Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

SUGAR

ahhhsome46ahhhsome46 Posts: 1Member, Premium Member Posts: 1Member, Premium Member
For pre and post diabetics. The sugar needs to be realistic. You can't increase the goals because of exercise. There are limits to the amount of sugar consumed. I am borderline diabetic. I am not over weight and I exercise 3 to 4 times per week. Please open a discussion about this. What is your take.

Replies

• LyndaBSSLyndaBSS Posts: 2,974Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,974Member, Premium Member
    I'm a type 1 adult onset diabetic. I've gotten off of insulin and maintain a healthy fasting glucose level through diet alone.
  • cwolfman13cwolfman13 Posts: 36,550Member Member Posts: 36,550Member Member
    ahhhsome46 wrote: »
    For pre and post diabetics. The sugar needs to be realistic. You can't increase the goals because of exercise. There are limits to the amount of sugar consumed. I am borderline diabetic. I am not over weight and I exercise 3 to 4 times per week. Please open a discussion about this. What is your take.

Just keep it wherever you need to keep it. Your macros and whatnot increase with exercise because your calorie target increases and your calories are derived from your macros. Just ignore the sugar.
  • LyndaBSSLyndaBSS Posts: 2,974Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,974Member, Premium Member
    What exactly is a post diabetic? I've never heard that term.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 2,878Member Member Posts: 2,878Member Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ahhhsome46 wrote: »

Just keep it wherever you need to keep it. Your macros and whatnot increase with exercise because your calorie target increases and your calories are derived from your macros. Just ignore the sugar.

This.

Also, aren't carbs the issue, not just sugar, and the main thing not total consumed (although limits per meal are common) but making sure they are consumed with fiber, protein, etc.?

But you don't have to eat to your macros -- my protein goal was 90 g, and I ignored it increasing with exercise since 90 was plenty. I might eat more, might not, but I knew I didn't need to. If you want to eat to a specific sugar goal, ignore the increase.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 2,878Member Member Posts: 2,878Member Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    What exactly is a post diabetic? I've never heard that term.

I assume OP just means diabetic (as in after one gets T2D). I have not heard the term either, though!
  • drmwcdrmwc Posts: 127Member, Premium Member Posts: 127Member, Premium Member
    Could post diabetic refer to remission?

I'm in that category - my 1AC has gone from 50 mmol/mol (or 6.7% or 8.1 mmol/l) to 36 mmol/mol (5.4%, or 6.1 mmol/l) through diet and exercise.
    edited August 9