Under 1200 for weight-loss

1235»

Replies

• cherylscott4
    cherylscott4 Posts: 23 Member
    I am 66 years old; I have eaten about 500 cal sometimes; but the most of the time I get close to 1000 cal. I workout six days a week for at least 30 minutes a day. I was born with my heart problem; I have BP and a colostomy for 35 years. I am 4'10" in height I started at 141 pounds. So far I have lost 8 pounds. When I first started Sparks I weighted 180 pounds and I lost down to 120 pounds. I have a two years old great grand-daughter that could climb out of her play pen so I stop workouting. Now I have started back and she is my workout buddy. I have to loss the weight because I know the problems my other family members are suffering from. I can have the same problems; so I watch what I eat and exercise.
    18922 Posts: 106 Member
    Emma,
    Thank you for sharing your story. You are brave for putting it out there.
    I tend to eat low ( try to stay at 1200) as it’s the only way I seem to lose weight. I do have higher days and don’t feel guilty about it.
    I hope I’m not damaging this beautiful body. As a type 2 diabetic I’m trying to get healthier and get off meds . I’ve lost 50 pds in 3 yrs so I think I’m doing ok but will pay more attention to eating more.
    Thank you ❤️
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Theres a lot of holes in ops story and not much of it adds up. just saying.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    For those of you that have daughter/son in middle school, do a little monitoring on their eating habits. If eating disorders happen, it will usually start when they go through puberty and their bodies start changing. With social media being the measuring stick for many kids, it's NOT unlikely that many will do things like under eat, bulimia, etc. if they feel they are overweight even if they aren't.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sugagirl5
    sugagirl5 Posts: 24 Member
    I thank you for sharing this, every time I congratulate myself for going under 1200 calories a day I’ll remind myself of this and the risks associated with doing that
  • jr80464
    jr80464 Posts: 7 Member
    I cannot say this enough lately - the 1200 calorie guideline was created in 1918. 105 FREAKING YEARS AGO! We need to abolish this archaic myth from our minds, myfitnesspal calculators, and what we teach our children about health. Less calories does not equal better health. Please everyone who eats at that or lower, really do your research on healthy calorie amounts.

I recently discovered reverse dieting and I have nearly tripled my calories and have not gained any weight but I feel more amazing than ever. I wish all of you the best.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,888 Member
    jr80464 wrote: »
    I cannot say this enough lately - the 1200 calorie guideline was created in 1918. 105 FREAKING YEARS AGO! We need to abolish this archaic myth from our minds, myfitnesspal calculators, and what we teach our children about health. Less calories does not equal better health. Please everyone who eats at that or lower, really do your research on healthy calorie amounts.

I recently discovered reverse dieting and I have nearly tripled my calories and have not gained any weight but I feel more amazing than ever. I wish all of you the best.

This may have been posted earlier, but I don't see it on this page or the first page, so here it is:

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,248 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    jr80464 wrote: »

This may have been posted earlier, but I don't see it on this page or the first page, so here it is:

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

Thank you for posting this.

It’s a great resource.

Personally the reason I have 1200 set in my goals is to make sure I get the very minimum on days I’m struggling with nausea or some other similar issue.
    I often go over, usually by quite a bit.
    But since I’m disabled my activity level is below sedentary so it seems to work out (for me. I’m not saying 1200 is good for most people)