In your 60’s

Replies

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Hey there! Just checking in and trying to keep this thread active. What are you all up to these days? Back in the gym this morning - no pain - I'll take that any day!

Glad your not having any pain, my back and hip are still sore so I have eased off a bit but concentrating more on my food intake for a while.
  • mikebxb
    mikebxb Posts: 138 Member
    edited December 2019
    64 in NOV on the 6th I started MFP 227 then - 216 today. logging intake cutting starches, drinking brkfst protein shakes skip lunch (or light) skinless chicken, Salmon, Lean beef, Kale, Spinach, Tuna, Pork rinds instead of ruffles..target my old 34" waist again. Spiked 90 cal Selzters replace Coors Light. Freinds welcome. Belly Be GONE!!!!!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    edited December 2019
    Hey there! Just checking in and trying to keep this thread active. What are you all up to these days? Back in the gym this morning - no pain - I'll take that any day!

Nothing major, life pretty routine. No immediate family, and retired, so the holiday season isn't a big deal in my life.

Trying to get in 200,000 rowing machine meters between Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Eve (Concept 2 Holiday Challenge - at 99,000 something meters so far). The rowing meters on spin-class days are a challenge: Just more volume than I'm used to. Also, socializing a bit with friends, sloooooowly chipping away at rearranging possessions between my laundry/sewing room and a mostly-storage back bedroom (so boring to work on ;) !), starting to dive back into Winter indoor hobbies (jewelry making, other crafts, beginner banjo practice) after my usual annual period of denial.

Still in maintenance (heading into year 5 soon), still trying to super-slowly drop a few more pounds at a < 0.5 pound per week, OK with uneven rate. Last few months look like this in Libra, so it's going OK for the moment:

vao4pk06t9oe.png

I sometimes tank a bit during the coldest, darkest months (I'm in a cloudy US Great Lakes state ;) ), so we'll see if I can hold onto that trend, or at least not reverse it.

Best wishes to all!

To the new folks seeking advice: Read the "stickies", which are the things in the "Most Helpful Posts" area of each forum topic. The ones in "Getting Started" and "General Health, Fitness and Diet" topic areas are the best pickings for beginners. There's gold in those posts: All are posts by actual MFP users, nominated by other users as useful enough that they should stick around (thus "stickies") rather than rotating off the main pages as the threads get older or less active.

ETA: I turned 64 last month, if that matters, started in 2015 at class 1 obese body weight, 183 pounds at 5'5". :)
  • ehloring1
    ehloring1 Posts: 26 Member
    I will be 65 in February and retiring the end of March. Literally counting the days! I have been struggling to keep my eating under control, staying away from sweets. I have started again and just trying to improve- even if it's just one little thing - upon the day before. I think I need to plan my meals better- shop better to set myself up for success. I know what to do - I just don't know why I can't seem to get my head to follow suit.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    ehloring1 wrote: »
    I will be 65 in February and retiring the end of March. Literally counting the days! I have been struggling to keep my eating under control, staying away from sweets. I have started again and just trying to improve- even if it's just one little thing - upon the day before. I think I need to plan my meals better- shop better to set myself up for success. I know what to do - I just don't know why I can't seem to get my head to follow suit.

I retired at 60 in March 2015 and my end days dragged on endlessly. I hope your's move along much better! Once I got there, my diet and exercise got much better...until my mobility and joint health began greatly deteriorating until such time as when I finally had enough and dealt with it in 2019 by having both hips replaced. My time after has felt like starting my retirement all over again and has been so much better!! Hope the start of your retirement doesn't mirror mine. Best of luck to you!
  • ehloring1
    ehloring1 Posts: 26 Member
    I hope you are feeling renewed since your surgery! I have a lot of plans- at least the first year of my retirement- of which getting in shape is one of them. Trying to get a jump on that now. I think it's important to have goals and to keep busy- but not stressed.
    I am looking forward to not having to get up in the dark, clean the snow off my car and drive 40 minutes to work.
  • geraldaltman
    I hope you are feeling renewed since your surgery! I have a lot of plans- at least the first year of my retirement- of which getting in shape is one of them. Trying to get a jump on that now. I think it's important to have goals and to keep busy- but not stressed.
    I am looking forward to not having to get up in the dark, clean the snow off my car and drive 40 minutes to work.

