Doom, Despair, and Agony on Me! (aka a whine thread)

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    I’ve been in a big slump. My head has been killing me. I’m getting pathetic with feeling sorry for myself. Today is much better!!

Glad to hear you're feeling better today. Is the headache stress related?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,585 Member
    eliezalot wrote: »
    Grump grump grump.

This cholesterol thing is getting to me. The information my doctor gave me suggests limiting saturated fat to just 5-6% of my total calories. Doing the math....1480*.06=88.8 calories from saturated fat per day. And with 9 calories per gram of fat, that allows me about 9.8 grams of saturated fat per day.

Today, I'll be about 300 calories below my deficit. I was super excited to fill those calories with a nice treat. Cheese, chocolate, a cookie, etc... But nope. That would put me over my saturated fat goal for the day. In fact, I'm already 2 grams over it. So I can have...what. Fruit? A vegetable? I was so excited to treat myself. It is treats like this that have made weight loss sustainable for me. If I had to snack on carrot sticks, I would have given it up long ago.

I'll feel better after I meet with the cardiologist and see what the plan is. Maybe continued weight loss and exercise will be enough. If I do have to continue with the dietary adjustments, I'm going to ask for a referral to a RD. How often can I go over and stay healthy? Can I ever eat pizza or cake again?? I WANT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES.

/end rant/

double check with cardiologist/dietician/relevant authority specifically on cocoa saturated fat. I believe that while coconut is NOT considered good saturated in spite of the various internet promos, I recall somewhere reading something about cocoa being a "good" saturated... or maybe I like chocolate too much and that is selective memory in action!!!
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Grump grump grump.

This cholesterol thing is getting to me. The information my doctor gave me suggests limiting saturated fat to just 5-6% of my total calories. Doing the math....1480*.06=88.8 calories from saturated fat per day. And with 9 calories per gram of fat, that allows me about 9.8 grams of saturated fat per day.

Today, I'll be about 300 calories below my deficit. I was super excited to fill those calories with a nice treat. Cheese, chocolate, a cookie, etc... But nope. That would put me over my saturated fat goal for the day. In fact, I'm already 2 grams over it. So I can have...what. Fruit? A vegetable? I was so excited to treat myself. It is treats like this that have made weight loss sustainable for me. If I had to snack on carrot sticks, I would have given it up long ago.

I'll feel better after I meet with the cardiologist and see what the plan is. Maybe continued weight loss and exercise will be enough. If I do have to continue with the dietary adjustments, I'm going to ask for a referral to a RD. How often can I go over and stay healthy? Can I ever eat pizza or cake again?? I WANT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES.

/end rant/

double check with cardiologist/dietician/relevant authority specifically on cocoa saturated fat. I believe that while coconut is NOT considered good saturated in spite of the various internet promos, I recall somewhere reading something about cocoa being a "good" saturated... or maybe I like chocolate too much and that is selective memory in action!!!

We're in the clear!! Cleveland Clinic agrees! Now I'll just pretend that applies to milk chocolate, and go on my merry way.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Grump grump grump.

/end rant/

How long before you meet with the cardiologist? If it is happening sometime soon I would wait before making radical dietary changes. My cardiologist said that my primary had expectations that were too aggressive and unnecessary. Your primary only has the data and what is normally done in those situations. The cardiologist evaluates it based on your current heart health and your level of risk.
  • eliezalot
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Grump grump grump.

/end rant/

How long before you meet with the cardiologist? If it is happening sometime soon I would wait before making radical dietary changes. My cardiologist said that my primary had expectations that were too aggressive and unnecessary. Your primary only has the data and what is normally done in those situations. The cardiologist evaluates it based on your current heart health and your level of risk.

Oh that is good to know. I honestly have no idea what to expect at the cardiologist, but this makes sense. My appointment is in 2 weeks, so really not that long. I'll stop fretting about my saturated fat intake so much. 10 grams is surprisingly hard for me to hit....and I think I already eat pretty well!
  • PAV8888
    edited May 2021
    I'll stop fretting about my saturated fat intake so much. 10 grams is surprisingly hard for me to hit....and I think I already eat pretty well!

