August 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,957 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @ariceroni Congrats on your AG win! I wish I could look that good at the end of a race!

@autumnblade75 Dealerships are notorious for wanting to correct things that don't need to be done and overcharging for repairs. Glad your brakes were okay.

@T1DCarnivoreRunner Hope you got your run in and it was cooler. Those temps are crazy!
  • Lazy_Bones_85
    Lazy_Bones_85 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It's hot outside now. I don't normally eat before running, but I'm going to eat now and delay tonight's run until it cools down... maybe after dark. There is supposed to be thunderstorms too, and will cool fast then. Hopefully I won't just skip it.

Next marathon is 9/1 and I can't afford to skip any runs at this point.

ffe118f1842e9674c94e674ae396b1aa.png

What da heck?!?!? 😡 That is just awful!!! I hope your run goes well for you!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I decided to push my pace a tiny bit tonight to see if I’d built up enough endurance that I wouldn’t wear out before the end of my training run. I ended up with my longest run ever. 4.84 miles. I know many of you are more seasoned and running greater distances, but I’m beginning to feel less like a beginner runner. When does a person stop being a beginner anyway? Having just started in February I know I’m still fairly new. I guess I need to pick out a race at some point too. I’m not sure where to begin on picking a good one. Or is it just a matter of finding a day on the calendar and just doing it instead of finding the “right race”?

Google races in your area and you should find a listing, or a couple of listings, of possible races. We mainly look at racesonline.com for our area. I picked my first one because it was at a park where my husband and I ran anyway, for a cause we were familiar with.

In some ways I think we are all beginners! I’m coming up on my third year running and still have so much I haven’t done yet.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I still need to check what they've inflated the tires to - anyone want to bet it's higher than the plate on the door says? I looked up the part that's leaking oil - apparently, the leaked oil can run down into the spark plugs and foul the engine. I might actually care to have that fixed, at some point. But I can definitely do better than their price for wipers. If only the independent mechanics in this area could do something with this car. It seems like every problem turns out to be one that they haven't got the right diagnostic tools for, and they recommend taking it to the dealer.
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    @ariceroni , I’m not sure where you are in MD but I’m originally from Bethesda and the BCC YMCA does a Turkey Chase every Thanksgiving which is a lot of fun. You might want to check it out.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I decided to push my pace a tiny bit tonight to see if I’d built up enough endurance that I wouldn’t wear out before the end of my training run. I ended up with my longest run ever. 4.84 miles. I know many of you are more seasoned and running greater distances, but I’m beginning to feel less like a beginner runner. When does a person stop being a beginner anyway? Having just started in February I know I’m still fairly new. I guess I need to pick out a race at some point too. I’m not sure where to begin on picking a good one. Or is it just a matter of finding a day on the calendar and just doing it instead of finding the “right race”?

Congrats! Well done!

As for finding races, make sure the ones you are looking at are popular and well attended. Are you connected to a local running club? They would know the best local races. The thing you want to avoid are poorly organized races and that might be difficult to tell from just a web page. Employees at a local running shoe store often know races in the area too.

Given the distances that you are running, I suspect you could handle a 10k race, but since you have not done a race yet I would suggest you stick with a 5k for now.
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Sunny and fairly hot (by London standards!) this morning. But I enjoyed my run and am noticing improvements on the hilly sections which is encouraging. Pondering booking a couple more races before December when I’ll have to take time out for surgery.

8/2: 3.1m
    8/4: 13.2m (race, 2hr:12m)
    8/7: 6.1m
    8/11: 7.5m
    8/14: 7.3m
    8/16: 5.6m
    8/19: 10.1m
    8/21: 8.1m

61m of 70m
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    8-1 3.5k slow
    8-2 3.5k easy
    8-3 4k slow
    8-4 7k easy
    8-5 rest
    8-6 5k easy
    8-7 7k slow
    8-8 7k slow
    8-9 7k easy
    8-10 7k easy
    8-11 7k easy
    8-12 rest
    8-13 7k easy
    8-14 7k slow
    8-15 rest
    8-16 7k easy
    8-17 REST
    8-18 7k moderate
    8-19 rest
    8-20 7k easy
    8-21 7k moderate

August Total: 100k
    August Goal: 150k

January Total: 131k
    February Total: 159.5k
    March Total: 183k
    April Total: 126k
    May Total: 128k
    June Total: 161.5k
    July Total: 151k

Monthly average: 148.5k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen

Warmer and more humid today. Thought sure I was going to get rained on (which I would not have minded), but beat the raindrops home.