I forgot to mention the one sheer beauty of retirement regardless of plans you may or may not have and that is being the sole decider of how each of your days will go. It's been perfect for me not having an other half. No doubt you would have to be inclusive if you do.
  • annliz23

Enjoy your retirement I retired 2 years ago and have never been busier with grandchildren, dogs and gardening but most I enjoy having time to do things not having to constantly hit targets it's great,
  • annliz23
    Hope you all have a lovely Christmas
  • 7sorok
    7sorok Posts: 112 Member
    Good Morning everybody and Happy New Year. I just came home from my month-long stay in Florida and happy to say that I added only 4 lbs. So, I'm getting back to my boring routine: Swimming and water aerobics (I'm joking - I love, love, love swimming). Have a healthy, happy and productive 2020. Wow! I'll be 70 in 3 months.
  • annliz23
    Finally down to the last piece of Christmas cake was yummy but I will be glad when it's gone so I can get back to a better eating pattern!
  • geraldaltman
    Here is something strange. This came about out of sheer curiosity. Last week I had a routine gastrointestinal screening that beforehand required a total "cleansing" if you will. At the tail end of the process just before going to appointment, I wondered and stepped on the scale....I was about a pound heavier than my last weigh in. Strange. I am happy to report nothing but a very small, un-alarming polyp was found and removed. Waiting for official lab report confirming it.
  • pacsnc6
    pacsnc6 Posts: 978 Member
    Here is something strange. This came about out of sheer curiosity. Last week I had a routine gastrointestinal screening that beforehand required a total "cleansing" if you will. At the tail end of the process just before going to appointment, I wondered and stepped on the scale....I was about a pound heavier than my last weigh in. Strange. I am happy to report nothing but a very small, un-alarming polyp was found and removed. Waiting for official lab report confirming it.

If I remember correctly, you have to drink lots of fluids with the prep. Could be some fluid retention that had your "weight" up. I wouldn't worry about that gain at all.
  • geraldaltman
    pacsnc6 wrote: »

If I remember correctly, you have to drink lots of fluids with the prep. Could be some fluid retention that had your "weight" up. I wouldn't worry about that gain at all.

Not worried, just thought it odd.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 975 Member
    I had the joy of having a colonoscopy a few days back and also weighed myself after the”cleansing”. I also was up a pound or so. Sort-of exasperating after going through all that! The liquid that you have to drink is full of salts, including sodium chloride, potassium chloride, and sodium bicarbonate.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 975 Member
    P.S. I’m not yet in my 60’s, but with you all in solidarity!
  • geraldaltman
    I had the joy of having a colonoscopy a few days back and also weighed myself after the”cleansing”. I also was up a pound or so. Sort-of exasperating after going through all that! The liquid that you have to drink is full of salts, including sodium chloride, potassium chloride, and sodium bicarbonate.

Again, it didn't cause me any worry or concern. I was just curious and found it odd. The big difference between this and previous tests was doctor's discretion as to prep ordered. There was no prescription required this time. The prep ordered for me was clear liquids, Ducolax and two doses of Miralax solution (full 237 gram bottle). Mind you the degree of unpleasantness to the process was unchanged 😉. Just happy to get through it and that nothing nasty found 😊
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited January 2020
    Happy 2020 yawl.... TGIF but this day is dragging on. Almost 5pm Pacific!!! Then weekend to recharge for Monday... wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited January 2020
    I have noticed we don't really see any morbidly obese people past 70, but many skinny ones. hmm