Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Could rapid weight loss being healthier sometimes?

13»

Replies

• magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    How would this compare to a group that lost weight at a standard rate ~1lb/week? How does this compare to a control group losing no weight?

There is no "damaging metabolism" as metabolism is nothing more than a series of biochemical pathways.

I question the long term effect as dramatic change adopted in the short term rarely leads to long term changes in behavior. In the long term it may actually cause harm as individuals feel the need for dramatic intervention instead of forming habits which promote health.

I was in a house with someone for a few weeks who was on a ~800 calorie diet under medical supervision.

They were on a "diet break" at the time.

They ate high calorie "junk food" (either takeaway or that is easy to cook at home) for every meal and lots of high calorie snacks.

They had midnight snacks of tater tots / potato gems covered in melted cheese and bacon.

Medically supervised starvation periods can not magically or instantly educate a person or their tastebuds and cooking skills.

All things take time. Learning is a key form of nourishment.
    I wonder if it will help the person. Typically, the thought is that diet breaks help people achieve maintenance better with a large amount of weight to lose by preparing them to eat at maintenance levels instead of always dieting. Too many people have this mindset of "this is what I eat on a diet" and "this is what I eat when I'm not on a diet", instead of "this is how much I eat when I'm on a diet", and "this is how how much I eat when I'm not on a diet".
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    rlfrausto wrote: »
    After reading all the threads it all makes sense and Web MD gives a pretty good explanation aswell.

Yes, I am reading WebMD now and obsessively checking my January lab results against it, lol.

After I figured out the relevant abbreviations, all in normal ranges!

I guess my blurred vision and lethargy is due to the hoof beats of sleep deprivation horses rather than the hoof beats of diabetes unicorns.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    For the last time, before I lose my mind, it's type 1. Diagnosed when I was in my late 40's. I was on insulin for years.

Within the last year, I was tested for antibodies. It was discovered that my pancreas is now producing enough insulin. They don't know how. They don't know why. I was taken off of insulin. All of my doctors refer to me as a medical anomaly.

Just recently, my leptin resistance vanished as well. I had previously been on injections for that.

I also had my tonsils removed in fourth grade. Any questions? No? Great!

In fairness, that's a different story than "losing 30 pounds allowed me to quit taking insulin for my type 1 diabetes."