Have protein shakes made anyone else gag? If so, how have you fixed this?

2»

Replies

• kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    try whey isolate. I use it, no problem with side effects.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    5 large eggs would give you approximately 42g of protein (I’ve just logged them to check - must make sure I delete them before it kills my day! 😂)

With the other sources you mention, all good quality proteins, I’m genuinely surprised you can’t hit your 50g goal. I’m also vegetarian, but admittedly not lactose intolerant which I agree might make it harder, but I don’t generally struggle to get enough protein.

(btw does cottage cheese not flare you up or does that come under whey product for you? Asking because I don’t know the answer, not trying to trip you up!)

@aprillynncottrell you mentioned lots of good protein sources so I too am surprised at your low numbers. I was wondering if your portion sizes are minuscule or the database entries you chose are bad.

There are logging errors that people commonly make that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Unfortunately, the "verified" green check marks in the MFP database are used for both user-created entries and admin-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. To find admin entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was user entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct.)
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Muscle Milk gives me this. It's the mouth feel, it's got some oil in it and I think that is what makes it have the weird mouth feel. It doesn't quite gag me, but I know what you mean. Powdered Muscle Milk does it too.

I just don't drink Muscle Milk. My sister loves it and prefers it over my protein shakes.

I like Orgain for pre-mixed shakes, Integrated Supplements for powder. ON chocolate is fine too.

I mix mine with Cashew milk if I'm watching calories, or Fairlife milk for that extra protein punch.

Oh that reminds me, there is a filtered milk protein shake - is it made by fairlife? I'm not sure. Core Power. That is what it's called. It's just a more filtered version of filtered milk - it is pleasant.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    I don't drink them, they aren't necessary, they're a helpful tool but not a must.

You absolutely do not need to battle through if you don't like them. Just eat more protein-rich foods instead.
  • sexynurse801ms
    sexynurse801ms Posts: 37 Member
    I like Muscle Milk Vanilla, and Premier Protein in strawberry. They are my go to for breakfast!
  • missjck2
    missjck2 Posts: 146 Member
    I feel the same way and have tried lots of them. I don’t drink them, I get my protein with food/snacks.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    I projectile vomited after protein shakes so gave up - life's too short to force myself to eat things I don't like. I shopped around until I found protein bars/balls that I liked and just ate food that was high in protein as needed ...
  • jayhschmidt
    jayhschmidt Posts: 32 Member
    I use 2 cups of whole milk, a scoop (42g) of chocolate-flavor Whey protein, a scoop of maltodextrin, a few tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder, and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. It seems to satisfy me with no unpalatable side-effects.