Counting macros pains!

I hope someone can help me figure this out.

Purely for simplicity, let's say:

1. I need 100 grams of protein per day.
2. I will get this protein purely from chicken breast.
3. 1 chicken breast weighing 100 grams contains 30grams of protein.

According to this, then, I need to eat a little over 3 chicken breasts in order to get my 100 grams of protein. Assuming this is all fine and dandy, here's the problem:

I have already calculated my daily 100 grams of protein intake based on my TDEE, or total CALORIES I will need per day. While that 100 grams of protein I will get from my 3+ chicken breasts alone clocks in at 400 calories, one chicken breast is more than just 120 calories of protein -- in total, it's about 26% MORE in caloric content in addition to the protein.

So how exactly do you follow the macros? Unless you had a PURE protein source, how can you measure ONLY the protein in chicken breast, let's say, and ignore the additional non-protein calories your food contains?

Replies

• gottswald
    gottswald Posts: 122 Member
    I think what you're asking for is this?
    1g carb = 4 kcal
    1g protein = 4 kcal
    1g fat = 7 kcal

There are other sources of calories though, like 1g alcohol is 7 kcal. Also, these numbers are not exact. So you can't really try to sum up the macros to determine calorie (though you could approximate, you'll notice the Quick Add function of MFP does this).

What matters for balancing energy storage (fat loss/gain) is total calorie intake minus expenditure. Your NEAT or TDEE is a formula-derived approximation of your balance. All calories count towards this balance. I've known some 'keto' people who say it doesn't matter how many calories they eat because their body can't process their intake, but I am suspect on how this actually works, how they're approximating what does and doesn't count, and if there are other long-term health impacts of 'passing' mass amounts of fat.

As for following macros, the percentages don't really matter and act instead as guides on from what sources you should to draw your energy. These are generally quite variable, impacted by health and activity, and calculated based on your current weight. So percentage of calories being 'protein' only makes sense as a general 'eyeball' guide to help a person more easily steer (follow) their macro goals and not as an exact relationship. You can choose what your overall gram goal based on weight, activity, and a bit of old fashion hand waving and shoot for that independently. I think it requires premium, but you can set your goals in MFP to grams instead of percentages if you desire. I have premium, but then just set my percentages so that they work out to be roughly what my actual gram goals for protein and fat are and leave carbs to be the remainder.

To make matters worse (or better), there is the matters like "what is a complete protein" and studies that suggest that timing (availability) of protein is important. Not just 'post-workout', but throughout the day. Others will argue against these studies I'm sure, just because I've not seen a study done doesn't mean it hasn't been obviously. A large part of it simply comes down to picking something livable and not becoming overly concerned with maximizing efficiency.

I hope that answered your question.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited July 2019
    You measure all macros at the same time, protein, carbs, and fat. I'm not understanding your question. Why would you ignore the non-protein calories? You're talking about total calories, and then want to ignore some? Doesn't make sense to me.

That was my thought, too...

I'm not sure I understand the question, but it sounds like you're ignoring the non-protein calories - why? Those things matter too, and will impact your total calories (as you're seeing).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Pre-log a normal day of eating. Look at the totals. Adjust the foods to get close to the macro totals that are your goal.

Nearly all foods are a mix of protein, fat, carbs, alcohol, all of which have calories. You just combine them in the ways you want to hit your goals. For example, if your plan comes out low on protein, reduce some food that's high in carbs or fat (whichever you have extra of), and increase some food that has relatively more protein. Pretend it's like a fun balancing game. When you get a plan that looks workable and tasty, eat those things tomorrow. Repeat.

Good news: You don't have to hit any macro goal exactly. Close is good enough, especially if some days are over, and others are under. Humans have been through millennia of natural selection to be highly adaptive omnivores. You'll be fine.

Second good news: The calorie part, not the macro part, is what matters most for weight-management success. If you feel the need to micro-manage protein because of body-composition goals, then treat your protein goal as a minimum. As long as you don't have a disease that requires limiting protein, then getting extra, within reason, is not a problem.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited July 2019
    So how exactly do you follow the macros? Unless you had a PURE protein source, how can you measure ONLY the protein in chicken breast, let's say, and ignore the additional non-protein calories your food contains?

I'm not following what you are trying to accomplish here. If just to hit your protein goal within your cals, what AnnPT77 says above.

If you are asking what else is in your chicken breast, see here: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/05062?fgcd=&manu=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=default&order=asc&qlookup=chicken+breast+meat+only+raw&ds=&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=

100 g of skinless, boneless chicken breast, raw has 120 cal and:

22.5 g of protein
    2.6 g of fat

Also, although not relevant to cals: 73.9 g of water.

All that together basically adds up to the 100 g.

If you are using packaging information, the amount of water may vary as they may have injected it with a saline solution.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I don't measure any macros. I'm interested in my calorie deficit.

What's your ultimate goal here?
  • gottswald
    gottswald Posts: 122 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »

1 g fat = 9 cal

Correct, I entered in the wrong value and can't edit.