September 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    edited October 2019
    shanaber wrote: »
    @katharmonic - we have seen a couple of new places that have axe throwing and with your mace training you could be the big winner! 😁 Honestly I bet it is a great whole body workout!

@shanaber it really is. Last week I was so sore all over, and I'm sure I will be this week as well. Lots of legs with squats and lunges along with the shoulders and arms.

Oh, and I was invited to be on an axe throwing league but I can't do it right now because it meets the same night as my half marathon training. But I might do it over the winter :)

@ereck44 hope you started reading with a big pot of coffee. You can get through the entire thread by tomorrow :smiley:

And @quilteryoyo great job on making your goal!

Catch you all in October!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    @mbaker566 Congratulations on the PR and AG finish!

@girlinahat wow what a lovely place to run! Well done! I shuddered at the thought of running on shingle, running on gravel wears me out and shingle sounds ten times worse. Also, have you looked into silicon toe caps? That’s the only thing that keeps my husband from getting the same blister in the same place.

I made my 60 mile stretch goal after all. Needed 7 miles today to hit it, so that’s what we did. The heat is still heinous, I don’t know if the heat index hit 100 while we were running but the temperature was 96. This is ridiculous weather for the last day of September. When we finished and cooled off I had visible salt crystals all over my collarbones and face. Fortunately it’s supposed to be cooler next week.

There is a pair of sharp-shinned hawks that live in one particular tree along the Greenline, at about the two mile mark. We have seen them several times, and today the male soared down and flew in front of us about ten feet away as if he was pacing us. We got a really nice look at him! He was sitting in a tree next to the trail on our way back and didn’t even blink as we passed. We also saw half a dozen deer grazing, and a bunch of swifts swooping after mosquitoes.

That’s it for September, here’s to more pleasant weather in October!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    final thoughts -

yes @teresa502 and @7lenny7 - shingle is like pea gravel. I guess it relates specifically to small pebbles on a beach (we also use the term shingle to mean timber roofing sections, go figure). Shingle on a beach can vary in size from large rounded pebbles (which are even more ankle breaking) to this. This is the back end of Chesil beach, which is a geological phenomenon - naturally graded pebbles. I like to call it a special kind of hell....

@rheddmobile I've not heard of silicone toe-caps but going to look into them. I have a problem where my pinkie and third toe tend to twist from side to side so I get a long blister forming. It's worth some research into!!! I just hope the current issues heal before the weekend as I have a walking holiday coming up!!!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    @girlinahat - I got the silicone toe guards at @rheddmobile's recommendation and I love them. I found mine on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MFN98LC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Last run of the month an a distance PR for me of 11 miles! See you guys in the October thread.

Yay! Congrats!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,646 Member
    So if my geography is right we now have athletic 3 New Zealand ladies in the group. @ContraryMaryMary , @Avidkeo and @kirstymn. So when will there be a HM Meet-up and pictures? Hawkes Bay ??

Yes! I'm keen. Where in NZ are you @kirstymn?
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited October 2019
    So if my geography is right we now have athletic 3 New Zealand ladies in the group. @ContraryMaryMary , @Avidkeo and @kirstymn. So when will there be a HM Meet-up and pictures? Hawkes Bay ??

Yes! I'm keen. Where in NZ are you @kirstymn?

Oh I could probably make hawkers Bay! When is it? (yes I'm googling...) waaaa I can't make that one, I'm hoping to be in Melbourne for conference!
  • dcolander
    dcolander Posts: 24 Member
    Cooler temperatures are coming I just walked 3.7 miles but Sunday I will lace up and try to 4 miles ..This weekend is get a workout/running plan that I can do after fighting the traffic to get home..I’m in reset mode ..Happy running everyone
    Donna
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    dcolander wrote: »
    Cooler temperatures are coming I just walked 3.7 miles but Sunday I will lace up and try to 4 miles ..This weekend is get a workout/running plan that I can do after fighting the traffic to get home..I’m in reset mode ..Happy running everyone
    Donna

Come join us in the October Thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10766490/october-2019-monthly-running-challenge :)