I'm about to workout every day for about 20 days and need to know if what I'm doing is good enough..

Options
Hi! So this is my first time posting on this forum!

I have an event coming up and I'm trying to tone up in the remaining time I have until the event. I'm not great at working out and I second guess what I do a lot whenever I do workout. I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with Jillian Micheals, but I do the morning workout on her "One Week Shred" DVD and I just started the first day of her "30 Day Shred" DVD, which I do at night. I'm wondering if that's enough to see some toning results in 20 days. I was thinking about adding a walk before my nighttime workout.

Would someone mind telling me if that's a good workout routine? Or, if not, recommend what I *can* do? Thanks so much!

Replies

• ohkay32
    ohkay32 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Why only 20 days? Fitness is a lifelong endeavor.

I'll definitely be working out after the 20 days, but I only have 20 days until my event and I'm just trying to get a little advice on how to tone up a bit by then...
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Sure, that can work short-term, provided you don't get overuse injuries (common when trying to push fat loss with exercise). If you get unexplained pains, take a day off, don't work through it.

After the event, follow a better strength program, like the ones in the pinned post. :+1:
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    As per above but also you likely wouldn't see much difference in 20 days. I'm three weeks into a new program and I look exactly the same and gained a kg in water weight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "An event" doesn't help people give relevant advice.
    Social event or sporting event?

I've got a 100 mile cycling event coming up so my training is likely very different to your needs and jigging about to a DVD wouldn't be appropriate for me.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

I've got a 100 mile cycling event coming up so my training is likely very different to your needs and jigging about to a DVD wouldn't be appropriate for me.
    New video category for The SufferFest? They have strength training, yoga, and mental toughness videos now, jiggling about should totally be their next series of videos ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    ohkay32 wrote: »
    Hi! So this is my first time posting on this forum!

I have an event coming up and I'm trying to tone up in the remaining time I have until the event. I'm not great at working out and I second guess what I do a lot whenever I do workout. I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with Jillian Micheals, but I do the morning workout on her "One Week Shred" DVD and I just started the first day of her "30 Day Shred" DVD, which I do at night. I'm wondering if that's enough to see some toning results in 20 days. I was thinking about adding a walk before my nighttime workout.

Would someone mind telling me if that's a good workout routine? Or, if not, recommend what I *can* do? Thanks so much!

While it's not enough to get the look you want, it is enough to do some serious damage to your knees.

https://smile.amazon.com/product-reviews/B00127RAJY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_paging_btm_next_2?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&showViewpoints=0&pageNumber=2
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

I've got a 21 mile hike on Saturday, jigging about to DVDs is all I'm allowed to do. Builds mental toughness to keep me from quitting.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I've got a 21 mile hike on Saturday, jigging about to DVDs is all I'm allowed to do. Builds mental toughness to keep me from quitting.

@NorthCascades

I worked on the mental toughness aspect by throwing myself over the handlebars at speed 14 miles into a 100 ride.
    In retrospect I really wouldn't recommend this approach..... :smiley:
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I honestly doubt you'll see a difference in 20 days. What you could do is not doing these cardio workouts but doing proper strength training that focusses on your core. You'll not lose fat there and build muscle but you might become more aware of your core muscles and achieve a more upright posture, meaning the belly will stick out less. Also, stretching those muscles around the pelvis and thighs, those that are often shortened by people sitting too much will also help a bit to give you a better posture.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

Allowed to do by whom? Your doctor? If all you're allowed to do is "jigging about to DVD's" should you be undertaking a 21 mile hike?
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    20 days for a formally sedentary beginner, self described as "Not great at working out" = enough time to risk injury and begin recovery or at best learn how bad DOMS can be and live with the forced recovery...

OP - don't go on a crazy workout spree for an event - take it slow and learn and grow over time. The reward will be much better than what you'll get for an event while potentially hurting yourself...

Just my humble 2 cents....
  • NorthCascades
    Options

@NorthCascades

I worked on the mental toughness aspect by throwing myself over the handlebars at speed 14 miles into a 100 ride.
    In retrospect I really wouldn't recommend this approach..... :smiley:

I hope this was a long time ago and you're funny recovered. Still sorry to hear it.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

Allowed to do by whom? Your doctor? If all you're allowed to do is "jigging about to DVD's" should you be undertaking a 21 mile hike?

That was a joke, and probably not made very well. I was getting at the idea of tapering.