In your 60’s

1222324252628»

Replies

• bethe
    bethe Posts: 79 Member
    Hello All. I'm 60, and got back on MFP about a week ago. I dabbled with it in 2018, but it's time to get serious. I've been retired for a few years, and between reduced activity and getting hit with a couple of other life issues, I've now got a spare tire that seems to keep expanding. I want to get control of it now because it will only get harder if I wait. I've got a fitbit and bought an indoor grill/air fryer and a digital food scale recently, and have started using all those to get a better handle on eating healthy and tracking calories. I'm also walking a couple of miles just about every day. Lol - one of my big motivations besides improving my health is that I sew, and I don't like the fact I've grown out of the pattern sizes I have. I look forward to interacting with all of you.
  • Kejincolorado
    Kejincolorado Posts: 1 Member
    Hi bethe, I'm Liz. Same name, different version right? I'm 62. Also retired, since 6/2018. Also with more time on my hands and body sure isn't what it was. A bit more arthritis, aches, throw in with a glare up of some muscle pain and exercise decreases while recouperating. Lost 45# on WW starting 2016. Have kept off 30 but 15 crept back over the past 9 months. Enough! I don't want to buy larger sizes , like you don't want to buy new pattern sizes, and my tummy tire has expanded, along with hips. Grrr. Don't want to rejoin WW, was on Lose It App for 7 months or so. Decided to try MFP. Still need to track, but get tired of it sometimes.Tired of thinking about food, weighing/measuring, planning. You know? Still ate healthfully all this time, but I think my portion sizes increased hence the gain. Yeah, and some more indulging. Food Scale is a good tool. I have a Fitbit but don't like it. I use a cheap little pedometer. We have a treadmill and recumbent bike, so no real excuse not to move more, except for laziness. Damn laziness! So this is my Day 1, again. I'm Kejincolorado on here.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,170 Member
    I think it's a state of mind, being retired it's easy (for me) to sit and not do anything but I am determined to keep active for my joints they are so much better if I keep moving. I am determined to loose my belly fat and will alter my clothes to fit!
    Go for it everyone, be positive you can do it, just believe in yourself!
  • bethe
    bethe Posts: 79 Member
    Kejincolorado - Lol. This aging business is disconcerting, isn't it? I need to lose between 15 and 20 pounds before it gets away worse. While at 5'5" I'm not short, I have a very small frame - so there's some worry about the extra weight eventually causing excess damage to my spine and joints if that's not nipped in the bud asap. I've also got osteopenia, so it's sort of a balancing act where my bones are concerned. It hasn't helped that I've turned into a lazy eater (i.e. grabbing what's convenient, which usually means junk food), so that needs to be turned around also. We will have to make sure to cheer each other on.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,255 Member
    I've been "retired" since I got laid off from a very busy job in 2013. I can''t believe it's been that long!!! I thought it was 4yrs ago till I looked it up. I have been care giving for one person 2-3 times a week plus volunteering at an animal rescue that I have been doing even while I was working, plus I've always been active with my dogs, so no resting for me lol as mentioned earlier I did get another job at the animal rescue so busier still. The last 1.5yrs have been very stressful due to our dtr going through divorce & I gained 10 lbs. Things are settled down recently so today I'm going back to the gym. I really don't want to gain any more weight & I know it's due to lack of exercise. Yes I still take my dogs out every day & am active but intentional exercise makes a huge difference which I never knew before I stopped going to the gym. I don't want to eat 1200/cal/day so this is what I have to do. I'm still keeping my size 12 pants in hopes I can get into them again since now I'm size 14 & it's snug
  • 7sorok
    7sorok Posts: 112 Member
    edited March 2020
    Hi, dear people! How's everybody? It's a scary world right now!!!. So, take care of yourself and stay healthy. My Y is closed and we're cooped up inside, but the spirit is good. We had decided to stay put till Tuesday then we'll venture out to buy veggies
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    I'm currently 61 - was a fat couch potato until about 53 -- since then have been running, taking spin classes, done weight training, etc. I am active here on MFP and am currently specializing in StrongLifts 5x5 - just recently injured my left leg/hip and was on a break while that recovered and am now sitting around waiting for this virus to resolve -- if anyone is interested, I'm always looking for new friends on here.
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 249 Member
    Very strange, scary world right now. Not something we could have prepared for. Positive thinking is working and the fact that spring has sprung has helped. Wishing everyone well and sending good vibes.
  • Evamutt
    hello, this group got too quiet for me so I went over to the group called 60yrs & up, under "introduce yourself" catagory
  • Evamutt
    oops, it's called 60yrs and up
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    This group has gone sort of inactive. Like @Evamutt, I am also posting in the 60 yrs and up thread. Come on over and join the fun!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10718336/60-yrs-and-up/p1
  • annliz23
    I am on both groups, great day today managed to get 2 walks in and made my own bread looked awful but tasted ok.
    Stay safe everyone
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Ann - good job on the bread. I have had similar experiences. But everyone eats the bread, even if it looks substandard.
  • annliz23
    Ann - good job on the bread. I have had similar experiences. But everyone eats the bread, even if it looks substandard.

True it did taste nice, infact had an extra piece🙄
  • ohbeautifulqueen
    ohbeautifulqueen Posts: 8 Member
    Looks like this group is inactive. That’s okay, I’m going to continue to post my journey here regardless. I contributed to this group before COVID and enjoyed it. I found it comforting to share with others and read their stories. I will try to post daily.

So here’s the short version of my story…
    In 2018, I decided to lose 30 pounds using low carb/keto. Totally did it! By March 2019 I met my weight goal, felt great, and was looking forward to tackling exercise as the next big goal. Then COVID hit. And here I am, right back where I started, totally gained the 30 pounds back.

I’m going to try again using a modified low carb/keto diet and also throw in some walking around the neighborhood. This spare tire has got to go! I’m focusing on low carb, but trying to stay in the 1500 calorie range.

A bit about me. I’m 65 and one of the many school teachers who decided to retire June 2022. Now that I have extra time, I’m watching my almost 5yo grandson after kindergarten and nights so my daughter can work night shift RN. Plus I have time to focus on improving myself. I’m currently reading “Blue Zones” (2008, Dan Buettner) about how to live well as an *ahem* older person. It’s a very positive book about the importance of family, friends, exercise, and diet on the aging process. Okay, full disclosure: His video popped up on my Tik Tok and that got me interested.

I really should have less Tik Tok and more walking in my life! Anyway…

That’s it for today. Chat with you tomorrow :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,610 Member
    @ohbeautifulqueen, maybe switch to the other thread folks above recommended:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10718336/60-yrs-and-up#latest

That one's still active. Of course, like all long-running threads on MFP, the newer posts are at the end, on the high-numbered pages. You can skip straight there, if you like.

I'm 66, F, a participant in that thread. There are people there at all stages of weight management, from beginners to midway to maintenance. I'm one of the weight maintenance set.

Wishing you success here!