Yogis Unite!

1235»

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Following this thread has inspired me to set some more specific longer term goals for my practice. My initial focus was very general, but I'd really like make significant improvement in my balance work. That should help help to stabilize me during running. I'm often shaky with airplane pose and sometimes even with tree pose. Of course, increased hip and quad mobility are also on my list of weaknesses to address and would help in my other training.

And finally, I want to be able to get into and hold a crow pose - just for the fun of it. At this time, I'm not even close. Maybe something to focus on this fall.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 522 Member
    Time...stretching...stretch WARM muscles. And..time..and practice. It took me a really long time to get my splits/monkey asana.

I am so SO happy you're getting into yoga! That is awesome progress on touching your toes-soon it'll be the floor-then palms on the floor, just wait and see! I love that it is about seeing what our bodies can do and appreciating There are a few videos about working your way up to the splits. Careful if you have bad knees though. Also blocks and yoga blankets can be very helpful. Props help a lot with working your way up to different poses.

Thank you, appreciated! :)

The prospect of lengthy, never ending projects, would have had me running in the opposite direction a few years back. Picking up goals along the way during weight loss (and beyond) has been really positive though, and quelled most of those fears. I'm quite looking forward to all the stretching in my future! Haha

I got click-baited into reading an article (thankful this time, lol).. about a 59 year old, Strictly Come Dancing show contestant, graciously sliding into the splits, audience were dazzled. It got me thinking, this person has got to be on the right track...all that mobility has to count for something. Turns out they'd been a yogi for a while, on closer inspection! :mrgreen:

Knee caution, noted. I'm going to invest in those yoga blocks you mention, they look/seem really useful! And I'm going to steal all of the blankets and pillows in the house (LOL). I will come back here, in how ever long it takes, with a Monkey Pose success story! :D

Thanks again, have a great day! (to you, and all)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member
    Oh, let’s not even talk about balance. I remind myself often it’s why yoga is a “practice”. I’ve added balance practice to my morning stretch. Some mornings it’s there, other mornings. I have to yell “watch out, cat!!!!”before I fall on him. His fault for wrapping himself around my ankles because he should know the risks by now!

The first studio I went to had us practice warrior III against the wall. For some reason that helped because I’ve always been able to feel that alignment we practiced. Am working on taking my hand off the block for it and sorta getting there.

Also working on holding ankle with both hands for standing splits.

Tree pose is a beyotch for me. I feel sorry for anyone behind me during any balance sequence but particularly tree. Yikes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Hi beautiful yoga people! I’ve just given myself a fresh start on MFP..:I was tired of seeing my stats from pre-baby days.

I’ve been practicing most of the last 10 years. I started yoga teacher training in March, I’m about halfway through a 200-hour! It’s been one of the best decisions I have made.

My YTT style is core-strength vinyasa. I also practice slow flow and restorative, depending on the day and the needs of my body and mind.

Favorite poses: warrior III; flow between warrior II-exalted warrior; trusty old pigeon.

💖namaste

Hooray-hi there, fellow Yogi!

That's amazing! I've thought about taking the instructor training when I have the money...kinda expensive! Do you know at what point or how many hours you'll be able to teach?

Welcome! Namaste.

Teacher training prices (and quality) will vary widely. I see the weekend program is currently $2700 at Kripalu, with scholarships available. That includes room & meals. $924 for commuters.

https://kripalu.org/presenters-programs/200-hour-kripalu-yoga-teacher-training-weekend-format *

Looks like the month long intensive has no commuter option: https://kripalu.org/presenters-programs/200-hour-kripalu-yoga-teacher-training-monthlong-intensive *

I never got the impression that I could teach before I graduated.

How many hours you'll be able to teach depends on your location. When I lived in upstate NY, between the ashram and three local gyms, I was able to teach as much as I wanted. But when I moved to South Florida and everything was much more spread apart, I was no longer able to make a living as a yoga teacher, and got a desk job. (And started gaining weight, lol.)

* I have no financial relationship with Kripalu so this is neither advertising nor spam.
  • springlering62
    Candlestick. It occurred to me this morning. Yeah, gravity still sucks, but at least now I have seventy plus pounds fewer of fat sliding down to block my view and choke me.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Candlestick. It occurred to me this morning. Yeah, gravity still sucks, but at least now I have seventy plus pounds fewer of fat sliding down to block my view and choke me.

I can't get my hinney off the ground. I can hold a variation where I use the wall to get up and have one foot on the wall and one in position, then switch, as long as anyone in my class can hold shoulder stand. I have been doing that variation long enough that I am relaxed in it and breathe regularly. I do ab exercises every day, including just trying to get my hinney off the ground. I have found two variations online, but I am not sure it is even safe to try if I don't have the strength to get my hinney up in the first place. I WANT TO GET MY HINNEY OFF THE GROUND! I was hoping to be able to do it as an obese woman, but the pounds are coming off and I am no closer to halasana, much less salamba sarvangasana.

