Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Serving size of created recipe not in any measurable amount?

acorbett5acorbett5 Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
So, I just joined because nutrionix was bad. But at least when I made a recipe with that app, it told me the serving size in grams. I created a recipe here, and it just says 5 servings. Am I really supposed to eyeball 1/5 of pasta? I thought this was a food tracker... i'm guessing most people have a scale of some kind. Or am I missing something?

Replies

• Susieq_1994Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,349Member Member Posts: 5,349Member Member
    A workaround is to weigh your final product and make the number of servings equal to the number of grams in the entire recipe. For example, I made a pot of curry today that weighed 1600 grams (minus the weight of the pot, of course). I can create a recipe and make it 1600 servings, then when I serve myself 200g I would log 200 servings and so on.
  • pnp747pnp747 Posts: 1Member, Premium Member Posts: 1Member, Premium Member
    HI Susieq - i tried what you suggested however if i log 250g of a smoothie as 250 servings, my calorie count goes up to 8000+calories
  • emmies_123emmies_123 Posts: 345Member Member Posts: 345Member Member
    A workaround is to weigh your final product and make the number of servings equal to the number of grams in the entire recipe. For example, I made a pot of curry today that weighed 1600 grams (minus the weight of the pot, of course). I can create a recipe and make it 1600 servings, then when I serve myself 200g I would log 200 servings and so on.

When doing this, don't forget to weigh the empty container first so you aren't including in food weight =)
  • deannalfisherdeannalfisher Posts: 5,038Member, Premium Member Posts: 5,038Member, Premium Member
    pnp747 wrote: »
    HI Susieq - i tried what you suggested however if i log 250g of a smoothie as 250 servings, my calorie count goes up to 8000+calories

did you set serving size to 1g?

so if you make a recipe that is 1000g - you set it to 1000 servings...then you eat 250g - so you log as 250 servings (and your calories should be about 1/4 of the overall calorie count)
  • rosebarnalicerosebarnalice Posts: 2,813Member Member Posts: 2,813Member Member
    If you use the recipe tool, you can use a kitchen scale to weigh each ingredient and enter it into the recipe. Then, when you tell MFP how many servings you have, it will simply divide the total calories by the number of servings to give you the calories per serving.

A simple way to know you're getting a correct serving size is to add up the weight of all of the ingredients so that you know what the weight of the whole recipe is, then divide by the number of servings. That will tell you how much each serving should weigh.

As an example, I just made lentils. The package says that 32g of DRY lentils is one serving. So I weighed out 6 servings of dry lentils (192 g) and then added a medium onion (142 g) some spices and and water (about 600 g). After it cooked, I weighed the whole batch, and it weighed 862 g. 862g/6 servings = 143.6g per serving.