Painful rib, when should/could I get back to running?

Options
2»

Replies

• CitrusMaiden
    CitrusMaiden Posts: 60 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I've been taking a break since Monday when I noticed my throat getting sore. I do not plan on running till I'm good again... I suppose my whatever wasn't 100% healed since it's the same exact location, and I do agree that it's quite a long time for a muscle to heal, I mean, it started on July 7, so either it was a really bad tear of the muscle (which I still think it was, it was extremely painful in the beginning), or it's a rib. Whatever it was it was healing fine on it's own, even if it took time.

I'm not sure what an osteopathic physician who specializes in manipulation does (never heard of it before), I had to google it. They don't seem to get any licence in this country, and there's only one education for it (only for the "osteropathic physican", not the speciality) so I would probably have to search quite hard to just find one, but without it being included in the normal health care, I can see it being really expensive, and I can't afford that. I could probably afford one normal doctors visit, but what would a normal doctor do, how would they ever be able to tell without an xray? And even if it is a crack in a rib, they don't do anything about that. Maybe they'd prescribe me painkillers, but I don't need that, not yet anyway (please don't get worse).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are, but in the US, an osteopath is a full medical degree (a D.O.), with the same range of education as an M.D. They often practice as general practitioners, or in internal medicine, but they can have other normal medical specialties.

Besides those, a D.O. may choose to specialize in "osteopathic manipulative medicine", which focuses on the structure and function of the musculoskeletal system. They use physical techniques alongside the full regular complement of diagnostic and treatment modalities, such as scans, drugs, etc.

In my experience, they can be particularly helpful if something is out of whack with our muscles or skeletal structure, even if nothing is broken, torn, etc.

For example, a friend was in a car accident that involved a rib injury but not a break. She was routinely in pain, unable to sleep, etc. Neither her regular doctor nor a chiropractor were able to provide anything more than temporary improvements. A doctor at a university osteopathic manipulative medicine clinic was able to achieve lasting improvement for her, stating from the first visit, and the full course of treatment was a small number of visits, very successful.
  • CitrusMaiden
    CitrusMaiden Posts: 60 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I don't live in the US, but that does sound pretty neat.
    As I said earlier, and I read up some more: people can get educated for that in my country, but since they don't get a licence there's no real "competence check" for it, and I haven't managed to find anyone with that specific speciality. I found a clinic (no speciality mentioned) and the price is too high for me so it's not an option atm.
    Since it's not too strange (to me) that the muscle is aching again I'll just rest and see if it heals on its own, and hope that no other cough strikes me while it's still weakened after this one is over.
    Thank you for trying to help, the profession does sound interesting and I sure learnt something new today ^.^