What % of exercise caloroes do you eat back ?

2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    1976gemini wrote: »
    My calorie limit whether I burned it or not is still my limit.

If you use MFP to set your calorie goal, exercise, but don't eat back any exercise calories, you are not using MFP the way it was designed.

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    All of them because for the most part, my exercise calories come from my Fitbit. I don’t usually log weight lifting which I have found isn’t accurate. Steps, cardio, running calories are very accurate for me so I eat them all. Unfortunately, my Fitbit hasn’t been synching for 2 months now.....
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    I don’t eat any exercise calories. But, I have adjusted my goals to accommodate that. I chose a higher activity level and a slower rate of weight loss. So, I am essentially taking exercise into consideration without actually trying to figure out the exact number of calories my activity burns. Turns out, I estimated really close to what a TDEE calculator would give me. So, it works for me. But, my method is not for everyone. Some people like the preciseness of numbers. I prefer to take a more relaxed approach. The less I have to keep track of, the better.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    50% on a hungry day
    0-25% on a normal day
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Nearly always 100%, after taking pains at first to learn how to estimate them conservatively/carefully . . . all through 50 pounds of weight loss and nearly 4 years of maintenance since.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    I started with sendentary with a .5 lb per week goal. This got me 1240 for calories.

I use conservative estimates for my exercise that I entered myself. For example, 125 for 30 min on my treadmill or 75 for 30 minutes combined yoga/strength training.

Then, I mostly eat those calories. Not always, because some days I run out of time and have calories remaining. (I can't eat after dinner due to GERD.)
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    I am in maintenance and I set my own calories in MFP (I am not longer very precise with the weighing and logging).

My workouts are not very intense anymore, and since I am a very petite/short older woman, I know that I don't burn that much exercising. I don't wear any trackers, I never did. I care more about the minutes or weekly hours that I spent exercising, than about the amount of calories burned.

I enter in my exercise dairy exercise minutes for every daily routine, and I give myself two calories per minute for cardio, and one calorie per minute for strength training, yoga, and calisthenic. At the most I may have between 150 and 200 extra calories a day that I may choose to eat or not, depending on how hungry I am and how was my weekly weight fluctuating.

So far, this approach has been working very well for me.
  • bwhitty67
    bwhitty67 Posts: 162 Member
    0%. I walk daily and Pilates.
  • marierenicks1
    marierenicks1 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi Guys I am totally confused by these exercise calories and if eating them or not can someone point me in right direction.
    I am om MFP 1220 Cals day but with my 2 walks burn 246 cals so Yesterday
    GOAL 1220 FOOD 1213 - EXERCISE 246 = NET 967 but says on diary page
    TOTALS 1520 DAILY GOAL 1554 REMAINING 34 CALS EARNED 334 EXTRA C FOR EXERCISE.

Friday GOAL 1220 FOOD 1,166 daily goal 1,343 remaining 177

Can anyone tell me if I am doing this correctly .

Cheers :)