8/11: 10.21 miles
    8/13: 6.26 miles
    8/14: 6.26 miles
    8/15: 6.27 miles
    8/18: 10.11 miles
    8/20: 6.26 miles
    8/21: 6.26 miles

87.94/100 miles completed

Another nice 6.26 mile run this morning. I tried to take it easy and just run so even though I listened to the next episode of Zombies Run, I turned the chases off so I didn't add any sprints into it. Garmin said I was in zone 2 for 1% of the time and zone 3 for 62% of the time and zone 4 for 37% of the time. Yesterday's run where I did some speed work was 2% in zone 2, 13% in zone 3 and 80% in zone 4 and 5% in Zone 5. So today's run was definitely easier than yesterdays, but I'm not really sure how to interpret that data or what zone I should be aiming for. Garmin says that zone 3 is "moderate pace where it is difficult to hold a conversation" and zone 4 is "fast, almost uncomfortable pace". Using those definitions and my perceived effort I would call that zone 4 and zone 5 and say that zone 3 was "easy". For the most part I just ignore the zones and run by feel and how much time I have for a run. I usually have about an hour to an hour and 10 minutes on weekdays and about 2 hours on Sunday for a long run. I'm not training for anything specific at the moment so I usually just run, but I do sometimes try to add in a little speed work. I'm not really sure if that is good or bad to just basically do the same run over and over. But I do enjoy my runs and I think that is important.

@emmamcgarity Congratulations on your longest run to date! I'm not sure when you stop feeling like a beginner. I started running 3 years ago in October and I still feel like a new runner. You should definitely sign up for a race! I haven't run many races compared to a lot of people on here. There are not a lot in my area and I try to sign up for races that are close and don't require overnight travel. The first race I did was a fundraiser for my local animal shelter. I picked it because it was close to my house and I knew the person organizing it.

exercise.png

2019 races:
    2/2/19: Catch the Groundhog Half Marathon - PR 2:15:17
    5/18/19: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - Cancelled due to weather

2020 races:
    5/16/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon

Based on your discussion of Garmin's zones, I went looking for mine today. I caution readers regarding results:
    It said I spent 17 seconds in Zone 1; 3 seconds in Zone 2; 4 seconds in Zone 3; 19 seconds in Zone 4; and 49:02 in Zone 5.
    I assume the reports are accurate, but they seem wacky.
    I'm going in to see if somehow my Max heart rate reverted to the default value of 153 (220 minus my age).
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,964 Member
    Tramboman wrote: »
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    August goal: 100 miles

8/1: 6.30 miles
    8/4: 11.06 miles
    8/6: 6.27 miles
    8/7: 6.26 miles
    8/8: 6.42 miles
    8/11: 10.21 miles
    8/13: 6.26 miles
    8/14: 6.26 miles
    8/15: 6.27 miles
    8/18: 10.11 miles
    8/20: 6.26 miles
    8/21: 6.26 miles

87.94/100 miles completed

Another nice 6.26 mile run this morning. I tried to take it easy and just run so even though I listened to the next episode of Zombies Run, I turned the chases off so I didn't add any sprints into it. Garmin said I was in zone 2 for 1% of the time and zone 3 for 62% of the time and zone 4 for 37% of the time. Yesterday's run where I did some speed work was 2% in zone 2, 13% in zone 3 and 80% in zone 4 and 5% in Zone 5. So today's run was definitely easier than yesterdays, but I'm not really sure how to interpret that data or what zone I should be aiming for. Garmin says that zone 3 is "moderate pace where it is difficult to hold a conversation" and zone 4 is "fast, almost uncomfortable pace". Using those definitions and my perceived effort I would call that zone 4 and zone 5 and say that zone 3 was "easy". For the most part I just ignore the zones and run by feel and how much time I have for a run. I usually have about an hour to an hour and 10 minutes on weekdays and about 2 hours on Sunday for a long run. I'm not training for anything specific at the moment so I usually just run, but I do sometimes try to add in a little speed work. I'm not really sure if that is good or bad to just basically do the same run over and over. But I do enjoy my runs and I think that is important.

