Nike ad using plus size mannequins

124»

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    @AnnPT77 I had to buy a wetsuit last year and it was one of the worst shopping experiences in my life. I did it all online, but it made me feel so awful about myself that I couldn't find one that would fit me. I searched for days. I eventually came across a brand that makes suits for triathalons, and their biggest size for women went up to 220 lbs. At the time I was 240, but this was the best I could find so I gave it a try and it fit. But its like c'mon world, now plus size people don't go diving? Jeezus.

It is actually dangerous to dive when obese. https://www.scubadiving.com/training/ask-expert/are-you-too-fat-dive

This is a big oversimplification. Diving is a physical activity, and divers are supposed to be in good enough physical shape that diving is not strenuous. But this is not the same as saying that obese people shouldn't dive. The article was quite a bit misleading in quoting the percentage of dive deaths for people who were obese vs a normal weight, without acknowledging that there are more obese people than normal weight people. When adjusting for that, there is still a correlation, but it's not nearly as jarring.

At some point, a high enough weight probably makes diving unsafe for someone. But it's not as simple as just saying "obese"
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Nike is just trying to sell their products and the obese market is not one to bypass.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    @AnnPT77 I had to buy a wetsuit last year and it was one of the worst shopping experiences in my life. I did it all online, but it made me feel so awful about myself that I couldn't find one that would fit me. I searched for days. I eventually came across a brand that makes suits for triathalons, and their biggest size for women went up to 220 lbs. At the time I was 240, but this was the best I could find so I gave it a try and it fit. But its like c'mon world, now plus size people don't go diving? Jeezus.

Ah this is one of my goals for when Im around 220ish next year hopefully, that I can get a wetsuit. I still wont be able to fit into one in the UK though and anticipate that I have to order from america. I will have to get one in 2 parts.