@Scott6255, sometimes it's easier to seek forgiveness than to get permission...

2019 Races:

4-13 Shine the Light 5K - 31:12 chip time; First Place male 65 and older
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K - 31:34 chip time; 31/77 overall; second male 65 and older (no official category)
    7-27 Solon Home Days 5K - 31:11 chip time; 95/141 overall; 4/6 age group (male)
    8-31 Race for Freedom 5k
    9-14 Gift of Life 5k
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,957 Member
    Options
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner Glad the storm cooled things off for you. Sorry about the tummy issues. Hope you are feeling better this morning.

@emmamcgarity WTG on your longest run! That's always a great feeling. I'm sort of at the same point that you are and love it when I can run just a little further than I have before. Hope you find a great race to try. No real advice since the choices in my immediate area are slim. I guess I should expand my immediate area to an hour or so instead of a 30 min drive. That might help. LOL

@autumnblade75 Good luck with the car issues. Yeah, wiper blades are way over priced at the dealer.

@Scott6255 Hahaha on trying to cut the run short and winding up with the same distance. Glad it was a good run anyway. Mentally thinking you were cutting it short may have helped. It probably would have me, until I reached the 6 mile point and realized how much further I still had to go to get to my ending spot.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,972 Member
    Options
    August goal: 100 miles

8/1: 6.30 miles
    8/4: 11.06 miles
    8/6: 6.27 miles
    8/7: 6.26 miles
    8/8: 6.42 miles
    8/11: 10.21 miles
    8/13: 6.26 miles
    8/14: 6.26 miles
    8/15: 6.27 miles
    8/18: 10.11 miles
    8/20: 6.26 miles
    8/21: 6.26 miles

87.94/100 miles completed

Another nice 6.26 mile run this morning. I tried to take it easy and just run so even though I listened to the next episode of Zombies Run, I turned the chases off so I didn't add any sprints into it. Garmin said I was in zone 2 for 1% of the time and zone 3 for 62% of the time and zone 4 for 37% of the time. Yesterday's run where I did some speed work was 2% in zone 2, 13% in zone 3 and 80% in zone 4 and 5% in Zone 5. So today's run was definitely easier than yesterdays, but I'm not really sure how to interpret that data or what zone I should be aiming for. Garmin says that zone 3 is "moderate pace where it is difficult to hold a conversation" and zone 4 is "fast, almost uncomfortable pace". Using those definitions and my perceived effort I would call that zone 4 and zone 5 and say that zone 3 was "easy". For the most part I just ignore the zones and run by feel and how much time I have for a run. I usually have about an hour to an hour and 10 minutes on weekdays and about 2 hours on Sunday for a long run. I'm not training for anything specific at the moment so I usually just run, but I do sometimes try to add in a little speed work. I'm not really sure if that is good or bad to just basically do the same run over and over. But I do enjoy my runs and I think that is important.

@emmamcgarity Congratulations on your longest run to date! I'm not sure when you stop feeling like a beginner. I started running 3 years ago in October and I still feel like a new runner. You should definitely sign up for a race! I haven't run many races compared to a lot of people on here. There are not a lot in my area and I try to sign up for races that are close and don't require overnight travel. The first race I did was a fundraiser for my local animal shelter. I picked it because it was close to my house and I knew the person organizing it.

exercise.png

2019 races:
    2/2/19: Catch the Groundhog Half Marathon - PR 2:15:17
    5/18/19: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - Cancelled due to weather

2020 races:
    5/16/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • zamirasoni
    zamirasoni Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    @ariceroni Congratulation on finishing first on the age group!!

@PastorVincent Congrats in the new job!! Give it time to get adjusted, you will fine :)

@autumnblade75 Sorry about the car drama, glad is back on the road.

@shanaber I totally felt like you yesterday. My legs were tired and cranky (good way to describe them). It was not my best day. Sorry about your watch problems. I'm still having problems with my phone GPS. Somehow, it says that I ran more last week (same interval), but I have a faster pace this time, Weird!