WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2019

Replies

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    467976cko9hdq4re.gif
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Today is National Tooth Fairy Day!

"This childhood favorite evolved with a group of healthcare fairies during the mid-1920s. From bath fairies to Fairy Wand Tooth Whitener, they encouraged kids through a wave of advertisements and health classes. These ads and classes spoke to children about eating their veggies, brushing their teeth, and getting fresh air."

Tracey - Philip would live happily on cold cereal and cookies if I weren't around.

Machka - You did a great job sharing your story in the video.

Lanette - Ugh, your cleaner is a real heroine. I'm not sure I'd want to deal with that kind of a mess for any amount! Our relatively small mess here is what's kept me from finding a cleaner yet... I tell myself that if we can get the clutter under control so it's possible to clean, we'll get a cleaner.

Okie - Our pantry is about the size of yours. When this house was built 81 years ago, nobody needed the kind of storage space that goes in modern houses. Eventually - once we get Philip's studio all wrapped up - I want to tear out everything inside the pantry and re-do it to maximize the space.

It's late in the day and I still have a large pile of work to finish. But I've got Johnny Cash on the radio right now, and Luna and the cats for snuggling when I need a break, so I think I get through it.

Did you have visits from the Tooth Fairy when you were a child?

-Yvonne in TX
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,747 Member
    edited August 2019
    Okie ... your pantry is so organized too! You and Amber put me to shame! My pantry is between two wall studs and in front of dead space created around the furnace stack/chimney. The rest of my food is in the corner cabinets that have large lazy Susan’s in them. I’m not opening those! :D
    dl11oj0p5l4y.jpeg
    s7908uv5gtrd.jpeg
    chzm3xllko4k.jpeg

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Beth - That’s a great use of space!

Okie
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,803 Member
    B)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Karen in VA: I don't think DH would be willing to use the services of a helping hands organization. He's a stubborn man. We have good neighbors who would step in if needed, and an excellent doctor. I wanted to have the RV adventure, but Illinois is really too far for us to drive there and back. I want one thing and DH wants another. At the moment, me flying to Illinois on my own is the more likely choice. We need to figure out travel dates but aren't ready to decide on specifics yet. :ohwell:

Katla

I feel for you. My husband has told me it would be OK if I wanted to fly to Canada to see my family ... and I would like to see my family ... but I just can't leave him alone that long.

Machka in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,036 Member
    edited August 2019
    Amber: (((Hugs))) Glad you escaped. You’re a Wonder Woman. Love the dress!

My food storage: just reorganised this week.
    07ei7phnzvx5.jpeg

xdm42yoob5iw.jpeg
    hglnk9a42ig6.jpeg
    fg85h7slbd9l.jpeg

Heather: You are a girl after my own heart. 💕 💖 the pics.

☘️ Terri

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited August 2019
    Katla No wonder this has been such a difficult decision! You intuitively knew that something just wasn't jibing, and were in a quandary over it. I'm glad you were able to get him to 'fess up so you can make better plans. Having been an independent person, your husband is probably still struggling to adjust to the realities of his limitations. It must be so frustrating.

(((Hugs)))

(((More Hugs)))

_______

Irish Terri I see Marmite. Someone gave us a jar and we haven't opened it yet. Have you ever seen this Wiki-How on how to survive Marmite? It's rather amusing:
    Karen in Virginia
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Did Personal Training with Jackie DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to take the water aerobics class

Yvonne – oh, I loved the yogurt. When I made it, it did taste a lot like plain yogurt. I don’t have a problem with that, but I’m wondering if there is a way to make it flavored while it’s still in the IP. Do you know?

Luci – I would LOVE to get together. Looking forward to it. Good luck on your eye surgeries. How cool that your Dad went to Iowa State.

Making some rice that I’ll portion out, freeze, and then we can have it with dinner another night. I’m so looking forward to getting my own IP, I’m sure one of the kids will get it for me for Christmas and Heather told me she made smaller quantities of rice so I can do that, freeze it, and have it for another time

M – no, I’m not allergic to bees. It’s just that finding this nest was something I didn’t expect to see. I put my foot in the hole thinking that a deer had done it, and it was a bee nest! Wonder what flowers we have? We do have that wasp trap by the pool. Someone suggested that instead of the attractant that comes with it and you have to buy refills just to use apple juice. I tell you, for a time there I was having to change the apple juice every day because it attracted so many insects. It attracts lots, not just wasps, hornets and yellowjackets. We’ve even had beetles in it!

Karen – yellowjackets? Around the pool we got a WHY (wasp hornet and yellowjacket) trap. Wonder if we need one for the front yard? Only thing is, I can’t think of where to put it. You have to hang it up, and we don’t have any trees

KJ – if Trentin was taken into custody, that might explain why his mother hasn’t gotten back to you. She’s embarrassed. Not eating enough will cause you to retain weight if you do it all the time. If it’s just one day here and there, and you make up for it the next day, that shouldn’t interfere with your weight loss

Lanette – Vince was saying that you need to spray late in the day. I could spray early (like 7am) if that would help. Would it? Well, we’ll be spraying tonight Update: the spray we have doesn't seem to do anything to them. Not sure what to use.