@emmamcgarity Congratulations on your longest run to date! I'm not sure when you stop feeling like a beginner. I started running 3 years ago in October and I still feel like a new runner. You should definitely sign up for a race! I haven't run many races compared to a lot of people on here. There are not a lot in my area and I try to sign up for races that are close and don't require overnight travel. The first race I did was a fundraiser for my local animal shelter. I picked it because it was close to my house and I knew the person organizing it.

exercise.png

2019 races:
    2/2/19: Catch the Groundhog Half Marathon - PR 2:15:17
    5/18/19: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - Cancelled due to weather

2020 races:
    5/16/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon

Based on your discussion of Garmin's zones, I went looking for mine today. I caution readers regarding results:
    It said I spent 17 seconds in Zone 1; 3 seconds in Zone 2; 4 seconds in Zone 3; 19 seconds in Zone 4; and 49:02 in Zone 5.
    I assume the reports are accurate, but they seem wacky.
    I'm going in to see if somehow my Max heart rate reverted to the default value of 153 (220 minus my age).

I need to look at that. Mine are probably set to the default.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    SO Y'ALL! Remember in the July thread when my hand was hurting and going numb and I decided to abort my run and go to the doctor? They did not figure out what was wrong but guessed "bit by a bug" and gave me steroids.

Well! I figured it out! :) I had been weeding that morning with my bare hands (much easier than with bear hands I think!) and what I took for just run of the mill weeds was, in fact, large clumps of... STINGING NETTLE.

Heh. Ops :)

Never heard of the plant before, but I was weeding again yesterday (this time with gloves) and one of the weeds brush my leg and despite being a glancing blow at best it started to hurt. I posted the image of the plant to Facebook and someone there ID'd it.

So the moral of this story is wear gloves I guess 🤷‍♂️

Don't meddle with nettles...
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    8-1 3.5k slow
    8-2 3.5k easy
    8-3 4k slow
    8-4 7k easy
    8-5 rest
    8-6 5k easy
    8-7 7k slow
    8-8 7k slow
    8-9 7k easy
    8-10 7k easy
    8-11 7k easy
    8-12 rest
    8-13 7k easy
    8-14 7k slow
    8-15 rest
    8-16 7k easy
    8-17 REST
    8-18 7k moderate
    8-19 rest
    8-20 7k easy
    8-21 7k moderate
    8-22 rest

August Total: 100k
    August Goal: 150k

January Total: 131k
    February Total: 159.5k
    March Total: 183k
    April Total: 126k
    May Total: 128k
    June Total: 161.5k
    July Total: 151k

Monthly average: 148.5k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen

Scheduled rest day today. Raining, so no golf.

2019 Races:

4-13 Shine the Light 5K - 31:12 chip time; First Place male 65 and older
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K - 31:34 chip time; 31/77 overall; second male 65 and older (no official category)
    7-27 Solon Home Days 5K - 31:11 chip time; 95/141 overall; 4/6 age group (male)
    8-31 Race for Freedom 5k
    9-14 Gift of Life 5k
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,654 Member
    SO Y'ALL! Remember in the July thread when my hand was hurting and going numb and I decided to abort my run and go to the doctor? They did not figure out what was wrong but guessed "bit by a bug" and gave me steroids.

Well! I figured it out! :) I had been weeding that morning with my bare hands (much easier than with bear hands I think!) and what I took for just run of the mill weeds was, in fact, large clumps of... STINGING NETTLE.

Heh. Ops :)

Never heard of the plant before, but I was weeding again yesterday (this time with gloves) and one of the weeds brush my leg and despite being a glancing blow at best it started to hurt. I posted the image of the plant to Facebook and someone there ID'd it.

So the moral of this story is wear gloves I guess 🤷‍♂️

You see, growing up in the British countryside has advantages, at least it means you can identify nettles! Where nettles grow, if I remember rightly, dockleaves also grow close by. Dockleaves rubbed over nettle stings help to sooth them.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,697 Member
    You see, growing up in the British countryside has advantages, at least it means you can identify nettles! Where nettles grow, if I remember rightly, dockleaves also grow close by. Dockleaves rubbed over nettle stings help to sooth them.

I think we discussed this a few months back?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Teresa502 wrote: »

I think we discussed this a few months back?

I think so too, or at least I have a shared false memory with you. Either way, I am going to pay a bit more attention to these things growing in my yard! :)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Another article on marathon cheating: https://getpocket.com/explore/item/meet-the-marathon-cheats?utm_source=pocket-newtab

This quote stuck out to me: “But what I couldn’t understand was: why had he done it?” I get it but I don't, you know?
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,382 Member
    @RunsOnEspresso - good article. I really can't imagine anyone cheating in a marathon or a half or any other race for that matter and having a good reason for it. Even if you are running for charity and don't want to let them down... Well, honestly you should have trained more to finish cleanly even if it means walking and not getting a great time. I do feel bad for the woman who had to drop out but ran the last few miles (with permission) with her friend. I guess that is another reason not to go through the finish line, like they tell you if you go back after finishing, to run in with another runner.