30 day shred

1235»

Replies

• ThatJuJitsuWoman
    ThatJuJitsuWoman Posts: 155 Member
    I haven’t noticed any elbow pains, despite having pains almost everywhere else! Do you think it was the moves with weights, or the planks and push-ups that caused it? You could try with very light weights - I didn’t buy my weights until I was on level 2 and I used tins of food or cartons of juice as weights before that!
  • chopsuey99
    chopsuey99 Posts: 20 Member
    I get the elbow pain sometimes too. I'm 48 so I take it easy and try to go right to the edge of what I can do and not overdo it as injury is a detour to consistent progress ---and can be discouraging to boot! I'll back off the arms/shoulders, do the moves without any weights, go half the rate of JM, basically modify however I can or do something else entirely. Just keep moving. :) The pain will go away (for me) and then I'll gingerly try them again the next day. Kind of nip it in the bud.

Just came back from a holiday in San Fran with a friend--we went on hikes in the Muir Woods area, logged many miles through Golden Gate Park, a candelight hot yoga class, a HIIT class in Berkeley. Back to JM BodyShred! Feels good. Feeling strong, have more stamina. Clothes fitting better. :)
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    143tobe wrote: »
    Hi ladies! I keep seeing this thread pop up on my feed. I was in a shred group a few years ago but I had to stop after a few weeks because I developed golfers elbow from the workouts. It lasted two years! After my elbow got better I did the video a couple times because I loved the workouts and I figured the workouts really couldn't have caused my elbow problems, but sure enough, I started to develop the same pain again, so I stopped. But I love everyone's enthusiasm in here! Now I'm tempted to try the workouts again. I was actually eyeballing my dvd this morning. Maybe third time is a charm? I'm in much better shape than I was the first two times around. I'll let you know if I try it. :)

You can always try bigginer shred it tough but still easier then 30 day shred
  • ThatJuJitsuWoman
    chopsuey99 wrote: »

Just came back from a holiday in San Fran with a friend--we went on hikes in the Muir Woods area, logged many miles through Golden Gate Park, a candelight hot yoga class, a HIIT class in Berkeley. Back to JM BodyShred! Feels good. Feeling strong, have more stamina. Clothes fitting better. :)

That sounds amazing - just the kind of active holiday I love!

I’ve had lots of time to run in the last 2 weeks so I haven’t done the shred. I’ve made lots of progress, I ran 7.5 miles without stopping yesterday! It’ll be interesting to see if the shred is any easier when I get back to it.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Hi guys! I did try level 1 of the 30 day Shred this week. It actually felt easier and shorter than I remembered it being! I've been training for a half marathon the past two months and I do strength training 2 or three times a week, so I think I've just really built up my strength and stamina. I did not feel the elbow pain during the workout, but it did feel a little tender this weekend. I really am not sure which exercises are responsible. I do use hand held weights during my strength training, do push-ups twice a week, but I will only do bicep curls with a barbell so the weight is evenly distributed and doesn't twist. My half marathon is in 10 days so I'm afraid to veer from my current training program, but after doing the shred this week, I felt SO good and it gave me so much energy for the rest of the day. So if I find a day to do level 2 this week, I will.
  • ThatJuJitsuWoman
    143tobe wrote: »
    Hi guys! I did try level 1 of the 30 day Shred this week. It actually felt easier and shorter than I remembered it being! I've been training for a half marathon the past two months and I do strength training 2 or three times a week, so I think I've just really built up my strength and stamina. I did not feel the elbow pain during the workout, but it did feel a little tender this weekend. I really am not sure which exercises are responsible. I do use hand held weights during my strength training, do push-ups twice a week, but I will only do bicep curls with a barbell so the weight is evenly distributed and doesn't twist. My half marathon is in 10 days so I'm afraid to veer from my current training program, but after doing the shred this week, I felt SO good and it gave me so much energy for the rest of the day. So if I find a day to do level 2 this week, I will.

Good luck with your half marathon! I’m training for one too, but it’s not until March next year. Let us know how it goes.
  • 143tobe
    @ThatJuJitsuWoman Great job on your run! That's an awesome accomplishment! So happy to find another runner. :)

@chopsuey99 I am drooling over your trip! Before I moved to Germany, hiking was my favorite thing in the world. I remember I took my first backpacking trip in Yosemite. I was so not prepared for it. It took months for my feet to recover and I swear I gained a shoe size! :D The candlight hot yoga class sounds awesome! I've never tried hot yoga, the regular yoga already kicks my butt.

• 143tobe
    @ThatJuJitsuWoman Cool! Which half marathon are you going to run? I'm a little nervous about mine because it's a smaller local one so the total people running is about 120, and when I checked the finishing times from last year the slowest finisher was already faster than my fastest finish. So there is a good chance I will come in dead last. Once I realized this I felt pretty demotivated and considered finding a larger half to run, but I've had my heart and mind and training set on this one, and I actually convinced my husband to do it too, so last place or not. I'm gonna do it.
  • ThatJuJitsuWoman
    I’m running the Sheffield half. It’s huge, I ran it last year and there were over 5,000 runners. The atmosphere was great, I loved it.

I also did a smaller local one (Hatter’s half in Stockport) later in the year, but I had problems finding time to train for it so I struggled and didn’t enjoy it as much. I want to do that one again because it was a really nice route (mostly off-road alongside a river) and I know I can get a better time on it.

That’s great that your husband is running with you. Mine is a cyclist and not at all interested in running. There’s every chance that there will be other people entering the race this year and you won’t be last! If you get a good time for you, it’s a victory anyway. I was delighted just to finish mine, even more so because I beat the time I was aiming for at Sheffield.