Less Alcohol - AUGUST 2019 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Womona wrote: »

It doesn’t happen overnight, so please don’t beat yourself up! The fact that you have more AF days than not is huge! On the days you drink, try to reduce the amount by just one. That becomes easy. Then reduce by two.

If you haven’t tried Annie Grace’s Alcohol Experiment, I recommend it. I did not go 30 days without a drink, but I sure learned a lot. Plus it helped with the transition to being a daily drinker to only a couple of times per week.

Where do I find Annie Grave's experiment? Reducing the amount I drink by one, I don't think is possible for me. Once I drink one, I drink every last drop of alcohol in the house....

If you Google “The Alcohol Experiment” she should pop right up. She has a book too,the same name, but I really liked the daily videos (approx 10-20 mins. long). It’s really eye opening. So it’s free, you have these videos sent to your email every morning.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,553 Member
    Options
    I am going to strive for the same as usual, 4-5 AF days per week. I will post daily to keep me accountable.
    I was pleased with my 20 AF days for July.

August 01 - AF - I didn't want to be, but have to start the month off right. Many things planned for the weekend and there will be drinks involved. I will have to be strategic so that I don't have drinks 2 days in a row.
    August 02 - AF - Again, didn't want to be. It is a long weekend with lots going on here in British Columbia. I want to not look terrible tomorrow, so no booze for me tonight.
    August 03 - 3 drinks.
    August 04 - AF
    August 05 - AF - Going away Wednesday or Thursday for 5 or 6 days to a riverfront bluesfest in Montana, where the drinks are so much cheaper than Canada and I will have no responsibilities. I may have drinks, but will try to not have them 2 days in a row. Planning AF for tomorrow.
    August 06 - 2 1/2 drinks. Kind of different that I couldn't finish my 3rd drink, I put it in the freezer. Tuesdays are the days that I sort of have scheduled to have a few drinks if I want them. Not sure what I was thinking when I said that I planned AF for a Tuesday. All good.
    August 07 - AF
    August 08 - 2 drinks (8oz red wine). It was lovely after a fantastic active day.
    August 09 - 1 beer, 1 wine at the festival
    August 10 - 2 wine
    August 11 - 3 drinks - so much for not doing 2 days in a row. I will get back on track.
    August 12 - AF - Back home and of course 3 pounds heavier. For sure I danced and walked lots, so it could have been 6 pounds. Getting on track.
    August 13 - AF - Tuesday, my sort of planned day to have a few drinks, but seeing as I had drinks 4 days in a row on my holiday I needed to rack up another AF day. In fact I will need to be AF tomorrow too if I want to see 4AF days per week at this juncture.
    August 14 - AF - Just squeaked to my 4AF days per week. Of course 5 would have been better, but the 4 days in a row of drinks put me behind. I don't think that I have had 4 days in a row of drinks since October. Playing catch up now.
    August 15 - AF - I didn't want to be AF today, but I had to make up for the holiday drinks still.
    August 16 - 3 drinks. Not planned. 4 AF days in a row prior, but I was feeling some anxiety, missed my Tuesday opportunity to have drinks because I was trying to make up for my holiday. I actually wanted to be fresh and un-bloated for tomorrow's multi-cultural festival in the park. Drank a bunch of water after, hoping to lessen the tomorrow effects of having drinks tonight. I don't think that it was self-sabotage. 4AF days in a row...might be too many for me still. Working on it...
    August 17 - AF - planned wine with a gf tomorrow.
    August 18 - 3 drinks - running out of time to rack up a bunch of AF days - aiming for at least 7 more.
    August 19 - AF
    August 20 - 3 drinks
    August 21 - AF
    August 22 - AF - Today was a tough one to be AF. I kept having to come up with reasons not to have drinks. I came on to this thread a few times for inspiration. Thank you @MissMay for coming up with something almost every day to get us engaged. You are a peach!!
    August 23 - 3 drinks
    August 24 - AF

14AF days out of 24 days so far.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    @yotetrapper I heard a comedian (actually) say that if you can't moderate then you need to eliminate. So instead of trying to have only 1 or 2 drinks on a given day, just add in some AF days.
    I know for myself that when I am permitting myself drink days that I will have 3, not 1. My aim is to have AF days, which at the beginning of this journey (November 2018) were non-existent.
    So it sounds like you are planning on being AF every day except for Saturdays. Lofty goal, but kudos!
    I am kind of averaging every second day at this point. We are all cutting down on the booze, and motivating each other by participating in this forum.
    Please keep checking in : - )
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    I am going to strive for the same as usual, 4-5 AF days per week. I will post daily to keep me accountable.

