not feeling comfortable in public

13»

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Honestly, when I see someone overweight out walking or jogging my thought is always "Good for him/her! They are taking care of themselves!" I doubt people spend a lot of time thinking about other people they don't know, but if they do it's not always negative.

This is always what I think. I find myself silently cheering for them.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    Two things, kinda OT:
    Macy’s has high quality workout clothes in 1X and up at a very reasonable price. They were pretty colors and fashionable styles.

And a cemetery walking story. I have a very gentle but very territorial dog who is compelled to mark something every few steps. When we took our first walk in the cemetery, he automatically began to hike his leg towards a monument before I could yank him back. (He’s not allowed to mark hydrants, flowerbeds, on sidewalks or, obviously, tombstones,)

Before I could, he got the funniest look on his face, like he’d seen something. He put his leg down, his hackles raised, and he slowly backed away from the tombstone. He never ever lifted his leg inside those gates again. I never even had to warn him, even though it was a good 3/4 miles around it. But lemme tell ya, as soon as he’d get outside the iron gates he would be dancing and gasping, frantic for the opportunity to mark something.

He saw the ghost of a dog catcher, didn't he?!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I stopped by a "walking park" this morning to check it out. A fair portion of it was alongside a very busy road. So a bunch of people got to see a big guy in clothes that don't quite fit anymore walking. I thought of this thread and wondered how many people were cheering me on... probably not many because they were commuting to work with other things on their mind.

• samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Brilliant! Well done!

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I remember feeling that way when I first started at 256lbs. I would go for walks every day at lunch and I always felt awkward and not worthy. I also felt like what I was doing was necessary, so I put on some headphones and good music or podcast and went about my business. I did invest in clothes that fit properly, even though (by my standards) they were huge, and that helped. Also some good walking shoes that showed that I meant business.

I still get imposter syndrome from time to time, even though I am a normal weight now. We really have to retrain our brains to believe we are worthy.

You are worth every bit of effort you are putting in to improve your life, so find what works and keep going. Little changes will turn into big results over time if you stick with it.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    nasr25 wrote: »
    Third day of walking today and its the first day where i really got into it and did not pay attention to those thoughts. I walked the most so far 70 minutes which is a lot for me at once. I was listening to an audio book The Outsider by Stephen king. It was a good day i really wanna go out again its only been a few hours but it was really fun but i cant cause its too hot.

Yay!!!!!!! Really proud of you. :)
  • nasr25
    nasr25 Posts: 214 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    Third day of walking today and its the first day where i really got into it and did not pay attention to those thoughts. I walked the most so far 70 minutes which is a lot for me at once. I was listening to an audio book The Outsider by Stephen king. It was a good day i really wanna go out again its only been a few hours but it was really fun but i cant cause its too hot.

Yay!!!!!!! Really proud of you. :)

Thank you .

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    It’s highly unlikely anyone is watching you. If they see you, they will be impressed that you’re walking to benefit yourself, because they’re just sitting on the couch looking out the window.
  • leeleebee88
    leeleebee88 Posts: 1 Member
    I hated biking in public. I felt like I was too big for the bike and I just felt as though people were watching me.. I decided in wed essay I was going to try out my husband's exercycle that he never uses.. I am so proud I managed 20klms on wednesday, 10klms on thursday, 20klms on friday and saturday.. I love it cz I can do it in the comfort of home and not.have to worry wether people are watching or not.. I am starting to feel better. Who knows maybe when I am feeling me comfortable in my body I will go outside and bike again.
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    First, I’ll say I have never looked at anyone getting out there and being active and judged their weight or looked down on their appearance. Doesn’t even cross my mind....I might think, man, I need to get to the gym today too, but that’s about it. I’m always proud of my fellow comrades fighting the daily fight and getting out there to stay fit—regardless of their fitness level or starting point. No matter our size, we are all in this together and doing it. Be proud of that.

We all know it’s very easy to gain weight over time and very hard to start exercise and even harder to lose weight—most people have had this experience and can relate.

If it makes you feel better—the one place I sweat like crazy is my crotch—I always look like I peed myself at the gym! I could be embarrassed by it—or I could be proud at my hard work that day. I choose to be proud of that sweat.

If anyone is judging you, it not you, it’s them...they judging you Bc they aren’t out there getting steps in or doing whatever they can to get healthy and make a lifestyle change—and that’s comes from a place of envy and cowardice.

I will agree with a fellow poster—get some decent work out clothes that you feel good in...when I suit up in my gear I feel powerful, confident, and motivated...so it really helps (plus they are designed to help prevent injury, chafing, wick sweat, and not fly up to expose your body.

I’m really proud of you for getting out there today—even though it was scary and intimidating. That’s not easy to work through and you did it anyway (I have to make my boyfriend come with me to the gym for new workouts Bc I’m so terrified of embarrassing myself—so I don’t have the courage you do). I can’t wait for you to happily start see the results of your bravery and strength!
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    One of my favourite quotes is "I stopped caring so much what other people thought of me when I realized how rarely they do". Most people are too consumed with their own insecurities to bother with yours...even if they do comment, nine times out of ten they are really talking about their own issues
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    You guys were not lying about feeling better in public I really enjoy it now and ive met a few people. I actually also seen my doctor the other day in the neighborhood and he said he would really love to start doing what i was doing cause he has noticed ive been walking everyday ( i didn't know he lived so close to me lol ). I went in to the office for a check up not too long after that and i was down 13 pounds of course some of that was water weight but still good feeling. I want to start riding a bike. I have an old one but i want a new one that can support my large body lol also i would like a bike that i can carry food comfortably any suggestions?

You are doing so well.. great job 👍