123457»

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    yxba wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    yxba wrote: »
    Has anybody looked into or tried getting these procedures done in a different country like Brazil for example?

I didn't consider it. Some of the reports for recovery are quite severe. I didn't have it too bad but I think I am still glad I was close to home. Do you think there is an advantage?

Well.. From what Ive heard the cost is significantly cheaper and at least for a couple weeks after the procedure the care is better. They take you to a nearby hotel/care facility until you're well enough to travel. Im just think that in my case well there's a lot I want to get done and it ain't going to be cheap.

I would hate to leave the care I have been provided so far but the cost is a factor. My first one was certainly not cheap.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I've thought about it, though this will be something that would be a long time coming because I need to get the remaining 100 or so lbs off and prove to myself I can keep it off.

However, just this week, I found a spot on my belly that needed attention that i didn't even realize was irritated because its under a belly fold that is nothing but empty skin, and I couldn't see it unless I moved the skin out of the way. I had never thought about the possible health problems that all that loose skin could be causing or hiding.

Course, on the flip side, if I ever need to have a skin graft, I'm golden!

To keep it from happening over and over. What I have found that works for me is Gold Bond Friction Defense. I also use something called a tummy liner, literally a piece of cloth, cotton/flannel mix, that I stick under the apron and change daily.

Hmm I am going to go look for the Hibiclens as have not tried that, but have many others.

I've never heard of Hibiclens and am not sure is available in my area, but I'll have to look. The gold bond stuff, though, is wonderful, especially in the summer!

Apron is an interesting thing to call it :) I've got a horrible muffin top, too, thanks to gaining a lot of weight fast in college and not buying new jeans to compensate.

I don't have any major health issues, which I'm thankful for, but which also means that if I'd ever want to get the skin surgery, I won't be able to have a health reason to justify having the insurance cover it, so it will be out of my pocket, and the earliest that could happen would be 2025 because that's when my student loans finally pay off as well as a couple other debts of mine. And the way I'm losing, it will probable be later than that. I lost 100 lbs in about 10 months, then plateaued for 18 months and regained 25 of it. I've managed to re-lose 20 in 6 months, and am hoping that I can at least get 40 or 50 off this year. I'd really want to wait a couple of years, too, to make sure that I can stabilize and not regain again.

Besides, I'd have to lose another 78 lbs minimum and get down to 196 to squeak under that 29.9 BMI requirement; I doubt I ever get that low. I'll be doing good to get down to 220!

Hibiclens was once a prescription soap. Now it is available OTC but you will probably need to look for it at a pharmacy.

The loose skin can be a medical issue all by itself. I hope that for you that will not be the case. I do not know where I am heading on weight goals either but I am not too concerned about it. It is not like there is a finish line. I do not think any of us should sell ourselves short on what is possible. Some of us may have to enter and exit maintenance periods to help with some weight at the end but that is sometimes just part of the deal.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    @magnusthenerd: I wish you good healing with no further complications. My thoughts will be with you.
  • martianspuds
    martianspuds Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I've thought about it, though this will be something that would be a long time coming because I need to get the remaining 100 or so lbs off and prove to myself I can keep it off.

However, just this week, I found a spot on my belly that needed attention that i didn't even realize was irritated because its under a belly fold that is nothing but empty skin, and I couldn't see it unless I moved the skin out of the way. I had never thought about the possible health problems that all that loose skin could be causing or hiding.

Course, on the flip side, if I ever need to have a skin graft, I'm golden!

To keep it from happening over and over. What I have found that works for me is Gold Bond Friction Defense. I also use something called a tummy liner, literally a piece of cloth, cotton/flannel mix, that I stick under the apron and change daily.

Hmm I am going to go look for the Hibiclens as have not tried that, but have many others.

I've never heard of Hibiclens and am not sure is available in my area, but I'll have to look. The gold bond stuff, though, is wonderful, especially in the summer!

Apron is an interesting thing to call it :) I've got a horrible muffin top, too, thanks to gaining a lot of weight fast in college and not buying new jeans to compensate.

I don't have any major health issues, which I'm thankful for, but which also means that if I'd ever want to get the skin surgery, I won't be able to have a health reason to justify having the insurance cover it, so it will be out of my pocket, and the earliest that could happen would be 2025 because that's when my student loans finally pay off as well as a couple other debts of mine. And the way I'm losing, it will probable be later than that. I lost 100 lbs in about 10 months, then plateaued for 18 months and regained 25 of it. I've managed to re-lose 20 in 6 months, and am hoping that I can at least get 40 or 50 off this year. I'd really want to wait a couple of years, too, to make sure that I can stabilize and not regain again.

Besides, I'd have to lose another 78 lbs minimum and get down to 196 to squeak under that 29.9 BMI requirement; I doubt I ever get that low. I'll be doing good to get down to 220!

Hibiclens was once a prescription soap. Now it is available OTC but you will probably need to look for it at a pharmacy.

I had hip/leg surgery last month, and during a pre-op information session, the nurses told me to get Dial Gold, an antibacterial bar soap, rather than Hibiclens (which was what was listed in the hospital's pamphlet). They didn't give much of an answer as to why beyond 'it is easier to buy', and I don't know if it's useful for loose skin issues, but perhaps worth a try if Hibiclens is not available in someone's area? Dial Gold is available on Amazon as well as in Target, Walmart, CVS, etc., and is inexpensive.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    dial is simply an antibacterial soap, and not a very powerful antibacterial one, either. but its a good soap as any, and keeping places clean and dry are good things. Hibiclens, I would think, would have stronger antibacterial properties.
  • martianspuds
    martianspuds Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    dial is simply an antibacterial soap, and not a very powerful antibacterial one, either. but its a good soap as any, and keeping places clean and dry are good things. Hibiclens, I would think, would have stronger antibacterial properties.

That makes sense. I was a bit surprised the nurses didn't explain more as to why the change (I was given little time for questions so didn't pursue). Not sure if standard of care everywhere, but incoming patients there are tested for MRSA & given a prescription soap - I tested negative so not sure what name of it was.