August 01 - AF - I didn't want to be, but have to start the month off right. Many things planned for the weekend and there will be drinks involved. I will have to be strategic so that I don't have drinks 2 days in a row.
    August 02 - AF - Again, didn't want to be. It is a long weekend with lots going on here in British Columbia. I want to not look terrible tomorrow, so no booze for me tonight.
    August 03 - 3 drinks.
    August 04 - AF
    August 05 - AF - Going away Wednesday or Thursday for 5 or 6 days to a riverfront bluesfest in Montana, where the drinks are so much cheaper than Canada and I will have no responsibilities. I may have drinks, but will try to not have them 2 days in a row. Planning AF for tomorrow.
    August 06 - 2 1/2 drinks. Kind of different that I couldn't finish my 3rd drink, I put it in the freezer. Tuesdays are the days that I sort of have scheduled to have a few drinks if I want them. Not sure what I was thinking when I said that I planned AF for a Tuesday. All good.
    August 07 - AF
    August 08 - 2 drinks (8oz red wine). It was lovely after a fantastic active day.
    August 10 - 2 wine
    August 11 - 3 drinks - so much for not doing 2 days in a row. I will get back on track.
    August 12 - AF - Back home and of course 3 pounds heavier. For sure I danced and walked lots, so it could have been 6 pounds. Getting on track.
    August 13 - AF - Tuesday, my sort of planned day to have a few drinks, but seeing as I had drinks 4 days in a row on my holiday I needed to rack up another AF day. In fact I will need to be AF tomorrow too if I want to see 4AF days per week at this juncture.
    August 14 - AF - Just squeaked to my 4AF days per week. Of course 5 would have been better, but the 4 days in a row of drinks put me behind. I don't think that I have had 4 days in a row of drinks since October. Playing catch up now.
    August 15 - AF - I didn't want to be AF today, but I had to make up for the holiday drinks still.
    August 16 - 3 drinks. Not planned. 4 AF days in a row prior, but I was feeling some anxiety, missed my Tuesday opportunity to have drinks because I was trying to make up for my holiday. I actually wanted to be fresh and un-bloated for tomorrow's multi-cultural festival in the park. Drank a bunch of water after, hoping to lessen the tomorrow effects of having drinks tonight. I don't think that it was self-sabotage. 4AF days in a row...might be too many for me still. Working on it...
    August 18 - 3 drinks - running out of time to rack up a bunch of AF days - aiming for at least 7 more.
    August 19 - AF
    August 20 - 3 drinks
    August 21 - AF
    August 22 - AF - Today was a tough one to be AF. I kept having to come up with reasons not to have drinks. I came on to this thread a few times for inspiration. Thank you @MissMay for coming up with something almost every day to get us engaged. You are a peach!!
    August 23 - 3 drinks
    August 24 - AF
    August 25 - 3 drinks. I am getting to the place where I am conscious of what I have going on the next day and deciding to have drinks or not have drinks based on that (bloated, groggy, stupid etc.). I didn't used to think about that, so I feel like I am making a tiny bit of progress. Not a stellar month so far by a long shot, but some AF days are better than no AF days. Really happy to have a place of accountability to turn to where others are trying to do the same.

14AF days out of 25 days so far.
  • yotetrapper
    yotetrapper Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    @yotetrapper I heard a comedian (actually) say that if you can't moderate then you need to eliminate. So instead of trying to have only 1 or 2 drinks on a given day, just add in some AF days.
    I know for myself that when I am permitting myself drink days that I will have 3, not 1. My aim is to have AF days, which at the beginning of this journey (November 2018) were non-existent.
    So it sounds like you are planning on being AF every day except for Saturdays. Lofty goal, but kudos!
    I am kind of averaging every second day at this point. We are all cutting down on the booze, and motivating each other by participating in this forum.
    Please keep checking in : - )

It is a lofty goal. One I doubt I'll make but if I can make the next month with only 2-3 slip ups it would still be an improvement. I'm tied with you for this month, lol... 14/25. I was also a daily drinker, for quite a few years. I have at times though been able to go a week at a time without a drink so I don't think it's an impossible goal. Let's just hope September ends up being less stressful than August was.
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Positive Daily Intention: I allow myself to be successful and I deserve to succeed. Nobody is more important in my life than me. I choose to stop/reduce drinking because alcohol is a carcinogen and I don't want carcinogens in my body. I am at high risk for cancer and choose to do everything I can to make myself as healthy as possible. I look forward to AF days being as enjoyable as possible.

