August 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Great news on the job @PastorVincent ! That must be a relief.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Congrats on the job @PastorVincent !

8/19: PM 3mi easy around a large pond track (aka humidity bomb). 95f

August total: 86.8mi
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,654 Member
    Thanks @eleanorhawkins, @Ringbearer2 and @ROBOTFOOD
    Great news on the job @PastorVincent ! That must be a relief.

It is from a financial aspect, but I really am no good at starting in new social environments. In that respect, I am really not looking forward to it, but I like having money for things like food and shelter, so I will overcome! :smile:

Can totally understand that, but yeah, things like food and shelter (not to mention race fees and running shoes) are kinda nice to have and make the peopling thing worth it ;-)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    congratulations @PastorVincent
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    I haven’t quite worked out a shoe rotation strategy. Since I’m still fairly new to running I’m interested in hearing shoe strategies from all of you.

So this is going to get you very varied answers:

1) Some people own more than one pair of active running shoes.. say 3 or 4 - all different brands/styles. They buy them staggered so they wear out at different times, and they rotate them through each run. Then when one wears out, they replace it with a new pair putting it in rotation with the others. The argument in favor of this is that your foot gets used to just 1 exact pair it can develop muscle weaknesses. I do not think this is true, but I have no proof.

2) Some people have just targeted pairs (one for street, one for the trail, etc) (or just 1 pair) and replace them every X number of miles (whatever the manufacturer claims for that shoe) - regardless if they seem like they need it or not. The argument here is that new shoes are cheaper than weeks of therapy if you get hurt from running on bad shoes.

3) Some people have just targeted pairs (one for street, one for the trail, etc) (or just 1 pair) and replace them when they think they are worn out. The argument here is that shoe manufacturers have a vested interest in you replacing your shoes sooner than they are needed.

4) Some people are shoe hoarders(or collectors). This category is self-explanatory. :smiley:

Those are the main groups, and of course, there is mix/match/variations on those schemes. In the end, I always advise you to experiment and do what works best for you.

Which category do you fall into?

What Category do I fall into? 1, 2 and maybe partially 4. Since it's a 3hr drive to the closest sporting store I always have a few pairs in reserve. Also since manufactures change the models I have found some shoes no longer work for me. Saucony Peregrine 4 was a great shoe for me, 7 & 8's they seem to have made a small change in the heel cup and now they are not as good a fit - on runs over 15k I will get hot spots on my heel.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    8-1 3.5k slow
    8-2 3.5k easy
    8-3 4k slow
    8-4 7k easy
    8-5 rest
    8-6 5k easy
    8-7 7k slow
    8-8 7k slow
    8-9 7k easy
    8-10 7k easy
    8-11 7k easy
    8-12 rest
    8-13 7k easy
    8-14 7k slow
    8-15 rest
    8-16 7k easy
    8-17 REST
    8-18 7k moderate
    8-18 rest
    8-19 7k easy

August Total: 93k
    August Goal: 150k

January Total: 131k
    February Total: 159.5k
    March Total: 183k
    April Total: 126k
    May Total: 128k
    June Total: 161.5k
    July Total: 151k

Monthly average: 148.5k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen

Warm and humid today, with the usual assortment of niggles to deal with. Nothing really out of the ordinary.

Congratulations on your new employment, @PastorVincent!!!

2019 Races:

4-13 Shine the Light 5K - 31:12 chip time; First Place male 65 and older
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K - 31:34 chip time; 31/77 overall; second male 65 and older (no official category)
    7-27 Solon Home Days 5K - 31:11 chip time; 95/141 overall; 4/6 age group (male)
    8-31 Race for Freedom 5k
    9-14 Gift of Life 5k
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    8/1-0
    8/2-0
    8/3-10
    8/4 – 2
    8/5 - 0
    8/6 - 0
    8/7 – 3
    8/8 - 0
    8/9 – 5
    8/10 – 5
    8/11 - 0
    8/12 - 3
    8/13 - 0
    8/14 - 4
    8/15 - 0
    8/16 - 4
    8/17 - 2
    8/18 - 0
    8/19 -0
    8/20 - 5

43 of 80 miles

Ugh behind on my miles!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Trying to catch up on reading.

@Avidkeo yeah for trail running!! You’ll get hooked.

@Squish815 I’m probably late with words of wisdom on your longest run before you HM, but I usually do mine 2 weeks before and do a slow dropping taper for the next 10 days to 2 weeks. It is what works for me so your mileage may vary (pun intended). My reason is I like to give myself to fully recovery and if I do something stupid to hurt myself I have time to fully recover ha ha. Also if I run like crap I can try it again so I don’t have a defected feeling on race day. It’s all mind games with me. I do advise you stay off the treadmill for the weeks leading up, know your road pace and how it feels.

Okay my work computer is losing its mind so I’ll have to try and catchup at home later.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,654 Member
    @kgirlhart you know, I had forgotten about chases! I turned them off when I started running alone in the dark cause they were scaring the bejayzuz outta me lol!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,968 Member
    @eleanorhawkins It seems like every time I play and run either through the cemetery or just on the road along side the cemetery I have zombie chases. I don't ever run that way when it is dark though. I have had a time or two early in the morning especially when it is cloudy that they do kind of give me the willies.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I always have chases off, but maybe should try again. They are just so damn inconvenient. I'll have to wait for traffic and then start getting chased, drop all of sports bras and pot plants; then I'm upset. :(
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,968 Member
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner Yeah, they can be inconvenient. I always hate when I get one when I have barely started and am not really warmed up yet. Or I've finished my run and I'm stopping my watch and digging for my phone to turn it off.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    ariceroni wrote: »
    Final time was 40:40, 9th female overall and 1st in my age group. I was really hoping to finish under 40 minutes, but given the challenging conditions I will take it. Also, this was the first race since moving to MD that I haven't had to walk at all (the hills are killing me!) so that's a win!

Well done! Congrats!

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,430 Member
    @ariceroni congrats on the AG win!