Is my weight ok?

2»

Replies

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Rammer123 wrote: »
    I'd be careful with BMI..... IMO its just really bad, probably jaded view because it's never had me in the normal range except for once where I got to a very low unhealthy body fat level.

Currently my BMI would say that I am at the exact same BMI as you at 30.1... I'm probably in the 14%-16% bf....

It may work for some or even most, but for me, I've never been able to take it seriously based off my experience.

lol i guess everyone likes BMI. Fair
  • Rammer123
    My BMI is also 30.1. I want to lose another 40-50+lbs. I’m 5’6” 185 and 55 y/o F.

TEAM 30.1!
  • Rammer123
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'd be careful with BMI..... IMO its just really bad, probably jaded view because it's never had me in the normal range except for once where I got to a very low unhealthy body fat level.

Currently my BMI would say that I am at the exact same BMI as you at 30.1... I'm probably in the 14%-16% bf....

It may work for some or even most, but for me, I've never been able to take it seriously based off my experience.

lol i guess everyone likes BMI. Fair

BMI is a range. Any range will have outliers. Honestly, any metric will have outliers, and just because outliers exist doesn't mean a metric should be thrown out.

I highly doubt there are thousands of men out there packing on muscle that causes them to be a 30+ BMI with 15% BF. Those of you who are, are outliers, not proof BMI "doesn't work". And if someone thinks they might be an outlier, they can look past BMI to the other metrics, as it seems you've done for yourself.

There are lots of guys who like to think they are all muscle under a little fat, and they'd rather assume BMI is crap and they are in excellent health than have to deal with their weight. IMHO promoting BMI will either get them started losing weight or get them to a PT and a doctor to see if they really are an outlier :smile:

100% agree. It's the best way to quickly get a general idea of where you stand.

It may also be argued that it may also be accurate for having additional unnecessary muscle mass because that in itself may cause undue stress on the body.