Thurs 8/22- enjoyed AF day with Halo ice cream treat!
    Friday 8/23- enjoyed AF day, popcorn and travel shows at home
    Sat 8/24-planned drinking day, 1.5 servings at lunch, which caused me to go into "wine brain mode" leading me to make a poor decision for dinner (3.5 serving at dinner) (yep I drank the equivalent of a whole bottle white wine); woke up thinking I don't want to repeat this next wk so I will buy 2 little baby bottles and set that limit
    Sun 8/25 -enjoyed AF day, went out for gelato, espresso and creme brulee flavors were divine (did not think of drinking at all, a first!!)
    Mon 8/26-planned AF day
    Tues 8/27-planned AF day
    Wed 8/28-planned AF day
    Thurs 8/29-planned AF day
    Fri 8/30-planned AF day

I AM going to keep the AF streak going till Saturday. I will do this by allowing myself to succeed, squash any self-doubt talk and keep up my positive self-talk. Oh and stock up on Diet Hansen's soda. I'll need lots.
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all, I'll check it out. I've decided my goal for September is to only drink on Saturday nights. I'm sure I'll have some slip ups but going to work really hard to try and reach that milestone.

That's awesome and you're inspiring me as well. I have a similar goal. I believe it really can be done....
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options

August 03 - 3 drinks.
    August 04 - AF
    August 07 - AF
    August 10 - 2 wine
    August 19 - AF
    August 20 - 3 drinks
    August 21 - AF
    August 23 - 3 drinks
    August 24 - AF
    August 25 - 3 drinks. I am getting to the place where I am conscious of what I have going on the next day and deciding to have drinks or not have drinks based on that (bloated, groggy, stupid etc.). I didn't used to think about that, so I feel like I am making a tiny bit of progress. Not a stellar month so far by a long shot, but some AF days are better than no AF days. Really happy to have a place of accountability to turn to where others are trying to do the same.
    August 26 - AF - 2 more days until the 4 week mark - it definitely won't be 5AF days per week this month, but all good.

15AF days out of 26 days so far.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    Options
    @dawnbgethealthy wrote:
    August 26 - AF - 2 more days until the 4 week mark - it definitely won't be 5AF days per week this month, but all good.

HUGE HUGE realization as soon as you said " I didn't USED to think about that". You have made more than a tiny bit of progress.
    We can all see it from your monthly posting chart.
    😊
  • MissMay
    Options
    I just realized that of the past 6 days, I've been AF for 5. So far, so good!

@globalhiker I am enjoying your mantras for success and importance for thyself. Congrats on the 5 day streak. Thanks for contributing to this group.
  • MissMay
    edited August 2019
    Options
    New September thread is created for our start on Sunday.
  • MissMay
    Options
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    Somehow my post didn't enter from yesterday
    Tuesday August 27 - AF

16AF days out of 27
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Just marked off day 15 AF on my monthly tally. That’s compared to 13 days with drinks this month. First time I’ve had a positive Delta In... I couldn’t tell you. Likely won’t end that way as I have book club and then headed out of town for a camping trip this weekend but even with 15 today out of 31 in August that’s my highest AF count since JULY 2018! It’s also more than my last two months combined...

Nothing magical just a quieter month socially and not really tempted to drink anymore other than weekends, social events and work trips (none of those this month). Looking forward to similar in September.

• dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    Tuesday August 27 - AF
    Aug 28 - 3 drinks - big long weekend coming up for everyone in North America. Strategically not wanting to have drinks Thursday prior so that my clothes look better (vain) and so that I have energy to enjoy all of the music and festivities. Beginning to choose my drinks days based on what I have coming up.

16AF days out of 28