Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Quaker - Oats incorrect Potassium level. Incorrectly verified by 1000s of people!

JKDosJKDos Posts: 4Member Member Posts: 4Member Member
The Quaker Oats added by MyFitnessPall Staff is showing 0mg of potassium. This is a flat out lie. I am requesting it be corrected to show the correct 150mg of potassium.

It's wrong to lie to people about potassium levels for numerous reasons, some of which are impeccable to their health.

What's sad is the amount of people who verified it, when the label in fact shows potassium as 150mg, and not 0mg.

Replies

• nighthawk584nighthawk584 Posts: 389Member Member Posts: 389Member Member
    👇
    edited August 12
  • nighthawk584nighthawk584 Posts: 389Member Member Posts: 389Member Member
    you can edit the numbers yourself if they are wrong. I've done it for many foods since I've been using MFP.
  • JKDosJKDos Posts: 4Member Member Posts: 4Member Member
    you can edit the numbers yourself if they are wrong. I've done it for many foods since I've been using MFP.

You're not allowed to edit foods added by MFP staff
  • deannalfisherdeannalfisher Posts: 5,038Member, Premium Member Posts: 5,038Member, Premium Member
    its entirely possible that at one time it was 0 potassium...
  • floofyschmooferfloofyschmoofer Posts: 170Member Member Posts: 170Member Member
    If the label says 150mg, then you know how much potassium is in it. Nutritional content changes a lot, I'm sure it's a pretty huge task to keep up with.

Your best bet would be to add an entry with accurate macros that you can personally use.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 2,878Member Member Posts: 2,878Member Member
    JKDos wrote: »

You're not allowed to edit foods added by MFP staff

What is the Quaker Oats added by MFP staff?

Normally MFP staff does not add food items.

It is very likely that a package did not have the potassium information when it was added. If you want to track potassium, you really have to be careful about the entries and mostly use whole food entries.
  • MikePTYMikePTY Posts: 2,604Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,604Member, Premium Member
    Potassium is only recently being required on food labels. It is entirely possible that it was not on labels until recently to comply with the new requirements.

The MFP database tries it's best to be accurate, but no warranty is implied by it. If someone has health issues that could be seriously triggered by specific vitamins and minerals, I'd strongly recommend they not treat MFP listings as gospel for that.
  • TheMrWobblyTheMrWobbly Posts: 931Member Member Posts: 931Member Member
    You can bet your bottom dollar none of those people cared about potassium. I am constantly finding sodium is entered as the salt content and calcium not added at all, even in cheese. If people don't track something they will verify it if the bits they track are correct.

I used to find it frustrating, now it's just part of the day. Set your own product up, find another to change, it is how it is.
  • spacedoutmfpspacedoutmfp Posts: 3Member Member Posts: 3Member Member
    If you require diligent tracking of potassium and sodium, create your own entries for items instead of using the pre-listed ones.
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

To clear somethings up, potassium is now required to be listed on Food Labels.
    Second, potassium isn't added to oatmeal, it's naturally occuring, so there is no time where quaker oats contained no potassium.

Last, MFP staff do, or did at one time, in fact add food. They even claimed to have.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 2,878Member Member Posts: 2,878Member Member

Second, potassium isn't added to oatmeal, it's naturally occuring, so there is no time where quaker oats contained no potassium.

Last, MFP staff do, or did at one time, in fact add food. They even claimed to have.

If you read the info provided if you click where it tells you what the checkmark means, they explain that some entries were added by MFP -- those are the USDA entries for whole foods, not the product entries -- but most are added by users. I'd like to know why you think this specific entry was added by MFP.

Also, the entries added by MFP were ages ago, so BEFORE any food labels had potassium on them.

Contrary to your claim, in the US labels are NOT currently required to have potassium. The new label with potassium will be required in January 2020. They CAN be used now and some companies are already using them, but that has 0 to do with the many, many entries added in the past: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Potassium-HealthProfessional/

If you think it's extremely important to have potassium correct (for example, a limited potassium diet), you will need to use only products that have the new labels, check entries and probably add them yourself, and otherwise make sure to use the USDA information for whole foods. Since many people on limited potassium diets likely don't do that, presumably your doctor or RD provided information about how to avoid excess potassium, if that's the issue.

(If instead you just want MORE potassium, eat foods that contain a good amount, which is easier than trying to track on MFP. I log on Cronometer since I was interested in things like potassium, but that only works for me since I eat mostly whole foods, not packaged products.)
  • cmriversidecmriverside Posts: 28,241Member Member Posts: 28,241Member Member
    Any food I use I vet it through the food's website or the USDA database first. If it's wrong and I can't find one I like in the database, then I make my own entry. Takes a minute, but then it's always going to be there for me to use from either my Recents or MY FOODS list.

MFP Admin didn't enter all the brand name items - and if they're verified they may still be wrong. I'm wondering how you can discern the Admin-added Quaker Oats from the other bajillion entries in the database. There is no real way to tell the difference in branded items.
  • cwolfman13cwolfman13 Posts: 36,550Member Member Posts: 36,550Member Member
    The Quaker Oats added by MyFitnessPall Staff is showing 0mg of potassium. This is a flat out lie. I am requesting it be corrected to show the correct 150mg of potassium.

It's wrong to lie to people about potassium levels for numerous reasons, some of which are impeccable to their health.

What's sad is the amount of people who verified it, when the label in fact shows potassium as 150mg, and not 0mg.

You aren't being lied to. MFP staff don't create entries in the database. Database entries are for the most part crowd sourced and are entered by other users. That particular user either omitted it because he/she didn't care when creating the entry, or that information wasn't available on the label when the user created the entry.

edited August 13
  • cwolfman13cwolfman13 Posts: 36,550Member Member Posts: 36,550Member Member

It's required now...but that doesn't mean users have gone in and re-done the entries...you know you can do that on your own right?

And no...MFP staff do not create the vast majority of entries and never have...I've been here for 7+ years. The vast majority of database entries are user entered. It would be nearly impossible for a few staff to create an entire database the size of MFP.

Sure, but that doesn't mean they have added 0 items. They have added Quaker Oats. They said themselves I cannot change the items they have added.
    edited August 14
  • snickerscharliesnickerscharlie Posts: 8,102Member Member Posts: 8,102Member Member
    Sure, but that doesn't mean they have added 0 items. They have added Quaker Oats. They said themselves I cannot change the items they have added.

Once more into the breach: Create your own entry, use it, and then get on with your life. It's short enough as it is. :)

edited August 14