My variation is what this woman is doing at 5:06, but my teacher doesn't want me to go into shoulder stand from there, and like I said, I am concerned enough about strength to body weight that I haven't gone against her. I just hold that position for a couple of minutes, then switch legs. supported shoulder stand video
  • springlering62
    @concordancia Be patient. If you persist, it will happen. Baby steps first. I’ve been practicing fairly seriously for seven years and some things are just now coming to me. I fear balance never fully will, but I practice it every morning anyway. At least it’s no longer crash and burn balance.

Have you tried Pilates? I am amazed at the amount of core strength it has given me, and it’s made shoulder stand much easier, since there’s a lot of focus on pressing the backs of the arms into the ground.

If you google Pilates Rollover you’ll see a good exercise, but you need to have a fairly strong practice in Pilates before doing it.

They also do a similar version where you go into shoulder stand without supporting your back with your hands, coming slowly down into boat pose.

The backs of your arms and your core control everything. They’re not easy moves, but my shoulder stand and plow improved drastically after a few rounds of these.

I’m finding that everything I do supports something else I do. The weight training helps with the upper body strength so I can begin working on arm balances, my planks are crazy strong now, and chatarungas are improving. The Pilates helps with the weight training because it strengthens core. And the yoga helps with balance and focus at both, and apparently gifted me “good form”. During bench pressing, I just automatically find a drishti on the ceiling, which seems to be a unique thing, I hear. But it helps.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I'm going to leave this here
    i might need to buy a few
  • concordancia

I can't get my hinney off the ground. I can hold a variation where I use the wall to get up and have one foot on the wall and one in position, then switch, as long as anyone in my class can hold shoulder stand. I have been doing that variation long enough that I am relaxed in it and breathe regularly. I do ab exercises every day, including just trying to get my hinney off the ground. I have found two variations online, but I am not sure it is even safe to try if I don't have the strength to get my hinney up in the first place. I WANT TO GET MY HINNEY OFF THE GROUND! I was hoping to be able to do it as an obese woman, but the pounds are coming off and I am no closer to halasana, much less salamba sarvagasana

I did it on my own in class yesterday. I am doing the variation where you kick your feet over your head to the wall for now, but it felt so good to finally get my hinney off the floor with my own muscles!!

Still several pounds inside the obese category, per my goal.

It is just too bad I can't shed several pounds in two weeks, to get that obese taken off my medical chart.
  • concordancia

I can't get my hinney off the ground. I can hold a variation where I use the wall to get up and have one foot on the wall and one in position, then switch, as long as anyone in my class can hold shoulder stand. I have been doing that variation long enough that I am relaxed in it and breathe regularly. I do ab exercises every day, including just trying to get my hinney off the ground. I have found two variations online, but I am not sure it is even safe to try if I don't have the strength to get my hinney up in the first place. I WANT TO GET MY HINNEY OFF THE GROUND! I was hoping to be able to do it as an obese woman, but the pounds are coming off and I am no closer to halasana, much less salamba sarvagasana

I did it on my own in class yesterday. I am doing the variation where you kick your feet over your head to the wall for now, but it felt so good to finally get my hinney off the floor with my own muscles!!

Still several pounds inside the obese category, per my goal.

It is just too bad I can't shed several pounds in two weeks, to get that obese taken off my medical chart.

I ended up progressing to halasana to a chair in the middle of the room the same week that I reached the obese mile marker. From my home practice, I can tell you that I can't do it without the bolster, but at least I look good in class. And because I built up to it, I can hold the pose as long as they have asked us to in class and even do the leg variations without falling over.
  • shahpriti1232
    shahpriti1232 Posts: 6 Member
    Oxygen consumption and ventilatory changes during Savitri pranayam and shavasan were studied in nine yoga.trained volunteers. Both techniques produced an immediate and appreciable decrease in oxygen consumption and minute ventilation. The ventilatory equivalent for oxygen did not change significantly. This shows that subjects trained in yoga can achieve a hypometabolic state by the practice of Savitri pranayam and shavasan. (1)

Health Benefits of Shavasana

A yoga session is never complete without the practice of Shavasana, which is the ultimate yogic relaxation postures. Shavasana is a Sanskrit term, which translates into ‘corpse pose’. It is also sometimes referred to as Mrtasana or the ‘death asana’. (2)

1. Practising Shavasana Correctly
    It is important to get in and out of Shavasana correctly, to ensure maximum benefit to mind and body relaxation.

2. Mental Health & Awareness
    Concentration, focus and creativity can be built with the regular practice of Shavasana, while stress and anxiety can be kept at bay.

3. High Blood Pressure
    Practicing Shavasana for 15-20 minutes every day can have a moderately significant impact in lowering high blood pressure.

4. Muscle Tightness
    Practice Shavasana regularly to ensure that muscle tension is effectively prevented or cured.

5. Treat Insomnia
    Not only does Shavasana help get insomnia out of the way, but it also helps improve the quality of sleep.

6. Balance The Doshas
    Vata and Pitta doshas can benefit from the regular practice of Shavasana, while dominant Kapha doshas can practice it in moderation.

7. Yoga Nidra
    Shavasana is the recommended posture for yoga Nidra, a powerful tool for meditation.