Doom, Despair, and Agony on Me! (aka a whine thread)

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    eliezalot wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I saw a "rain jacket" on sale when I was on vacation so I decided to buy one. I kind of expected the areas it covered to end up... you know... dry. This morning it rained most of the time I was out. I will admit that normally I come back soaked but damp is not dry.

That is an unfortunate and clammy purchase! I had one of those that I just recently donated. Now of course I still don't have a replacement, but I feel drier with the umbrella anyway...

I can hang on to this one for brief encounters with weather but with a 2 day hike coming up that, once scheduled, happens rain or shine I need a better solution. My new backpack, the zipper broke on the old one, is supposedly water proof but I think I am going to test that theory before trusting it after this morning's damp activity. I can't have my clothing, especially replacement socks, getting wet or it will add a lot of misery to the trip. There is a big difference between being wet in the vicinity of home and being wet miles from everything.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    I saw a "rain jacket" on sale when I was on vacation so I decided to buy one. I kind of expected the areas it covered to end up... you know... dry. This morning it rained most of the time I was out. I will admit that normally I come back soaked but damp is not dry.

That is an unfortunate and clammy purchase! I had one of those that I just recently donated. Now of course I still don't have a replacement, but I feel drier with the umbrella anyway...

I can hang on to this one for brief encounters with weather but with a 2 day hike coming up that, once scheduled, happens rain or shine I need a better solution. My new backpack, the zipper broke on the old one, is supposedly water proof but I think I am going to test that theory before trusting it after this morning's damp activity. I can't have my clothing, especially replacement socks, getting wet or it will add a lot of misery to the trip. There is a big difference between being wet in the vicinity of home and being wet miles from everything.

So true, especially this time of year as things are getting cooler. Nothing worse than being cold and wet out on the trail. I have an extra waterproof backpack cover that I bring if the forecast is showing rain, but the rest of the time I just bring some garbage bags in case of surprise showers. They actually work pretty well as make-shift rain gear.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    Does scotch guard really work on water proofing things? Because I found out this summer that my new hiking shoes are definitely not water proof
  • NovusDies
    Does scotch guard really work on water proofing things? Because I found out this summer that my new hiking shoes are definitely not water proof

I would assume it makes things more water resistant not water proof but I could be wrong. The hiking shoes I bought to do work around the house were not water proof either. They are better than my walking shoes which are like walking in wet sponges but they still let some water in and, as you know, some is too much on long trails. I bought a pair of hiking boots with some gore tex that I have higher hopes for.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I read somewhere that you can rub a candle on your sneakers to waterproof them....I dunno, I don’t plan on doing any hiking!...I would love a walk in the park though!.....I have noticed since I have been swimming so much that I am walking so much better and can go further....there might be hope for me yet!
  • eliezalot
    There are a number of brands out there - I think I've used Nikwax in the past. It won't make them fully waterproof, but definitely more water resistant! Probably worth a shot! In theory, if they are Goretex, they shouldn't need extra waterproofing, but it is definitely worth a shot.
  • You know, it would be really blessed nice if my ability to stand without lower back pain would keep up with my energy and drive.

As it is, I'm going to have to space work out more and add in a lot of time sitting down so that I can still walk upstairs to bed tonight, and work tomorrow. This annoys me. I want to do stuff and I want my body to not get in the way of it, and I want it now. (grumble)

Yes, I know that when I lose even 25 more pounds I will have much less pain. I know that when I lose the full hundred-some pounds that my back issues will probably largely go away, because I'll have less behind and no belly pulling on my lower abdomen and making me stand like a pregnant woman. I am very impatient today.
  • NovusDies
    You know, it would be really blessed nice if my ability to stand without lower back pain would keep up with my energy and drive.

As it is, I'm going to have to space work out more and add in a lot of time sitting down so that I can still walk upstairs to bed tonight, and work tomorrow. This annoys me. I want to do stuff and I want my body to not get in the way of it, and I want it now. (grumble)

Yes, I know that when I lose even 25 more pounds I will have much less pain. I know that when I lose the full hundred-some pounds that my back issues will probably largely go away, because I'll have less behind and no belly pulling on my lower abdomen and making me stand like a pregnant woman. I am very impatient today.

It really was "blessed nice" when I was able to stand without pain. Well... able to stand without lower back pain. Now what hurts when I stand for more than 30 minutes without moving is my ankles.

For me it was not the degree of pain that diminished as much as the amount of time I could stand before the pain really hit. At my heaviest my TTP (time to pain) may have been a minute and that is if I had not stood recently. After my first 27 pounds of loss it was noticeably longer. I never timed it but at my heaviest I might have been able to chop a single onion before sitting back down. After the small loss I could do maybe 2 onions or an onion and some other vegetable. It wasn't a huge change but it was enough for me to notice and it was my very first NSV.

