can't seem to get a handle on the mid plank and up dog.
  • pierinifitness
    edited June 2019
    Options
    aes1219 wrote: »
    1. Lead climb a 5.12 route.
    2. Reach my goal weight of 115 lbs (7 lbs to go) then maintain between 115 and 120 lbs.
    3. Continuing increasing my pull ups and chin ups (my long term goal is to increase my reps by 1 for each month old my son is. He is almost 6 months old now, so the goal right now is 6 which I am able to do).
    4. Increase my weighted pull up and chin up ability to 50 lbs for 1 rep. I can currently do 25 lbs for 1--2 reps.

Nice job on pull-ups andd challenging goal. I’ve found gymnasts and climbers to have awesome pull-ups performance.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    aes1219 wrote: »
    1. Lead climb a 5.12 route.
    2. Reach my goal weight of 115 lbs (7 lbs to go) then maintain between 115 and 120 lbs.
    3. Continuing increasing my pull ups and chin ups (my long term goal is to increase my reps by 1 for each month old my son is. He is almost 6 months old now, so the goal right now is 6 which I am able to do).
    4. Increase my weighted pull up and chin up ability to 50 lbs for 1 rep. I can currently do 25 lbs for 1--2 reps.

👍
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Impressive list, even for someone half your age!
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    Thanks @lporter229 - I need measurements because, for me, there’s deception in perception. Wishing you the best as you chase your goals.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    My goals (as they stand atm)
    1. PR in a half marathon I'm doing on the 18th August, that's mainly what I'm training for atm (I am not fast by any means my PR for that course is 2:32, my half PR is 2:29)
    2. Get back to running a sub 9min mile on a regular basis (or at all right now, back under 10min but struggling to get under 9:30)
    3. Get back to running a sub 30min 5k, I was able to do this last year before being injured and then marathon training.
    4. Get a course PR on at least 2 of the races I've got remaining this year, if not 3 or 4
    5. Deadlift 100kg (pr is 98.5kg)
    6. Do an unassisted chin up (ridiculously close to that) and unassisted pull up (got a way to go for that)
    7. Do 10 clapping push ups
    8. Not have a meltdown when faced with a nasty hill in a half I'm doing in Sept)
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Well I suppose "sucking less" isn't actually a measurable goal ;)

In that case, scull more (at least twice a week).
    Gain confidence in bowing.
    Try not to get stressed out about feeling the need to do more cross training than I currently do.
    Think about running once a week on Wednesdays (key word being "think"). This is a bit of a contradiction with the above goal.
    Compete in a second regatta this summer (maybe in a double, maybe in a very flat bottomed single?! - see the first goal)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Well I suppose "sucking less" isn't actually a measurable goal ;)

In that case, scull more (at least twice a week).
    Gain confidence in bowing.
    Try not to get stressed out about feeling the need to do more cross training than I currently do.
    Think about running once a week on Wednesdays (key word being "think"). This is a bit of a contradiction with the above goal.
    Compete in a second regatta this summer (maybe in a double, maybe in a very flat bottomed single?! - see the first goal)

Okay, I'll bite. I thought of a few definitions of "bowing" but none of them seemed to me like they'd require a lot of fitness (?)