Hi! F/34/5'6" and a question about InBody Scan

Hello! My name is Mélissa. I have three kids ages 5, 3 and 1 (in a few days!) I've been low carb/very dirty keto for a while.

I qualified for a fitness challenge where you lose 22 lbs or 7% bf in 42 days.$500 deposit you get back if you succeed... I know.

I'm 34 yo, 5'6".

Started at 156 lbs on their InBody Scan (which I know now is not reliable...)

Half way through, I was at almost 5% bf lost (9lbs fat lost) but since things have slowed down. 

How do I maximize my bf % loss at weigh-in in 5 days? I will replicate my conditions from last time (9am scan, IF, coffee and water) but is there anything else I can do? If I am menstruating (which I might) I will ask to reschedule the scan.

Was it even realistic to set that objective for such a small time frame? Thank you!

0hytokxujtea.jpg

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited July 2019
    Sorry. I'm still stuck on the part where you paid $500 to enter a contest... 😑

Common sense would dictate that it's an unreasonable goal. How many people have gotten their money back?

I just did some research on the scan and the results aren't good. Inconsistencies abound and gym goers say they use the scanner for fun. I wish you well with your results. ☺
  • mrsmatthieu
    mrsmatthieu Posts: 3 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Sorry. I'm still stuck on the part where you paid $500 to enter a contest... 😑

Common sense would dictate that it's an unreasonable goal. How many people have gotten their money back?

I just did some research on the scan and the results aren't good. Inconsistencies abound and gym goers say they use the scanner for fun. I wish you well with your results. ☺

Thanks, I guess.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Hello! My name is Mélissa. I have three kids ages 5, 3 and 1 (in a few days!) I've been low carb/very dirty keto for a while.

I qualified for a fitness challenge where you lose 22 lbs or 7% bf in 42 days.$500 deposit you get back if you succeed... I know.

I'm 34 yo, 5'6".

Started at 156 lbs on their InBody Scan (which I know now is not reliable...)

Half way through, I was at almost 5% bf lost (9lbs fat lost) but since things have slowed down. 

How do I maximize my bf % loss at weigh-in in 5 days? I will replicate my conditions from last time (9am scan, IF, coffee and water) but is there anything else I can do? If I am menstruating (which I might) I will ask to reschedule the scan.

Was it even realistic to set that objective for such a small time frame? Thank you!

No, not really. I've been hearing about these contests popping up a lot, and they kind of bewilder me. They get you to pay a tremendous amount of money for a goal that's very hard to reach, and then they are supposed to "help" you reach that goal, even though it is not in their financial interest to do so. In general, be very wary of things where your success is contrary to their financial interest.

That being said, there's not much you can do to lose much body fat in 5 days, but you may be able trick the device into thinking so. Inbody machines use bioelectrical impedance as it's measuring method. This method is typically unreliable (even though inbody tends to be the most reliable of this type of measurement), in a large part because hydration levels can throw them off. Hydrating is supposed to show a lower body fat level. So if you have a couple of glasses of water before the scan, it may throw it off enough to show your percentage lower. Or it could mess with it in the other way, so no guarantees, but since muscle is a higher water percentage than fat, your hydration level is part of how they do these readings. So more hydration is supposed to cause lower fat readings. At least according to a 2008 self dot com article.

I hope it works and you beat them, and then you tell everyone else who is doing it and they beat them, and the gym stops doing these "contests"
  • mrsmatthieu
    mrsmatthieu Posts: 3 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I hope it works and you beat them, and then you tell everyone else who is doing it and they beat them, and the gym stops doing these "contests"

Thank you! Very helpful post. This is a new gym so I thought the promo was more about getting them known in the community.

Also i trusted that these certified fitness instructors knew what they were doing when i had my first scan and they confirmed i qualified (i knew i wouldn't lose 22 lbs --- but I didn't know how the bf % loss worked or how those machines worked.

Last time I drank coffee before my scan. This time I won't to get optimal hydration from water.

Thank you very much!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    I have a few tricks I used to use in the military before "weigh-in days." I can message them to you.

And still no guarantee that they will get you that big of a drop.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »

Thank you! Very helpful post. This is a new gym so I thought the promo was more about getting them known in the community.

Also i trusted that these certified fitness instructors knew what they were doing when i had my first scan and they confirmed i qualified (i knew i wouldn't lose 22 lbs --- but I didn't know how the bf % loss worked or how those machines worked.

Last time I drank coffee before my scan. This time I won't to get optimal hydration from water.

Thank you very much!

I've seen 3 seperate posts about these type of contests here in the last month. I would assume from different gym. So they seem to becoming pretty common.

Call my a cynic, but I think you "qualified" because they determined it would be fairly difficult for you to achieve. For instance, someone who is 300 pounds would have it a lot easier to lose 22 pounds in 6 weeks, especially with a water weight woosh.

It just still strikes me as really a weird way to go about it. Other lines of business have money back guarantees, where if you Don't get the desired results, they give you your money back. Here they keep your money if you do poorly but you get it back if their product does well.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited July 2019
    @mrsmatthieu

My app is a little glitchy. So, I'll just post here.

A week or two before my Air Force weigh ins, I would wrap my body in trash bags, taped but not taped to skin, throw an oversized sweat suit over trash bags, and do 30 minutes of cardio (jogging, brisk walk, or aerobics) everyday.

Now, they sale this same idea in the fitness departments, (rubber or plastic suits) to increase heat to certain areas of the body and to increase sweat.

Drink plenty of water!

Trick 2: Eat a huge, very high protein meal immediately AFTER these cardio workouts. Make and prepare meals before, so they are ready to consume as soon as workout is over. White fish are great, like baked orange roughy, or tuna salad (1 can of albacore tuna, 2-4 tbsp of olive oil mayo, 2-3 boiled eggs, lemon pepper and salt to taste), a few pieces of rotisserie chicken, or a large strip or filet steak, etc.

Eating a large high protein meal immediately after a workout extremely speeds up metabolism.