I am not entirely sure when it went away completely. I know my TTP kept increasing because I could fix more and more food before sitting. Then it was just gone. After that I was able to do more because I could stand in lines. Life is severely limited if you cannot wait in a line without being in significant pain. It is remarkable that it could end up being an NSV but it was. It had larger ramifications than that but the first time I stood in line it was remarkable.
  • conniewilkins56
    Same thing here!...I love cooking but I had gotten so heavy I had to sit down a million times while preparing a meal...I still have a rollie chair in the kitchen but I only use it to reach the bottom shelves of the refrigerator or pantry....I hadn’t realized it was a NSV for a long time...
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,276 Member
    Well. Late evening video message from our CEO about the "right sizing exercise." Definitely more cuts are coming, we might know a little more this week, but still won't know everything until Oct 15th. I'm having such a hard time concentrating. No desire to actually do work. Just....waiting. Will I have a job in 2 weeks? Who can say?
    "RIGHT SIZING EXERCISE" Is this meant as a euphemism for downsizing or layoffs? I'm super annoyed by that, if I interpreted it correctly. Just call it what it is.

Hoping for the best for your job situation!

It's super sweet that you have a kitty who helps you with anxiety! I heard some radio announcers talking this morning and they said that 30 minutes a day watching cute animal videos reduces anxiety by a lot. :)
  • eliezalot
    Well. Late evening video message from our CEO about the "right sizing exercise." Definitely more cuts are coming, we might know a little more this week, but still won't know everything until Oct 15th. I'm having such a hard time concentrating. No desire to actually do work. Just....waiting. Will I have a job in 2 weeks? Who can say?
    "RIGHT SIZING EXERCISE" Is this meant as a euphemism for downsizing or layoffs? I'm super annoyed by that, if I interpreted it correctly. Just call it what it is.

Hoping for the best for your job situation!

It's super sweet that you have a kitty who helps you with anxiety! I heard some radio announcers talking this morning and they said that 30 minutes a day watching cute animal videos reduces anxiety by a lot. :)

RIGHT?? It absolutely is their awful euphemism for downsizing. They are trying to frame it as beneficial for our organization's strategy, rather than just saying "we ran out of money because covid." The first round of layoffs are effective as of October 1st (the day after our PPP grant expires lol). I find your annoyance at their corporate jargon reassuring and strangely uplifting :lol:

Yeah, my little gray kitty is pretty darn sweet when he isn't trying to bite my eyeball to wake me up for breakfast! My sweet little baby angel demon spawn. I love him so much. I definitely appreciate that I live with 3 cute animals 24/7. God knows how bad my anxiety would be without them lolol! Maybe time to introduce more cute animal time into my life. (Or get another cat?)

Thanks for your kind thoughts. Onward to a good weekend.
  • NovusDies
    The lightning that damage our property in June hit one of our very tall and beautiful pine trees. I had hoped it would just go into shock and come back around but within about 6 weeks it was pretty obvious it was dead standing. I knew it would be expensive and I knew it would probably cost close to 2k to have it done plus the other tree work we have been putting off until we had enough to justify a visit BUT THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT LESS SHOCKING. $1700 Gasp.
  • conniewilkins56
    The lightning that damage our property in June hit one of our very tall and beautiful pine trees. I had hoped it would just go into shock and come back around but within about 6 weeks it was pretty obvious it was dead standing. I knew it would be expensive and I knew it would probably cost close to 2k to have it done plus the other tree work we have been putting off until we had enough to justify a visit BUT THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT LESS SHOCKING. $1700 Gasp.

That’s awful...I always think of the fun stuff you could have done with that money!...can you use the wood for firewood?
  • What I'm hoping re the lower back pain is that as I reduce the belly hanging off the lower front and the excess junk in the trunk, I won't have such a pronounced lordosis. As my boyfriend had Scheurmann's disease and now has kyphosis due to that, and Girlfriend has ruptured disks at the L4/L5 and L5/S1, it would be nice if one of us could have a good back.
  • NovusDies

That’s awful...I always think of the fun stuff you could have done with that money!...can you use the wood for firewood?

Pine generally does not make good firewood. You really don't burn soft wood and it rots very quickly so if you bring a log into your home you are likely bringing a colony of bugs in with it. One of my neighbors wants some logs for her goats to play on. I told her they don't do well sitting on the ground but she wants them anyway.
  • eliezalot
    How many calories do you burn from hiccupping for 2 hours and counting? :neutral:
  • eliezalot
    How many calories do you burn from hiccupping for 2 hours and counting? :neutral:

3 hours. Turns out a ribeye cures hiccups nicely!
  • eliezalot wrote: »

3 hours. Turns out a ribeye cures hiccups nicely!

I'll remember that. Pity you can't "like" and "hug" both.