Does anyone else lose weight nonlinearly?

Options
2»

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Everyone loses nonlinearly.

This ^^^^^
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    It’s so frustrating because I average a pound a week, but I only see that trend after a month or two. In the meantime, the scale goes so up and down not only from day-to-day, but week-to-week! It makes me feel like I’ll never hit my goal. But sure enough, if I stick with it, the trend tends to even out. It just makes everything so much less predictable :(

That would be everyone....
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Perfect example of why you shouldn't weigh yourself every day.

I respectfully disagree (unless your comment was directed at a single person).

I weigh daily. It keeps me engaged in the process. My scale also links with my trending app. I understand and accept fluctuations and plateaus.

I do agree that people who freak out at a 0.2 lb "gain" on the scale may need another method of monitoring their weight.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Perfect example of why you shouldn't weigh yourself every day.

I respectfully disagree (unless your comment was directed at a single person).

I weigh daily. It keeps me engaged in the process. My scale also links with my trending app. I understand and accept fluctuations and plateaus.

I do agree that people who freak out at a 0.2 lb "gain" on the scale may need another method of monitoring their weight.

I totally agree! If you only weigh once a week, what happens if you are retaining water that day? Does one freak out thinking they had a big gain?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    The other way of looking at it is to be amazed at how efficient our bodies are with moving food and fluid back out. On any given day I probably take in 8-10 pounds of food and liquid. Each day when I get up almost all of that is gone again. Some days I get up and that much plus more is gone and I have a new lower weight. The next day most might be gone but a little remains.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Weight isn’t static, it’s always fluctuating depending on how much you eat, drink, move etc.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Literally everyone. The bouncy ball path for a graph comment made me laugh because that's exactly what a daily weight log looks like.

Also inspiration is all well and good but that waistline in your avatar is almost certainly edited and those kind of shots are single moments in time that are prepped for. You're never going to get to a state where you are one weight and look perfect for longer than an hour or two at a time.