July 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    Sooooooo...
    Goal today was to finish under 32:00 and podium. Based on my training and the past race history, both were doable. Sunny and about 70 degrees F at race start.
    My plan was to start at about 6:15 for the first k and then negative split 10 seconds per kilometer. That would have put me under 30:00 for the race.
    Start was a little crowded, but settle in well. Legs felt good and the first k was 6:11. On track with plan.
    Second k was 6:16. Needed to pick it up a bit.
    Third k was 6:04. Still feeling pretty good and smooth. Then got to the 3.5 k point and began to falter.
    Fourth k was 6:23; fifth k was 6:24. Finished. Chip time was 31:11, so I met the first part of my goal. And, based on past race results, was rehearsing my walk to get my medal.
    Later found out I would have had to run 29:31 to podium.
    Positive takeaway was this was my fastest time of 2019.
    My lesson learned was that I have to get back on the weight loss wagon. I can't carry these additional pounds around and expert to get to my 2019 goal of under 30:00.
    My initial disappointment has been replaced by the satisfaction that I ran well despite the temperature.
    Now I need to train harder and learn to run better.
    Being old and proud is a *kitten.*

Sounds like you did very well given the variables. Any race you can learn from is a victory, so well done :)

• PastorVincent
    Options
    Good news! I survived my two-day marathon. Absolutely shattered now so will write a race report tomorrow.

YAY!!! Well done!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Good news! I survived my two-day marathon. Absolutely shattered now so will write a race report tomorrow.

Great!!! Looking forward to the report.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary - congratulations! Can't wait to read your race(s) review!
    @Squish815 - Love reading this! It is great when things just come together and a run is truly wonderful!
    @Tramboman - now I will have that Old MacDonald song in my head all day 🤪
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    SOOOOOoooOOoOOOOOO turns out prednisone (which was rx'd for the hand thing) spikes blood sugar... guess I am going to be going for a new PR on my Blood Glucose meter!

I got 4 days more to pull it off, maybe I can up my carbs to help achieve this goal? Fruity Pebbles for breakfast I guess!

Oh yeah, it sure does. I had my doc give me some glimeperide temporarily when I got a steroid shot, which kept me a little high but at least within safe levels. How’s the hand looking?
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    SOOOOOoooOOoOOOOOO turns out prednisone (which was rx'd for the hand thing) spikes blood sugar... guess I am going to be going for a new PR on my Blood Glucose meter!

I got 4 days more to pull it off, maybe I can up my carbs to help achieve this goal? Fruity Pebbles for breakfast I guess!

Oh yeah, it sure does. I had my doc give me some glimeperide temporarily when I got a steroid shot, which kept me a little high but at least within safe levels. How’s the hand looking?

Hand feels fine today. Considering stopping the prednisone, but talked with a friend who is a nurse and she was not happy with that suggestion. It is only 4 more days worth. *shrugs*
  • Tramboman
    Options

A PR is a PR....
  • Tramboman
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @ContraryMaryMary - congratulations! Can't wait to read your race(s) review!
    @Squish815 - Love reading this! It is great when things just come together and a run is truly wonderful!
    @Tramboman - now I will have that Old MacDonald song in my head all day 🤪

Eee iii eee iii ohhh.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Yep, steroids, coffee... pretty much anything that triggers excess glycogenolysis will raise your BG.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Sanjay9609 wrote: »
    Hello There!
    Are you guys doing this again in August?
    I'd love to join.
    I want to hit 100 miles during the month.

We do it every month