The American Heart Association recommends "aiming for a dietary pattern that achieves 5% to 6% of calories from saturated fat. For example, if you need about 2,000 calories a day, no more than 120 of them should come from saturated fat. That’s about 13 grams of saturated fat per day."

Err, yes.... :disappointed:

I, personally, need a reset on this issue: I just did a cronometer export of the past six months... and... drumroll... on an average intake of 2996 I should be getting about 18g of saturated fat maximum... 42.57g doesn't sound like a stellar percentage of 18g... and 1.2g of Trans-Fats sounds even less good... yikes!

<hides in shame>
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    I know my fat intake is high. My response to someone who would tell me to reduce it is, "Well, when I can eat vegetables instead of chips with my burger, I'll do so."
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited June 2021
    @eliezalot Less than 10 grams of saturated fat frankly sounds too aggressive. I get an average of 15+ for the last 6 months and I eat...too clean for my own sake.

GTchq9O.png

Can't really see how to minimize this more without nuking low fat cheese/milk/yogurt, eggs or olive oil from the diet altogether (I run Mediterranean style).

CPEmV0z.png
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    Grump grump grump.

/end rant/

I totally feel you! I am dealing with the exact same thing. My doctor finally sent me my results and honestly they are not as bad as I thought they would be. TRIG and overall cholesterol are borderline high. HDL is low, but not extremely so (normal is over 40 and I am at 35). My LDL is also high by like 5 points as well. So not what it should be, but not OMG I am gonna die right now bad.

While I am trying to decrease my saturated fats, it is not my main focus. Weight loss is focus #1 because I KNOW that works to lower my cholesterol (has helped in the past). I am trying to increase my produce intake which will help increase my fiber as well. I am increasing my Omega 3 fatty acids with more fatty fish and a supplement. I am also trying to exercise more, even if it is only a 20 minute walk or some yoga (some exercises seem to cause problems with my pelvic floor problems ugh).

However, there are some things I will not give up. You can take my cheese from my hands when I am dead but not a minute before. I also won't go vegetarian because of my medical food restrictions making it real hard to get protein without meat. Now, will I eat less red meat and incorporate more meat free meals? Yes.

In my past my doctors have said it is about small changes as long as you are not in immediate danger. I'm not in immediate danger at this time, so I am not going to cut everything out of my life. They will become occasional treats instead, but I will still have them.
  • eliezalot
    Met with the cardiologist today - she is great. Very thorough and reassuring.

Basically it sounds like my high LDL is likely genetic, but not necessarily familial. My mom, who is in her late 60's, just went on cholesterol medication this year. I'm not sure about my dad's cholesterol though.

I won't go on medication quite yet (as we're planning on trying to get pregnant early next year, and would have to go off it again anyway). In every other way I'm super healthy. They did an EKG which was fine, and I will have a CT scan to look for plaque buildup (which we assume will be negative). I'm going to try some additional dietary changes over the next few months, and will have my lipids re-checked in 6 months.

The cardiologist suggested limited saturated fats of course and further cutting back on meats (eating plant based 4-5 days a week). Also...she wants me to cut back on eggs to only once or twice a week :bawling: Hard boiled eggs for breakfast are my FAVORITE thing. I literally have it every day. Until now, lol. Time to switch to breakfast beans I guess, lol!

I just messaged the cardiologist and asked hr for a referral to an RD. Protein really helps fill me up, and I want to make sure I'm getting enough if I go even more plant based. (We already eat vegetarian at least a few times a week).

So the good news is at least I'm healthy, I'm not going to keel over any time soon, but some of the LDL might just be out of my control.
  • PAV8888
    Ugh Connie 🥺
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Ugh Connie 🥺

UGH is right!…thank God they clear up pretty good after the initial outbreak…mine are still in the pre stage today and no visible lesions….I have no scars from them and my nose and eye area are the only place I get outbreaks….I have been to so many doctors for it since I was 19…. It is some kind of a Herpes virus ( not THAT kind lol ) it’s like cold sores and can come back many times….I just feel so tired and weak today….but it will go away!
  • pdd1216
    pdd1216 Posts: 319 Member
    Connie ....noooooooooooo! :s
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    pdd1216 wrote: »
    Connie ....noooooooooooo! :s

It’s ok….miserable but not killing me!….I have to keep going or I will have a “ poor me “ day!