Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Simplify Weight and Measurement

denihankindenihankin Posts: 3Member, Premium Member Posts: 3Member, Premium Member
I feel there are too many options for weighing/measuring food and the database for food is becoming huge as people have the ability to enter the same item using different methods.

Some options being used, such as '1 piece', '1 cup' (of broccoli?) 1 banana (small? large?) make no sense for measuring portions. 'Cup' isn't even a standard measurement - in the UK it is 230ml while in many other countries it is 250ml. (how would we know it it is a British cup or a German cup?) :)

Would it not be logical to just have a standard form of measurement such as:
millilitres, grams
fluid ounces, ounces

The scale will do the rest - anyone who is serious about their weight owns a scale.

Also, perhaps it would be a good idea to Spring clean the database every now and then to remove the excess items. (Just a search on 'cup/piece/slice should clear it easily)

Replies

• socajamsocajam Posts: 3,013Member, Premium Member Posts: 3,013Member, Premium Member
    You know this is a US program right, so hence the need to have cups.
    As the food database is entered by usres, do the same and enter your own food and use: millilitres, grams
    fluid ounces and ounces - this will solved all of your problems.
    For me, I look at what it on offer in the food database, take the closet one that fit my needs and use it.
    You are not the first to ask this question and you won't be the last, trust me this time next year, another person will ask the same question.
  • LyndaBSSLyndaBSS Posts: 2,974Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,974Member, Premium Member
    I actually have no issues with the weights and measurements. I always find what I need. ☺
  • denihankindenihankin Posts: 3Member, Premium Member Posts: 3Member, Premium Member
    Socajam and LyndaBSS, Thank you for taking the trouble to read and reply to my post and I too find what I need after a (sometimes long) search. However it would make the search so much easier if there wasn't so much to wade through. Perhaps if there was a standardised database and people could enter their own personal items in their own personal profile, that would be a better option as 'piece', 'slice' etc is not a measurement. Also 'cup' is not a measurement when referring to broccoli or other solid items.
    With all due respect, and no offence intended, this may be a US app, but it is distributed internationally - cup sizes aren't standard.
    I also realise that this has probably been asked over and over, but perhaps one day the developers will hear.
  • socajamsocajam Posts: 3,013Member, Premium Member Posts: 3,013Member, Premium Member
    As a long time user, this is something you have to get used too.
    I cannot tell you the number of times I have had to change the calorie output on some foods.
    I am not sure if people cannot read, but at least 95% of the time, the numbers are wrong on calorie, protein, carbs, etc. It's very frustrating, but what can we do.
    You are not the first to ask this question and trust me you won't be the last. By this time next week, someone will ask the same question.
    All I can say is try and look beyond this and focus on your goal. Make sure to check the nutrition tab before accepting any food that you are thinking of using.
  • kimny72kimny72 Posts: 13,309Member Member Posts: 13,309Member Member
    The database is user entered and maintained, and I'd guess they want the app to be useful even to folks who want to log more casually, with slices and pieces.

A cup is a standard unit of measurement in the US, for both wet and dry volume measuring and you wouldn't be able to copy many US recipes in here without using cups. It's better to weigh, but lots of users don't want to use a food scale.

You can enter your own entries using whatever unit of measurement you prefer. Once you log it into a meal, it will be in your Recent Foods list. I believe you can also save an entry you create into My Foods list.

Not trying to dissuade you from voicing your opinion at all! I just suspect it is unlikely they will make a change that could be seen as limiting the way some people use the app, even if it made it easier for those of us striving for accuracy. I feel your pain though :smile:
  • denihankindenihankin Posts: 3Member, Premium Member Posts: 3Member, Premium Member
    Yes, I hear you all and I guess it is not in the developers' interests to limit measurements.
    I just love the 'Cooked quinoa' in a 'cup' measurement. Perhaps an idea would be to say 'loosely' packed or 'squashed in' for the days when you are more hungry. That way you get the same 'measurement' regardless of the weight.
    :D :D