Elena – HI there

Re-iced some cupcakes for Vince. He said there wasn’t enough icing. If I don’t have enough icing for the rest of the cupcakes (that are in the freezer), I’ll make more but this time instead of using the water, I’ll use all amaretto. He likes amaretto.

Well, off to the Green Room

Amber – (((HUGS))). You are definitely a survivor. I can’t believe things like that exist! You’ve certainly been thru a lot Doesn’t it feel good to fit into clothes? The other day I tried on this outfit I hadn’t worn in about 25 years. I honestly didn’t think it would fit me any more. But it did! However, I decided not to keep it, I’ll just donate it. I guess I liked things like that back when, but not today.

You all put me to shame with your very organized pantries. I’m ashamed of mine.

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,506 Member
    stats for the day:

day 24 (mon-fri)
    no gym workout

bike ride hm 2 gym sprinkles, windy- 7.24min, 12.9amph, 128mhr, 1.58mi= 75c
    apple watch- 64c
    bike ride gym 2 sumn station sprinkles, windy- 50.41min, 14amph, 146mhr, 11.83mi= 513c
    apple watch- 458c
    jog station 2 wrk- 4.52min, 144mhr, 9.43min mi, .50mi= 63c
    apple watch- 56c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 4.29min, 10.01min mi, 146mhr, .44mi= 61c
    apple watch- 59c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 18min, 8.4amph, 149mhr, 2.51mi= 186c
    apple watch- 137c

total cal 898c
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,725 Member
    Lanette and Yvonne - Rodger could live on cold cereal or peanut butter and bread. I used to travel for work a lot and I am quite free with going to visit without him so he does fend for himself. He’s good about cleaning up so usually I don’t know what he actually eats. I am going tomorrow night to spend a night with my cousin, we are going to craft.

I’m not sure what is going on with my wrist, by slowing down on typing on my phone it is better this week. I assume it’s some kind of carpal tunnel thing. I made a doctors appointment today for my hip and I’ll mention my wrist too.

Going to get off here to save my wrist.
    Tracey In Edmonton
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    <3
  • Machka9
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Kelly ... I'm with Mary and KarenVA, intermittent low calorie delays will not destroy your metabolism. I know there's a lot of conflicting information out there, but I don't buy into the starvation mode thing. Even if you were to eat at an unhealthy deficit long term, you would eventually lose weight. (i.e., prison camps, anorexics, etc.) Not that I'm suggesting you do that.

Beth near Buffalo

I also don't buy into the starvation mode thing for the same reasons ... or the destroying the metabolism thing. But if a person eats too few calories there are quite a number of negative consequences including hair loss, muscle loss, energy loss, etc.

Our bodies usually have roughly 2000 calories in storage in the liver, in special cells in the muscles, in fat, etc. So if a few days each month, we ate lower than we should, our bodies would make up for it with what we've got in storage. However ... if we continually eat lower than we should, we'll use up what we've got in storage, and that's when the problems start.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    I have a very small pantry. I wish it were bigger, but it works.
    h0xieox8jfq4.jpeg

Okie in the TX Hill Country

Your "very small pantry" looks about the same size as ours but perhaps not quite as deep. Is it about 3 feet wide?

My husband has been organising our pantry over the last few weeks and it's much more functional now. :)

M in Oz
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Machka - Hub says about four feet wide. I wish it were big enough to house the crock pot, toaster, etc. Maybe in my next life. :o

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    Hi Gals,

Kelly – I love the spaceship, thanks for telling how you made it and that you are passing it on…. How little Joaquin is fine.

Elena – welcome

Carol – depending on how you set up your original will and trust (maybe) can affect how much of what is left when you and DH pass that will go to your son and how much will be eaten up by taxes.

Karen NY- Your daughter is very pretty – would she have any idea who Donna Summers was???

Rita – When someone owns a problem, explains what went wrong and how it is or is being solved, it makes such a difference in how I feel.

Katla – I am so sorry to hear that what DH wants most you there – is so limiting with all the other options available. A thought, what about a miles credit card? Even if you usually don’t use a credit card I know families that put everything on one, pay it in full each month and then fly family in using the points.

Heather great pictures of you and DH

Meg – take care!!!!!

Panty envy!

Kim from N. California
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Meg- Goodness hope you’ll heal quickly! Just eat right y rest so you can build your strength back up.

Well dress buttons 2 on the bottom popped off getting up from putting JR on the potty lol. Cheaply made bleep hubby exclaimed! I feel good knowing I fit in it so confidence totally worth the money lol. Plus thing had too many tiny buttons I hate those my hands can’t button up easily with age so micro buttons aren’t fun lol. Wore it a whole day felt great 👍. Now I know for sure I’ve lost a lot it was loose!

Hubby was going to bed but JR cried so he ran to Walmart to get JR something. Lol he’s raised tons of kids this is his 1st toddler he’ll learn. JR has him wrapped around the pinky from day one lol he doesn’t get no where with Mom.

Amber Tx