Not losing weight! Help!! :(

Options
2»

Replies

• haywood87
    Options
    Without question, it sounds like you are severely restricting your calories too much. This is harmful because your body will hold on to fat in effort to keep you from starving. We mistakenly associate eating correctly with limiting the bad things. This is true, but a BIGGER part of eating right is increasing the good things. Good foods like fruits and vegetables don't need to be counted like processed foods. Plus, you can large amounts of these foods without feeling guilty. I wrote a great article about debunking weight loss myths on my website http://www.injoymint.com/blog/article/?sid=104. Check it out if you get a chance
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    From the example of a day of food you posted, I would agree that you need to eat more - especially if you're not eating back exercise cals.

MFP is set up with your deficit built into you daily calorie goal. Meaning eat to goal every day, do zero exercise, and you'll lose weight. That's why they add the burned cals back into your daily goal - you are supposed to eat them back. Not doing so creates a HUGE deficit in calories, which can backfire on ya in the long run.

I would also change your settings from the 2lb loss per week goal to just 1lb at the most - if you don't have 100lbs to lose, 2lbs a week is too aggressive.

Food is fuel! Eat too little for too long, and you're sending your body the message to store fat rather than burn it. You may lose some weight, but unless you're planning on eating super low calories for the rest of your life (which doesn't fit in very well with enjoying birthdays, holidays, vacations, dinners out, etc), it will come right back as soon as you go back to eating normally. Plus people often find, as I did, that the pounds go down, but we're left with a slimmer, yet still soft and squishy version of our former selves - definitely not what I was going for! Lose the fat, keep the muscle, and that requires proper fueling of your body.

^^ All of this.

Your body will not run if you don't feed it. You need to put gas in your car or it won't run at all. Your body will still continue to run but it starts shutting down some processes in order to conserve, this is not optimal for weight loss.