Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Exercise Options Lacking

aesimmons5678aesimmons5678 Posts: 3Member Member Posts: 3Member Member
Hi MFP.... Just wanted to mention that the exercise options I can add on the free version of the site are really lacking and out of date. Most people I know (self included) who are tracking their food and fitness are doing more complex workouts (like Metabolic Renewal, Rest Based Training, HIIT, or multi movement exercises with weights). There aren't any options really even close to these in the cardio or strength training sections. (Not even burpees? Which have been around forever?) Does anyone know how to better utilize the exercise section to fit the kind of workouts I doing?

Replies

• ceiswynceiswyn Posts: 2,054Member Member Posts: 2,054Member Member
    It’s all basically aerobics or calisthenics...
  • MikePTYMikePTY Posts: 3,087Member, Premium Member Posts: 3,087Member, Premium Member
    You can create your own exercises and add your own calories. Exercise calories are hard enough to measure, but alot of things you are mentioning aren't exercises that are easy to do a basic exercise calculator for.
  • Catrenasalmonte602Catrenasalmonte602 Posts: 2Member Member Posts: 2Member Member
    I’m having trouble with logging in Bikram Yoga as well. This yoga (if you don’t know) is practiced in 105F with 40% humidity for 90 min. It’s tough to capture that metric in this system. Not sure if “Yoga for the people “ is capturing all of my info accurately.
  • steveko89steveko89 Posts: 1,363Member Member Posts: 1,363Member Member
    If you don’t trust the exercise entire, don’t use them. Consider utilizing a TDEE approach instead; strat with one of the many calculators out there which can provide and estimate, hit that number for a few weeks and compare you’re expected gain/loss to your measured gain/loss, appropriately adjust and re-evaluate.
  • CahgetsfitCahgetsfit Posts: 1,880Member Member Posts: 1,880Member Member
    steveko89 wrote: »
    If you don’t trust the exercise entire, don’t use them. Consider utilizing a TDEE approach instead; strat with one of the many calculators out there which can provide and estimate, hit that number for a few weeks and compare you’re expected gain/loss to your measured gain/loss, appropriately adjust and re-evaluate.

this is also exactly what I do. less of a headache and less worrying about 'eating back calories' and how much to eat back. I create my own exercises in my profile like "weights - leg day" and log "1 calorie burnt" for everything. This way I keep track of what I did on what day, but don't need to worry about calories and macros going all crazy.
  • steveko89steveko89 Posts: 1,363Member Member Posts: 1,363Member Member
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    steveko89 wrote: »

this is also exactly what I do. less of a headache and less worrying about 'eating back calories' and how much to eat back. I create my own exercises in my profile like "weights - leg day" and log "1 calorie burnt" for everything. This way I keep track of what I did on what day, but don't need to worry about calories and macros going all crazy.

If the myriad of "are my exercise calories right?" posts are any indication, each method of "tracking" exercise output is a big guess anyway. From an accuracy standpoint I'd put my TDEE spreadsheet up against any calculator or HR monitor and my n=1 comparison data supports this wholeheartedly. Aside from that, using the TDEE methodology has fostered a healthier mindset about exercise. There's no longer a transaction thought of this exercise or duration equals = X calories or equates to a food item; it's freeing to pursue exercise because it's enjoyable, contributes to a non-scale-related-goal, and has qualitative health benefits in lieu of getting a "good burn"
  • heybalesheybales Posts: 17,052Member Member Posts: 17,052Member Member
    Hi MFP.... Just wanted to mention that the exercise options I can add on the free version of the site are really lacking and out of date. Most people I know (self included) who are tracking their food and fitness are doing more complex workouts (like Metabolic Renewal, Rest Based Training, HIIT, or multi movement exercises with weights). There aren't any options really even close to these in the cardio or strength training sections. (Not even burpees? Which have been around forever?) Does anyone know how to better utilize the exercise section to fit the kind of workouts I doing?

The could duplicate some entries and slap a new text label on them.

Because that's all those workouts are doing - same thing different name.

Or just describe the workout if it's so new and get input as to what it basically is.

Like the HIIT term has incorrectly been slapped on all manner of workouts that aren't HIIT but just some interval type workout like calisthenics.

True HIIT could just be logged under the run or the bike it is with whatever the avg pace/speed was done.

Rest based training sounds like intervals again - same thing.

You may be under the impression or believing the claim they make that they burn calories in some manner far superior than other methods.
    Not true.

So it's really just learning what existing workout is your new one actually the same as.
  • losergood2011losergood2011 Posts: 172Member, Premium Member Posts: 172Member, Premium Member
    The rest based she’s referring to is a full body (push up burpee mountain climber crunch) also using heavy weights to exhaustion.
    Yeah it doesn’t track it. I do it as a circuit or I create my own exercise and name it. But. I don’t adjust for calories burned either

It’s a pain. I agree. But there are ways around it. Nice to see another Dr Jade person here!!!